World in Flames» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Advice for a newbie playing Japan in 1941? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a relative newb playing a solitaire Global War game, using Matrix WIF (and thus RAW7). It's J/A 1941. I'm using limited overseas supply, oil, ships in flames, carrier planes, DIVs, indeed many optional rules. (I've got a handle on land operations; Barbarossa is moving along nicely.) But I am really unsure of how to handle Japan's initial conquests. If anyone can take the time to answer, I'd appreciate it! (FYI, I've posted a similar question in the Matrix WIF forums, but no one has replied yet.)

Right now I have 2 AMPH and 3 TRANS on the map, with one of each arriving in N/D 1941, and one more AMPH in J/F 1942. Some specific questions:

1. Do I need an HQ in Malaya? As of now, I've positioned a Japanese INF in Singora. As I read the supply rules, the INF can use Singora's port as part of a basic supply path, so it can grab the (undefended) Malaya resource and then move on to undefended Kuala Lumpur (KL), the capital of Malaya. KL is 3 hexes from Singora, so the INF will be in supply if the weather is Fine, but OOS if it's rain or storm or blizzard. KL can't serve as a secondary supply source until Malaya is conquered, and that won't happen until the Conquest step at the end of the turn. KL is a port, but that won't help me unless I have CPs in the Bay of Bengal; maybe that should be part of the plan? Anyway, I'm inclined to think I need an HQ in Malaya, but I'm not sure.

2. How to assault Singapore? To conquer Malaya (a minor country), I could just sit in KL for the whole turn, as there are no factories -- but that wouldn't win me control of Singapore, which has CW land and naval units protecting it. The only advantage of waiting is that after conquest I could use KL as a secondary supply source, obviating the need for an HQ. But I'm not sure I want to wait around that long. So again I'm wondering if I need Yamashita or someone here. (I'm assuming that amphibious invasion of Singapore is a bad idea.) I suppose paradropping in conjunction with a land assault would be a good thing, though?

3. How to capture the NEI? Formally speaking, I just need to take and hold Batavia, and again wait until the Conquest stage. Batavia is defended by two TERRs. But since Production takes place before Conquest, ideally shouldn't I also land at Balikpapan and Tarakan as well?

4. Do I need an HQ near Batavia? If I invade on hexes near Batavia, then march overland to the capital, maybe I can avoid the use of a HQ by relying on coastal supply? I don't mind using HQs, but they're tied up in China...

5. What do I need to take an undefended Rabaul? Right now I have a 4-combat MAR stationed on Truk, and a MTN corps in Japan. Do I need the MTN to overcome the notional on Rabaul, even on a surprise impulse?

6. More generally, which invasions require MAR (and therefore transports), and which INF (and therefore require AMPH)? Are my current 2 AMPH enough? As I mentioned, I have a third coming in N/D, and a fourth in J/F. Four maybe was overkill?

7. Finally, how and when does one get to Burma? Overland looks slow; amphibious looks risky.

Thanks in advance for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
I'm a relative newb playing a solitaire Global War game, using Matrix WIF (and thus RAW7). It's J/A 1941. I'm using limited overseas supply, oil, ships in flames, carrier planes, DIVs, indeed many optional rules. (I've got a handle on land operations; Barbarossa is moving along nicely.) But I am really unsure of how to handle Japan's initial conquests. If anyone can take the time to answer, I'd appreciate it! (FYI, I've posted a similar question in the Matrix WIF forums, but no one has replied yet.)

Right now I have 2 AMPH and 3 TRANS on the map, with one of each arriving in N/D 1941, and one more AMPH in J/F 1942. Some specific questions:

[q="Grotius"]1. Do I need an HQ in Malaya? As of now, I've positioned a Japanese INF in Singora. As I read the supply rules, the INF can use Singora's port as part of a basic supply path, so it can grab the (undefended) Malaya resource and then move on to undefended Kuala Lumpur (KL), the capital of Malaya. KL is 3 hexes from Singora, so the INF will be in supply if the weather is Fine, but OOS if it's rain or storm or blizzard. KL can't serve as a secondary supply source until Malaya is conquered, and that won't happen until the Conquest step at the end of the turn. KL is a port, but that won't help me unless I have CPs in the Bay of Bengal; maybe that should be part of the plan? Anyway, I'm inclined to think I need an HQ in Malaya, but I'm not sure.

If Singapore is well defended, you probably DO want an HQ in Malaya.

Grotius wrote:
2. How to assault Singapore? To conquer Malaya (a minor country), I could just sit in KL for the whole turn, as there are no factories -- but that wouldn't win me control of Singapore, which has CW land and naval units protecting it. The only advantage of waiting is that after conquest I could use KL as a secondary supply source, obviating the need for an HQ. But I'm not sure I want to wait around that long. So again I'm wondering if I need Yamashita or someone here. (I'm assuming that amphibious invasion of Singapore is a bad idea.) I suppose paradropping in conjunction with a land assault would be a good thing, though?

Go after Singapore as quickly as you can. Yeah, you probably want Yamashita there. Yeah, amphibious assaults against a well-defended Singapore are painful. You get two hexes against Singapore, so you probably want an HQ, three more corps, and a couple of divs (or art) - though it will depend on how strongly it's defended. Be sure to have a good fleet of BBs around for offensive shore bombardment. And you may need a bomber or two (or CVPs) to groundstrike the defenders. If you can flip them and put them out of supply (with LOS, Allies need to keep a CP in Bay of Bengal, which may not be easy) it gets much easier.

Grotius wrote:
3. How to capture the NEI? Formally speaking, I just need to take and hold Batavia, and again wait until the Conquest stage. Batavia is defended by two TERRs. But since Production takes place before Conquest, ideally shouldn't I also land at Balikpapan and Tarakan as well?

As you said, Batavia's all you need (what two TERR does the defense have there?). But on a surprise impulse, you should be able to drop a division on at least one of the other oil hexes too, to get it into production sooner. In surprise impulse, the standard one-point notional will be reduced by 1 for surprise and assuming clear weather and invading from at least the 3 box, a division should be able to take the hex.

Grotius wrote:
4. Do I need an HQ near Batavia? If I invade on hexes near Batavia, then march overland to the capital, maybe I can avoid the use of a HQ by relying on coastal supply? I don't mind using HQs, but they're tied up in China...

You won't need an HQ for supply; your guys will be on the coast, but with LOS you will need a CP or TRS or AMPH to supply any of your guys only on the E. Indian Ocean coast.

Grotius wrote:
5. What do I need to take an undefended Rabaul? Right now I have a 4-combat MAR stationed on Truk, and a MTN corps in Japan. Do I need the MTN to overcome the notional on Rabaul, even on a surprise impulse?

IF Rabaul is undefended and IF the weather is fair, on a surprise impulse its defense will be zero so a div can invade from the 3 or 4 box and 99% of the time take it. Even if not a surprise impulse, you should be able to put Rabaul OOS long enough to take it, again with a zero defense. You don't need the MTN, which anyway doesn't have any special powers on offense in mountainous terrain apart from being able to go over impassable mountain hexsides.

Grotius wrote:
6. More generally, which invasions require MAR (and therefore transports), and which INF (and therefore require AMPH)? Are my current 2 AMPH enough? As I mentioned, I have a third coming in N/D, and a fourth in J/F. Four maybe was overkill?

You can never have too many AMPH and TRS. which invasion needs MAR will depend greatly on where the strongest defenders are and where your offensive is prioritizing. Don't forget you also have to take out Manila, which is also easier to get to on the surprise impulse, depending on how its defended.

Grotius wrote:
7. Finally, how and when does one get to Burma? Overland looks slow; amphibious looks risky.

Walk from Siam. It'll take a while. If you're serious about taking Burma to get to India, then you should consider later on doing flanking amphibious attacks.

As for timing overall - study the weather charts. You really want to go in an impulse where it's fair weather in both N and S Monsoon zones. Nov/Dec gives the best chance of that (a good chance but not guaranteed). Otherwise, its more important to have fair in the N monsoon zone, since that's where Manila and Singapore are.

Also be sure you have an offensive chit; you may well want to play an offensive to do a supercombined on the impulse you go to war, so you can move all of your navies and do a bunch of land attacks on the same impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all those wonderful replies! Very helpful stuff indeed. I especially appreciate the comments on attacking notionals in the surprise impulse, the weather, and the capabilities of a MTN unit. I'm ready to give it a go. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, what two units are in Batavia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One is a 3-2 NEI TERR corps. The other is a 2-2 MIL corps, named "Batavia", with the same coloring, plus the designation "R" (Reserve, apparently). The 3-2 is a TERR, but the 2-2 is a MIL, then?

I put those units there myself in some earlier turn. I'm guessing the Batavia MIL unit had to go there, but maybe the TERR could have gone in one of the oil hexes?

Note the stupid stockpile of oil in Palembang. It's piling up! I haven't had enough CPs to use all my saved oil, and I'm surely doing it wrong. What's more, the CW has a 2-5 ENG DIV in Singapore, a half-dozen cruisers -- and 8 stored oil, lol. I have not been efficient about getting resources from Asia to CW factories. That stored oil would be a giant gift to Japan, wouldn't it. (I guess the CW can voluntarily destroy it when the time comes, but I'm trying to figure a way to ship it somewhere else.)

Keep in mind: this is my first Global War game, and I'm playing solitaire, so incompetence is the order of the day, lol. Also, I'm using MWIF, but I'm deliberately trying to test my understanding of the rules as I play. So I compute combat odds before I consult the program's calculation, I try to predict whether a certain move will put a unit OOS, I calculate surprise points manually before peeking at what the computer says, etc. All the while reading RAW8 too, to prepare for a tabletop solitaire game when the Collector's Edition arrives -- and eventually for a face-to-face or Vassal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
One is a 3-2 NEI TERR corps. The other is a 2-2 MIL corps, named "Batavia", with the same coloring, plus the designation "R" (Reserve, apparently). The 3-2 is a TERR, but the 2-2 is a MIL, then?

I put those units there myself in some earlier turn. I'm guessing the Batavia MIL unit had to go there, but maybe the TERR could have gone in one of the oil hexes?

Note the stupid stockpile of oil in Palembang. It's piling up! I haven't had enough CPs to use all my saved oil, and I'm surely doing it wrong. What's more, the CW has a 2-5 ENG DIV in Singapore, a half-dozen cruisers -- and 8 stored oil, lol. I have not been efficient about getting resources from Asia to CW factories. That stored oil would be a giant gift to Japan, wouldn't it. (I guess the CW can voluntarily destroy it when the time comes, but I'm trying to figure a way to ship it somewhere else.)

Keep in mind: this is my first Global War game, and I'm playing solitaire, so incompetence is the order of the day, lol. Also, I'm using MWIF, but I'm deliberately trying to test my understanding of the rules as I play. So I compute combat odds before I consult the program's calculation, I try to predict whether a certain move will put a unit OOS, I calculate surprise points manually before peeking at what the computer says, etc. All the while reading RAW8 too, to prepare for a tabletop solitaire game when the Collector's Edition arrives -- and eventually for a face-to-face or Vassal game.

No you're fine. Yes, the Batavia guy is a militia, and a reserve. It was called out as a reserve after Germany attacked the Netherlands, presumably. On defense, I'd keep them both in Batavia, too. I was just curious because you said two TERR and I was pretty sure NEI only had one!

Yeah, storing oil in vulnerable places is a recipe for disaster...

I've never played Matrix WIF but I've heard from others too that it's a decent way to learn WIF since it does enforce rules.

Also when I gave you my advice, I'd forgotten that MWIF uses the Europe scale for Asia - though I don't think that changes anything I'd said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply. I like MWIF, but one problem it had until recently was routing oil and resources in convoys, during the Production step. I probably could have found more factories for the oil piling up, but my frustration with the Production/convoy forms led me to give up more than once. Fortunately, the UI is much better now.

Another way to draw down that oil (instead of using it for production) would be to use it to reorg things. I've got a chain of CPs back to the UK, so I'll try to use the Singapore/NEI oil for that, but I won't need 11 oil!

Is there any way to move saved oil? I can't transport it with TRANS or AMPHs, I assume. Can one move it by rail?

Incidentally, MWIF's enforcement of the rules is great -- but it's also a crutch. I'm trying my best to "test" myself against the program with every move I make, by guessing the rule before MWIF enforces it, but in some cases it's just very easy to let the program do the work for you. Oil-reorg is one of those cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Wendell, I think you are generally fine.

I have a strategy piece on the Japanese first turn invasion but unfortunately I'm not home now so I don't have access to it or the maps :-(

My other caveat is that I don't play with the Matrix computer game, and there are apparently some map differences, so if what I say seems crazy, it may be from the map differences (or maybe I'm crazy).

Obviously, always invade in good weather, the historical N/D 1941 is a good time.

I usually view that Japan starts 'outward'. It is much easier with div's, and since you play with them, get as many as you can.

For Java, if Batavia is too well defended,I usually use my 4 moving HQ and a mountain to land on the other port - it has to be these pieces, they can move into the mountain hexes without flipping. they then move on to Batavia. Usually a division or two can take the oil in Sumatra.

As Wendell said, move by land to Rangoon. Here again you have to check the differences between the matrix and regular maps, but a fast mover shoudl be able to close the distance. Your other MTN can be good for this.

I usually do initial landings on Legaspi, grab the Philippine resource and move onto Manila. If the territorial and MacArthur are there, this will take reinforcements and time, so get the port and the port and the resource and and land reinforcements. If MacArthur has been moved out, obviously taking it is much simpler.

You also must take Singapore. If the CW has 2 white print units there, this will be a slog. You definitely will need the power you can get. It is best if you play with isolated reorg. I do, so usually I just keep ground striking until I flip (sorry, for Matrix gamers this is 'disorganize') them and attack while flipped and out of supply. Unfortunately your LND bombers stink but just keep plugging away. If Singapore has less defense

If Rabaul is open, take it. If the invasion is too difficult (it shouldn't be) land units on the other hexes on the island and take Rabaul overland.

Use your divisions to take out small nearby islands, like Guam, wake, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I like MWIF, but one problem it had until recently was routing oil and resources in convoys, during the Production step. I probably could have found more factories for the oil piling up, but my frustration with the Production/convoy forms led me to give up more than once. Fortunately, the UI is much better now.

Another way to draw down that oil (instead of using it for production) would be to use it to reorg things. I've got a chain of CPs back to the UK, so I'll try to use the Singapore/NEI oil for that, but I won't need 11 oil!

Is there any way to move saved oil? I can't transport it with TRANS or AMPHs, I assume. Can one move it by rail?

Incidentally, MWIF's enforcement of the rules is great -- but it's also a crutch. I'm trying my best to "test" myself against the program with every move I make, by guessing the rule before MWIF enforces it, but in some cases it's just very easy to let the program do the work for you. Oil-reorg is one of those cases.

Yes you can move saved oil by rail or obviously ship it, just like oil in the production step.

Note for people playing WiFCE, you can directly use overseas oil for action in WiFCE without needing a pipeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the Matrix WIF map is all Europe-scale. In principle I like this design choice, as I think it makes sense for the PC game -- but I can see some advantages to the boardgame system of differing scales. In the computer game, I feel like I have to scroll all over the place to figure out what's going on in the Pacific; it's part of why I'm disoriented in trying to plan these attacks. A smaller-scale paper map might be easier to grok.

Also, in China, the computer game opens up lots of room for maneuver, which is tactically interesting and maybe more fun. (Impossible for me to say until I've played both versions.) But I'm not sure it's as faithful a simulation as the more densely-packed boardgame scale. Then again, that's the front of the war of least interest to me, so I don't feel strongly one way or the other.

I love the size and look of the map of the Pacific in "Empire of the Sun"; I'm very curious to see how the WIFCE Pacific map will compare. I hope I'll find out in the next few weeks! I'm itching to get my hands on the Collector's Edition, which I ordered last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John P
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Breunor wrote:

I have a strategy piece on the Japanese first turn invasion but unfortunately I'm not home now so I don't have access to it or the maps :-(

Bruce, can you post that strategy piece when you get home please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.