Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Actually no.

I'm pleased to report that so far after 9 games into the campaign (3 days, same 3 players, no Automa), we have come through the experience without the need to seek any outside assistance or houseruling. Basically, our golden rules for this have been as follows:

* Read everything carefully
* Read it again carefully
* Discuss the things we just read and what they actually mean in terms of gameplay
* Talk through our moves
* Query a move if we are unsure and correct each other as necessary
* Talk through any permanent game changes we are making
* Don't invent any rules
* Don't worry if something crops up that doesn't have a rule, because a rule will eventually arrive
* Assign jobs and keep them fixed throughout the campaign
* Don't rush a game and don't start one you can't finish in a session
* Above all, trust the designer

Has our campaign so far been flawless? No, because there have been a few minor accountancy errors and we misinterpreted the function of a particular building for the best part of a game. However, these were our fault; typical and innocent gaming mistakes that have caused no lasting detriment to our overall experience.

Having seen a number of the BGG rules postings, it seems that many of the 'issues' are due to rules not being read properly or rules being introduced where rules are presumed missing. I'm therefore in great admiration of Jamey Stegmaier, not only for this fine creation, but for his constant vigilance and patience shown in these threads in responding to all such threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you imagine someone designing a heavier deep Euro legacy game? How painful would that be? The downside of being the designer of such a thing would be managing a never ending list of spoilerised queries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to write a rules inquiry post this morning. I started quoting the cards to show where my confusion was when I realized, oh, it's right there, isn't it?

This game should be in the hall of fame just for being one of the most excellent tutors of the skills of reading comprehension. I always thought I was a careful reader, but this game is schooling me. And I love that!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As Luke learned in "The Last Jedi", you learn most from your mistakes.

Charterstone 2 will be better!

Right Jamey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sador42 wrote:
As Luke learned in "The Last Jedi", you learn most from your mistakes.

Charterstone 2 will be better!

Right Jamey?

It's the players who need to learn. Hopefully, by Charterstone 2, people will have honed their reading skills on Charterstone 1!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.