Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Is there a typical shipping cost for Marketplace? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Coe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is typical shipping for 1 boxed game from the marketplace?

I made an assumption that it would be close to what shipping ebay would be. I purchased a game here and got a shipping rate 3x higher than what most ebay sellars were listing it at.

I feel a little put over. Like when you see most items list for 50 with free shipping, then see one listed for for 30 but they charge 20 bucks to ship it.

I haven't bought a game from here yet. Is really high shipping the norm?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Figure about $12-$15 as a good rough estimate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis V
United States
Oxnard
California
flag msg tools
Follow me on Instagram! @accio.boardgames
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, shipping costs are usually the actual shipping costs. Most games, if bought alone, will fit in a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box and most sellers I've dealt with use this option. Cost is anywhere between $12.40 and $13.60 depending on whether the seller gets a commercial discount.

If your game is larger than will fit in that box, or the seller just chose not to use that method, your cost could very well be up to $20 or so depending on weight, and if they're across the country. It's always good practice to ask how much shipping will be before committing to a purchase
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it is what the seller tells you before you purchase it. I have purchased/sold shipped games for as low as $7 to as high as $40 via the marketplace. eBay would be exactly the same for the same item and buyer/seller.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TyphonInc wrote:
How much is typical shipping for 1 boxed game from the marketplace?

I made an assumption that it would be close to what shipping ebay would be. I purchased a game here and got a shipping rate 3x higher than what most ebay sellars were listing it at.

I feel a little put over. Like when you see most items list for 50 with free shipping, then see one listed for for 30 but they charge 20 bucks to ship it.

I haven't bought a game from here yet. Is really high shipping the norm?


You're buying from a seller. That seller could be a individual or a person running a business.

You're paying the seller to ship the item to you. Each seller has their own method of determining the fees.

So yes, it's exactly like ebay is expected to be.

Ask the seller up front for the shipping estimate then make your decision from there. You're not paying the USPS or UPS or FedEx, you're paying them. They are not under obligation to pass exact costs to you. They have overhead and other fees (tape, gas, time, etc...). So find out first then determine if you're buying.

That said, 3x the expected seems quite high. Are they in the same country?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Troyan
United States
Elkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I shop around to buy, I always try to look where the seller is located. If they are west coast, and Im east coast, its typically about $5-10 more depending upon size.

As a seller, I hope people have looked at that, but Ive had many people in west coast states cancel a purchase after I give them a shipping estimate from the post office of $14 or $17 or something like that. Just means they didn't consider that aspect of the purchase...either that or they get spoiled by amazon.

I do appreciate when a seller will investigate alternate methods. I've had one ship it by Greyhound freight. Took a long time to arrive (especially since it got stuck in the Houston flooding last year), but it saved me over $40 shipping from California. Also had someone break up things into 2 flat rates that turned out to be cheaper than a single box.

I've rarely seen people "profit" from shipping like used to be done on Ebay all the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping is going to vary by the seller, and do remember that many people are doing this personally and not as a business. A lot of people use USPS Flat Rate because it's easy and the prices are fixed. You are paying the actual cost of that and not a reduced price that best fits the game's size and weight. I've mailed a number of things through BGG and another site and I don't mind taking the time to get the buyer the lowest shipping, but I don't have a large volume of packages to send out so it doesn't take very long. Also be aware that $5 shipping is not a thing unless the box is less than 12" long and 12-14 oz.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold a lot out of my personal collection over the years. The ones that fit in a Medium Flat Rate box are reasonable (currently $13.60 anywhere in the US).

Once they don't fit, the cost to me jumps to $25+ and it starts to become a problem. Unfortunately, without some sort of business shipping discount, there isn't much to be done about it. Like many sellers here, my shipping charge is the exact cost to me.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, lots of people are really dumb and don't know how to save money on packaging, postage, etc.

Still allowed to sell on both bgg and ebay, though!

If a sale doesn't feel right don't buy it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sold around 10k in games on here. I do not own a business so shipping is what it cost me which is usually flat rate medium box. In all of my listings, I state the cost to ship though which is just my best estimate if it's not flat rate. Even though sometimes I may short myself or the buyer by a buck or two, being upfront helps the items to sell easier because there are no suprises. I do have a genuinely good idea though after many sales on how much it costs.

There isn't a good reason for sellers to gouge on shipping other than greed. If I bought a game and the shipping was noticeably higher I would ask to cancel the sale.

However. I will say that shipping quotes, in my experience, on EBay do tend to be lower than actual cost to ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
There isn't a good reason for sellers to gouge on shipping other than greed.


There is nothing in evidence however that any gouging is going on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Socha
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
It really depends on the size of the box, the weight, delivery service, and the distance between buyer and seller. I've shipped a good amount of stuff from the east coast. It can be expensive shipping to the west coast. It rarely makes sense to ship flat rate box if the item can fit in such a box. Flat rate is good for seller convenience, not cost. Also it's cheaper if the seller purchases their postage online. They might be going to a shipping outlet which charges a higher cost. Without specifics its hard to say whether their quoted cost is ripping you off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It should also be noted that many eBay sellers underprice domestic shipping because eBay charges the same fees on the item price and the shipping cost.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy a lot of stuff on here and a lot of stuff on eBay. It does seem to me that the seller culture on eBay tends toward padding the asking price upwards in order to make shipping costs appear low or free. The seller culture on BGG, on the other hand, is to ask for the price that you actually want to pocket, and then add on whatever it actually costs to ship to the individual buyer. This is not uniformly true on either platform, of course, but it seems to be the case broadly.

Quote:
I feel a little put over. Like when you see most items list for 50 with free shipping, then see one listed for for 30 but they charge 20 bucks to ship it.


Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but how are those things materially different? It's just two different approaches to itemizing the total cost.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
yatescory wrote:
There isn't a good reason for sellers to gouge on shipping other than greed.


There is nothing in evidence however that any gouging is going on.


And I didn't say there was... neither of us know his exact situation in terms of game and numbers, but I do know after selling ten thousand dollars worth of games on here what a gouge would look like even with the cost of a couple feet of tape and gas. If he wants to open up more I would gladly tell him if I think its a gouge.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after you "purchase" on here and get the shipping quote when they confirm, you can always opt out at that point, no harm no foul.

If you are concerned about the cost of shipping, inquire with the seller via geekmail. Perhaps there is a good reason, perhaps not.

If you don't feel the justification is good, then just tell the seller you opt out, and they can put it back in their inventory.

Easy peasy.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Frantz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's accurate or not, but sometimes it seems like combining games from an auction does NOT save money. Shipping them separately could be cheaper, especially if they'll fit in the flat rat box individually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping games is expensive.

I'm shipping 7lbs today from MO to arizona. its $19.5 with ebay discount!

that same box is $9ish to states around here and would be around $25 to California.

I don't usually ship using medium flat rate, as that only makes sense if the package is in 4 or high lb range, and so it is usually 2-3$ more expensive.

It is easier if you don't have a scale. But really, if you sell more than one boardgame a year you should own a scale, as it pays for itself on discounts. You can print using paypals shipping center and get the same discounts you do on ebay. (say $2.61 for a 4oz first class instead of reg price of $3.30 for 4oz)

you save a million hours not waiting in line at the post office.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
$50 + free shipping = $40 game + $10 shipping already built in.
Not free.
Never.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a gamer (not a business), that buys games I want to try, and sells games that I decide not to keep. I have a near monthly BGG auction and have sold to people in all 50 states. I live in TN.

If a game fits in a Priority mailer, I use that as it's easy, and low cost to both the buyer and me. This runs from ~$7-$18 depending on the game size. I also use regional mailers when requested as they can be cheaper (shipping cost) if the buyer lives in a closer proximity, but they are harder to ship, because the boxes need to be ordered, and I have to go to the post office to buy the postage for them.

If a game needs a larger box, or smaller box, or multiple games are purchased I put them an appropriate box (usually one left over from an order I placed) and I find the buyer the cheapest shipping possible, unfortunately anything over 12" and 5 pounds tends to get pretty spendy, and if you live in certain parts of CA, MT, or ID it can get ridiculous, upwards of $40 from TN.

Every time I've sold something on eBay, eBay always miscalculates the shipping costs charged, and I end up taking a hit on shipping. I avoid it as much as possible.

My point is that there is no average cost, as there are a lot of variables. That said, 3 times what you expected sounds bad, but it depends on what you expected, and whether that was a reasonable expectation.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
I'm a gamer (not a business), that buys games I want to try, and sells games that I decide not to keep. I have a near monthly BGG auction and have sold to people in all 50 states. I live in TN.

If a game fits in a Priority mailer, I use that as it's easy, and low cost to both the buyer and me. This runs from ~$7-$18 depending on the game size. I also use regional mailers when requested as they can be cheaper (shipping cost) if the buyer lives in a closer proximity, but they are harder to ship, because the boxes need to be ordered, and I have to go to the post office to buy the postage for them.

If a game needs a larger box, or smaller box, or multiple games are purchased I put them an appropriate box (usually one left over from an order I placed) and I find the buyer the cheapest shipping possible, unfortunately anything over 12" and 5 pounds tends to get pretty spendy, and if you live in certain parts of CA, MT, or ID it can get ridiculous, upwards of $40 from TN.

Every time I've sold something on eBay, eBay always miscalculates the shipping costs charged, and I end up taking a hit on shipping. I avoid it as much as possible.

My point is that there is no average cost, as there are a lot of variables. That said, 3 times what you expected sounds bad, but it depends on what you expected, and whether that was a reasonable expectation.


Regional Rate postage can be printed on usps.com
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
jmathias wrote:
I'm a gamer (not a business), that buys games I want to try, and sells games that I decide not to keep. I have a near monthly BGG auction and have sold to people in all 50 states. I live in TN.

If a game fits in a Priority mailer, I use that as it's easy, and low cost to both the buyer and me. This runs from ~$7-$18 depending on the game size. I also use regional mailers when requested as they can be cheaper (shipping cost) if the buyer lives in a closer proximity, but they are harder to ship, because the boxes need to be ordered, and I have to go to the post office to buy the postage for them.

If a game needs a larger box, or smaller box, or multiple games are purchased I put them an appropriate box (usually one left over from an order I placed) and I find the buyer the cheapest shipping possible, unfortunately anything over 12" and 5 pounds tends to get pretty spendy, and if you live in certain parts of CA, MT, or ID it can get ridiculous, upwards of $40 from TN.

Every time I've sold something on eBay, eBay always miscalculates the shipping costs charged, and I end up taking a hit on shipping. I avoid it as much as possible.

My point is that there is no average cost, as there are a lot of variables. That said, 3 times what you expected sounds bad, but it depends on what you expected, and whether that was a reasonable expectation.


Regional Rate postage can be printed on usps.com


Could you send me a link to that, cause I've only seen options for priority and parcel post when I try to ship through the USPS website.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
jmathias wrote:
I'm a gamer (not a business), that buys games I want to try, and sells games that I decide not to keep. I have a near monthly BGG auction and have sold to people in all 50 states. I live in TN.

If a game fits in a Priority mailer, I use that as it's easy, and low cost to both the buyer and me. This runs from ~$7-$18 depending on the game size. I also use regional mailers when requested as they can be cheaper (shipping cost) if the buyer lives in a closer proximity, but they are harder to ship, because the boxes need to be ordered, and I have to go to the post office to buy the postage for them.

If a game needs a larger box, or smaller box, or multiple games are purchased I put them an appropriate box (usually one left over from an order I placed) and I find the buyer the cheapest shipping possible, unfortunately anything over 12" and 5 pounds tends to get pretty spendy, and if you live in certain parts of CA, MT, or ID it can get ridiculous, upwards of $40 from TN.

Every time I've sold something on eBay, eBay always miscalculates the shipping costs charged, and I end up taking a hit on shipping. I avoid it as much as possible.

My point is that there is no average cost, as there are a lot of variables. That said, 3 times what you expected sounds bad, but it depends on what you expected, and whether that was a reasonable expectation.


Regional Rate postage can be printed on usps.com


Could you send me a link to that, cause I've only seen options for priority and parcel post when I try to ship through the USPS website.


Not all sender/recipient combos are eligible for regional rate, but when you do click n ship via USPS, instead of choosing extra sized (greater than 12") and flat rate, just specify the weight then select "view available services and prices" near the bottom - this will define all methods available to you for your package weight and zip code combos.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
jmathias wrote:
I'm a gamer (not a business), that buys games I want to try, and sells games that I decide not to keep. I have a near monthly BGG auction and have sold to people in all 50 states. I live in TN.

If a game fits in a Priority mailer, I use that as it's easy, and low cost to both the buyer and me. This runs from ~$7-$18 depending on the game size. I also use regional mailers when requested as they can be cheaper (shipping cost) if the buyer lives in a closer proximity, but they are harder to ship, because the boxes need to be ordered, and I have to go to the post office to buy the postage for them.

If a game needs a larger box, or smaller box, or multiple games are purchased I put them an appropriate box (usually one left over from an order I placed) and I find the buyer the cheapest shipping possible, unfortunately anything over 12" and 5 pounds tends to get pretty spendy, and if you live in certain parts of CA, MT, or ID it can get ridiculous, upwards of $40 from TN.

Every time I've sold something on eBay, eBay always miscalculates the shipping costs charged, and I end up taking a hit on shipping. I avoid it as much as possible.

My point is that there is no average cost, as there are a lot of variables. That said, 3 times what you expected sounds bad, but it depends on what you expected, and whether that was a reasonable expectation.


Regional Rate postage can be printed on usps.com


And once Paypal offers it too it will be more viable to many.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.