Subject: Can you voluntarily take an action that you cannot pay for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Davis
United States
Wauconda
Illinois
flag msg tools
The rules make it clear that you can pick an action then do either, both, or neither of the top of bottom actions and that you must pay for those that you take.

Later, rules say that if you are in a situation where you cannot pay for any available actions, you still must pick one and essentially forfeit your turn.

So I was wondering, if I have two actions that I can pay for and one that I cannot, do I have to pick from the two that I can pay for, or may I voluntarily chose an action that I cannot pay for and essentially forfeit my turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you noted, one option for your turn is that you choose a section on your player mat with your player token and simply do nothing. That's perfectly fine.

"you must pay for those that you take" is referring to the idea that if you choose to take a top- or bottom-row action, you must actually pay the cost to gain the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may voluntarily chose an action that you cannot pay for and essentially forfeit your turn.
but you will be one turn behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a couple of times so far (Christmas present) but I can see times it would be useful.

You can move away from your current action and so go back there next turn. And if you are tight on resources. Paying for a new action may prevent you from taking your really desired action in the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But why not just take an action? I have so many plays in Scythe and never had nothing to do. You always have a spare coin to bolster or move your popularity up.

And that's only if "Move" is the one you want to switch off of and have no factory card.

If you're on any other action and you want to just take an empty turn, why not go for "Gain" and take two coins for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
OurBG wrote:
But why not just take an action? I have so many plays in Scythe and never had nothing to do. You always have a spare coin to bolster or move your popularity up.

And that's only if "Move" is the one you want to switch off of and have no factory card.

If you're on any other action and you want to just take an empty turn, why not go for "Gain" and take two coins for it?

I've played a lot and seen it happen once (to me). Screwed up my planning during the opening and ended up with zero coins, no power, and my pawn already on Move. Wasn't paying enough attention to my coin pile because I don't think I'd seen it actually reach zero before (I suspect I forgot to take coins from an earlier bottom-row action.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds similar to the more common experience in Age of Steam where, via poor planning, you go bankrupt and end up out of the game right at the start. Avoiding this situation is another reason one might take a bottom row action just for a coin (or two or three) even though you cannot take the other benefits of the action...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.