Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Waste Knights» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion on hold ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on the card expansion ?

http://wasteknights.com/first-small-expansion-for-waste-knig...

I really like the theme and the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Birch
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been no update since they announced the 'Vistas Of The Waste' expansion that was, I believe, due for release in 2016. Was looking forward to that expansion, especially the resin miniatures they had in the pipeline.

Looks like it must of fell through with no updates on their website or from any of their representatives on here.

Just wish they would let us know what was going on.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed the designer and received a friendly answer.

Sadly the game didn't sell enough copies to continue the line. There is a chance to get some print & play files for 2 extra characters and a few cards.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordimer Madderdin
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm so are there any estimations about release date for pnp? It's a shame we didn't get the expansion which looked like finished product...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Birch
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
I emailed the designer and received a friendly answer.

Sadly the game didn't sell enough copies to continue the line. There is a chance to get some print & play files for 2 extra characters and a few cards.



Such a shame to hear that

Perhaps the expansion could be funded by Kickstarter?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Birch
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessPL wrote:
Hmm so are there any estimations about release date for pnp? It's a shame we didn't get the expansion which looked like finished product...


As you say, there was a finished product with the resin miniatures and some sample cards.

Surely this would add weight to a Kickstarter for the expansion; not just concept art or digital renderings of them but actual miniatures.

UPDATE: Ack! Didnt realise the resin miniatures were a KS exclusive as I only discovered the game whilst browsing ebay back when and missed the kickstarter. Strato Minis Studio confirmed this when I saw the minis on their facebook post history. Adding the Waste Knights KS version to My Wants list now...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download the print & play promos here. Permission granted by Marek Mydel from Transdesign. Thanks Marek.

www.viciousbyte.de/downloads/English_Promo.zip

I tried to upload to the files section but failed. My link will only be online for a few weeks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Birch
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
You can download the print & play promos here. Permission granted by Marek Mydel from Transdesign. Thanks Marek.

www.viciousbyte.de/downloads/English_Promo.zip

I tried to upload to the files section but failed. My link will only be online for a few weeks.


Thank you Henrik and Marek for these! Classic Waste Knight humour (Sylvester Steelone!)

Will have these printed and sleeved by end of day!

Such as shame that 'The Hunters' boardgame was cancelled, looked promising

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175973/hunters
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Knight
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A shame the game didn't sell well enough. I think a lot of that had to do with exposure. I stumbled across the game on miniature market, but it was really hard to get a good preview video of it to get a good handle on the gameplay. Ultimately, I had to buy it and do a 3 player run through myself.

An expansion really could have given the game a boost.

What sinks this game, though, is the tedious turn structure. The game really wants to flow fast, but having to check off each of the steps and mini steps of the turn structure really slows things down. I really want to like this game... as the art and look, and many of the systems are so cool! I kind of wish this had a game board instead of tiles, as that would cut set up time a lot and might make it more tempting to get back to the table. (since there isn't really any variety as far as what tiles will go in or out of the game, an expansion could have changed that up)

So I have played it twice since I got it. Once with my personal 3 player run through, and I played it at Wasteland Weekend. And that was cool.

And now we have Fallout, the board game, a hex tile based post apocalyptic game tied to a very successful franchise. And that is a bit more manageable to set up. And so I'm wondering if I should even keep Waste Knights at this point, since I own other games that pretty much does what WK does... and with less fiddliness.

I also own Post Human, but that plays out very differently, even though it is also fiddly. It's not quite as fiddly. And then I also have Outlive, a very different type of post apocalyptic experience.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Birch
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: Some searching has revealed that 'The Hunters' boardgame is on the verge of a new kickstarter: https://www.facebook.com/officinamonstrorum/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordhoban wrote:

What sinks this game, though, is the tedious turn structure...

And now we have Fallout, the board game, a hex tile based post apocalyptic game tied to a very successful franchise. And that is a bit more manageable to set up. And so I'm wondering if I should even keep Waste Knights at this point, since I own other games that pretty much does what WK does... and with less fiddliness.

I also own Post Human, but that plays out very differently, even though it is also fiddly. It's not quite as fiddly.



I sold Post Human very fast as I found it less attractive and more fiddly than Waste Knight. I really have no problem with Waste Knights turn structure and really appreciate the player interaction, especially when playing the Waster. In this regard it stands head and shoulder above the multiplayer solitaire which is Fallout. I skippped that also for its 'acclaimed' victory conditions.

I guess Fallout can be salvaged by addons and Waste Knight could need one too for more diversity. I like its combat and event systetem really much and it has art & style, something I was missing from the very dry Post Human.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Birch
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordhoban wrote:
And now we have Fallout, the board game, a hex tile based post apocalyptic game tied to a very successful franchise. And that is a bit more manageable to set up. And so I'm wondering if I should even keep Waste Knights at this point, since I own other games that pretty much does what WK does... and with less fiddliness.



Back in the days when the Fallout boardgame didnt exist, I had toyed with the idea of doing a Fallout conversion for Waste Knights. I had even toyed with setting it in other parts of the world by removing the Australian specific tiles and board frame and doing homemade replacements to represent them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Knight
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
lordhoban wrote:

What sinks this game, though, is the tedious turn structure...

And now we have Fallout, the board game, a hex tile based post apocalyptic game tied to a very successful franchise. And that is a bit more manageable to set up. And so I'm wondering if I should even keep Waste Knights at this point, since I own other games that pretty much does what WK does... and with less fiddliness.

I also own Post Human, but that plays out very differently, even though it is also fiddly. It's not quite as fiddly.



I sold Post Human very fast as I found it less attractive and more fiddly than Waste Knight. I really have no problem with Waste Knights turn structure and really appreciate the player interaction, especially when playing the Waster. In this regard it stands head and shoulder above the multiplayer solitaire which is Fallout. I skippped that also for its 'acclaimed' victory conditions.

I guess Fallout can be salvaged by addons and Waste Knight could need one too for more diversity. I like its combat and event systetem really much and it has art & style, something I was missing from the very dry Post Human.


Post Human is just different... but I'm not sure I'm keeping that one, either.

I love Fallout. There is much more a sense of exploration and story. And it is much easier to set up. Plus, it is set up to be very easily expandable.

I like many aspects of Waste Knights, but the things that drag it down are what keep me from wanting to set it up again. I like the combat system, for instance, but at the same time, I don't think it's as fluid as it should be, or as refined as it needs to be to be very effective.

The turn structure is a beast, and could use a lot of streamlining. The market doesn't seem useful at all, because the nature of the game makes it a race. I was going to modify this as a free action, just to give the market more validity.

I'm sure it plays better if you have a group of friends who want to play the same post apocalyptic game regularly, but for an every once in awhile thing, it feels like way too much effort for what it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waste Knights: Second Edition
2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.