Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please explain combat to me in this game.
I read the flow chart and the rules and I've watched videos but it is not clear what psychic vs physical combat plays out and why or how?
We've played multiple games and it's clear we are screwing this very essential part of the game up.

Also as an aside, just want to be clear. When you reach the portal. You must roll two dice against whichever, craft or stregth and if your stats are higher you cross over?

Weve been playing that you must first land in the portal tile, resolve the draw then in your next turn you roll dice to make sure you can cross over and then just simply walk in, cause we did not read anything about penalties or even how many dice to roll. (Someone here told us about the dice roll).

Please we love the game but know these two things are being mishandled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
For combat, if you’re fighting an enemy that uses strength, you will use your strength stat and, of course, roll a die and add your strength to it. You do the same for the enemy, and the one with the higher number wins. If you are fighting an enemy that uses craft, you use your craft stat, rolling a die the same as before. Certain characters may have abilities or items that allow them to use their craft in a strength battle (or vice versa) if they wish to, but most characters have to use one or the other.

When attacking another character, unless your character has an ability or item that allows you to use your craft, you use your strength stat. If your character has the ability to use craft in combat but you are not the character that initiates the combat, you must use strength, unless that ability or item states otherwise.

With the Portal of Power, you don’t have to land on the portal to attempt to get through the door. You just have to have enough movement left on your movement roll. For instance, if you’re 3 spaces away from the portal and you roll a five, you can stop on the portal and make an attempt to get through the door. If you were 3 spaces away and only rolled 3, you would have to stop and resolve the space, then you could attempt to get through the door on the following turn.

To get through the portal door, you can choose to either use strength or craft. You roll 2 dice. If the total of that roll is equal to or less than the ability you chose, you get through. Otherwise, you lose one from that ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters that CAN use craft to attack, will it say so on their cards?
We had an issue where we used a sorcerer and a wizard and naturally we thought they would use only their craft skill to fight. However midgame we thought it was wrong. Cause the sorcerer had to go out and look for spells otherwise her craft kill was useless. Although she was using it to initiate and resolve defense thinking since she was a "magic" base game...etc.
It's confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build up Strength or Craft on any character. The Wizard, Sorcerer, etc. are just made more for Craft that Strength. Nothing says that you can't have a Wizard with a Strength of 15 though.

If there is ever anything that is different about the way that your stats work, it will say it either on your character card, adventure card, or on an item that you carry. It doesn't matter if you have spells or not, you still can use and build up your Craft. You don't have to have spells to fight with.

When you attack another player, you can choose whether to attack with Craft or Strength, based on what you have the highest stats in. At that point, the player that you attack must use the same thing that you do, unless they have an ability that allows them to do something different. Note that this is only the case for other players. If you fight a monster that uses craft, then you must use craft, and vice versa for strength.

Does that make sense, or am I just completely muddling things up, for you, even worse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes lots of sense.

One last question about this. Things are MUCH clearer now.
If you are a magic user (I use that loosely) and have no spells. How are you attacking with craft.

Are we imagining fireball spells or magic missle, thematically?

Also, say you are fighting in the werewolf pits or the arena, is this all considered stregth rolls or do you defend stregth but then attack craft towards them?

I'm confused because in the base game they only say the stregth stat when these creates fight. We CANNOT fight them any other way?

We are almost there. Thank you all very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
When you reach the portal. You must roll two dice against whichever, craft or stregth and if your stats are higher you cross over?

Weve been playing that you must first land in the portal tile, resolve the draw then in your next turn you roll dice to make sure you can cross over and then just simply walk in, cause we did not read anything about penalties or even how many dice to roll. (Someone here told us about the dice roll).

This is going to sound stupid, but have you read the actual text on the space? (note that the text goes 'around the corner')

Text from space:
"....use Craft to pick the lock or Strength to force it. Choose which ability you are using and roll two dice. If the total is equal to or less than your chosen ability, move to the Plain of Peril. If it is higher, remain here and lose one from that ability."

Halborn wrote:
When you attack another player, you can choose whether to attack with Craft or Strength, based on what you have the highest stats in.

Incorrect.
Your character must have, printed on their character card the following:

"When you attack another character, you may choose to make the attack psychic combat. You may not do this when you are attacked by another character."

In the base game this is only on Wizard, Ghoul, and Sorceress.
If you are not playing one of these characters, then EVERY PvP fight MUST BE STRENGTH.
If you ARE playing one of these characters, then only when you attack can the fight be Psychic/Craft, if someone attacks you then it's still Strength.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
If you are a magic user (I use that loosely) and have no spells. How are you attacking with craft.

Are we imagining fireball spells or magic missle, thematically?

No "spell cards" are required.
Flavorfully, however you want. "Battle of wills", "playing chess", "pure mental power", whatever floats your boat.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
Also, say you are fighting in the werewolf pits or the arena, is this all considered stregth rolls or do you defend stregth but then attack craft towards them?

I'm confused because in the base game they only say the stregth stat when these creates fight. We CANNOT fight them any other way?

All fights always use the same stat for attack/defense. > If a 'monster' only has Strength, then the fight must be Strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Characters that CAN use craft to attack, will it say so on their cards?
We had an issue where we used a sorcerer and a wizard and naturally we thought they would use only their craft skill to fight. However midgame we thought it was wrong. Cause the sorcerer had to go out and look for spells otherwise her craft kill was useless. Although she was using it to initiate and resolve defense thinking since she was a "magic" base game...etc.
It's confusing.

Yes, the character card will specifically say when a character can attack another character with Craft (psychic combat). The Wizard, for example, is a character that can choose to attack people with psychic combat (Craft) instead of a normal battle (Strength). If someone attacks you with Strength, you cannot defend with Craft, even if you are a magic-wielding character like the wizard or sorceress.

(EDIT: Grarrrg beat me to answering.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:

Halborn wrote:
When you attack another player, you can choose whether to attack with Craft or Strength, based on what you have the highest stats in.

Incorrect.

"When you attack another character, you may choose to make the attack psychic combat. You may not do this when you are attacked by another character."

If you are not playing one of these characters, then EVERY PvP fight MUST BE STRENGTH.
If you ARE playing one of these characters, then only when you attack can the fight be Psychic/Craft, if someone attacks you then it's still Strength.

Thanks for setting me straight. It’s been a while since I got to play and had it screwed up in my head. Apologies for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Halborn wrote:
grarrrg wrote:

Halborn wrote:

Incorrect.

Thanks for setting me straight. It’s been a while since I got to play and had it screwed up in my head. Apologies for any confusion.

I’ve put hundreds of hours into this game, and I still have to double check the way I explain the rules, lol. I made several edits to my response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Halborn wrote:
grarrrg wrote:

Halborn wrote:

Incorrect.

I’ve put hundreds of hours into this game, and I still have to double check the way I explain the rules, lol. I made several edits to my response.

It’s actually got more rules than I think some people realize. It’s not heavy, but I think, especially with expansions, that it is deeper than many people give it credit for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.