Popular Tags: [View All]
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the fence about acquiring this title. I love Cole's games, Pax Pamir is one of my favorite games. However, they seldom get played due to the time commitment. Those who have played John Company, what is your realistic estimate for an optimal size group playing a an optimal version of the game (not a shortened version)? Assume a couple of AP moments and hard negotiation around the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the learning games I saw were in the 4-5 hour mark. It will depend a lot on how much time your group spends negotiating. I think the 90-180 mark listed would be normal if you had it all down or your group doesn't spend forever in negotiations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Charles Stoddart (artwork from Pax Pamir 2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
luigicool wrote:
I am on the fence about acquiring this title. I love Cole's games, Pax Pamir is one of my favorite games. However, they seldom get played due to the time commitment. Those who have played John Company, what is your realistic estimate for an optimal size group playing a an optimal version of the game (not a shortened version)? Assume a couple of AP moments and hard negotiation around the table.

The more you negotiate (which, IMHO is the point of the game) the longer it runs. I think the earlier discussion about it is fairly on point in that regard: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1887976/game-length

Personally, our games (with a mix of mostly experienced people and a couple newbies) have run about 4 hours for a complete 6 turn game with about 5 people (if the company blows up earlier, it's a much wider range of times). It does take longer with more people, but I find it more enjoyable as well. 6p almost overstays it's welcome, but the pricing and desperation in negotiations ratchets up more so than any other player count and it's probably the most enjoyable if we have the time. 4p is the shortest time spot at about 3.5 hours (again, assuming heavy negotiations and dickering).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies. I missed the earlier thread, thank you for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4-player, 6-turn game last night with three new players and lots of negotiation. It went two and a half hours.

Great game. Highly recommended.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Played a 4-player, 6-turn game last night with three new players and lots of negotiation. It went two and a half hours.

Great game. Highly recommended.

I hope we can get games played in the same time frame. I originally passed on buying this because of the negotation mechanic, but was sold on cheap postage and realistic timeframe (and it is a SMG title). But subsequent posts seem to report it being a 4-6 hour beast. We'll see how we go, but I have my doubts this will get much table time unless 2.5 hours is realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.