Subject: Should i get this game? help deciding!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys, with the preorder on amazon i am debating with myself if i should get this game.

I have been debating on getting descent too, but never made the jump.

As you can see from my collection (https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Tanori), me and my groupd play many types of games, we are usually 4, but most of the time its just me and my wife, we usually play once or twice a week.

So help me guys, based on the games we own, do you think we should make the jump?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is so much content on this game, 36 reviews and 219 videos, if you haven't decided by now, no one will be able to persuade or dissuade you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
People who don't like Monopoly Millionaire won't like Gloomhaven. It is known.
JK, obviously.
I don't see any dungeon crawler on your list, so it is hard to say. Gloomhaven does facilitate people dropping in and out, so having a core of 2 players, with 2 others joining in on occasion is no problem.

If I were you, I'd read and watch some reviews. They should give you some idea if you'd like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
There is so much content on this game, 36 reviews and 219 videos, if you haven't decided by now, no one will be able to persuade or dissuade you.

And 2.2K comments ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, based on what you own, if you like the exploration and puzzle-ish nature of Mansions of Madness, the coordination and difficulty of Ghost Stories, and the "Choose a top and bottom action" of Scythe, I am going to say Gloomhaven is a no-brainer for you. Those are three games that I own as well, and Gloomhaven has all of that mixed with some character building and story choices. My girlfriend does not like anything that has too many rules, and after we made it through GloomHaven once, she went and bought her own set of pencils to keep track of her character since she did not like the ones I use - that may sound silly, but my point is I have never seen her react to a complicated game like that before.

Well I agree with the above that there are so many reviews of the game that you should be able to make a call, I feel pretty confident in recommending it based off of your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hancoski
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should but you can't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This question on these forums is like walking up to a priest in a church and asking if you should become Christian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
This question on these forums is like walking up to a priest in a church and asking if you should become Christian.

He should ask it in the Kingdon Death forum and then average the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
People make this too complicated.

Yes. Skip Descendant get Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely not-- it's not for you. Also, avoid the reviews, they are just a long winded way of telling you what I just did.

your welcome. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't buy this game...it's just an elaborate farce. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:

Maybe he has seen the right recommendation yet......so lemme try....

FUGG YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörn Mang
Germany
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it with my wife and we occasionally have people dropping in for 2-3 scenarios. I can very much recommend this game. We're about 20 scenarios in, the game has been great from the start and it keeps getting more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it. My own collection shares a good bit in common with yours - I should add you as a GeekBuddy in fact* - so that might help you decide.

*done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I just preordered it, hope I like it...

Btw any geek buddy is welcome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Without reading anything but your subject line, my answer is yes. It is by far the best dungeon crawl/rpg board game I have played so far. That includes KDM which is probably tied. However I played with a copy that has the removable stickers. Making GH legacy is a sin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Before I get burnt at the stake for calling KDM a dungeon crawl, its close enough, but the main similarity is how amazing the game is. If it were not for the fact that Middara looks like it may soon be coming, and that 2 friends already own GH, I would buy it myself just to solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
Hi guys, with the preorder on amazon i am debating with myself if i should get this game.

I have been debating on getting descent too, but never made the jump.

As you can see from my collection (https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Tanori), me and my groupd play many types of games, we are usually 4, but most of the time its just me and my wife, we usually play once or twice a week.

So help me guys, based on the games we own, do you think we should make the jump?

I understand why you asked this here, but it's a little like going into a bar and asking someone if you should order a drink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope! You shouldn't get it.

It's very popular and if you don't get it, there's less chance of a wait for the rest of us devildevildevil Game stores have huge lines for preorders anyway, you might not get it soon anyway.

It's not a good game anyway. Just pushed up to #1 by fanboys and hype. Not the real thing, not at all. ninja

Wait till February or something and then see whether the ratings hold up after everyone's got their hands on the second printing. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppo Sinisalo
Finland
flag msg tools
Have 3 friends to play with - yes.

No to the above question - dont't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagoondragon wrote:
Have 3 friends to play with - yes.

No to the above question - dont't

Or 2 friends. Or 1. Or 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.