5 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Magic item and Attuning? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Wadsworth

Idaho
msg tools
I'm getting confused with the concept of attuning. Can anyone tell me in simple terms how this is suppose to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have as many items as you get, however, you can only put so many in your deck (except for commons which has no limit). As you level up you are allowed to put more and more into your deck at the beginning of each adventure.

For example at level 3 you are allowed to attune 2 uncommon items. That means you can put two uncommons in your deck at the start of the game (that your character has access to). Also, your character has equipment restrictions (like what armor and weapons they can use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Items you accumulate go into a 'backpack'. You cannot access items in your 'backpack' during play, but you can swap out items between your deck and your 'backpack' during a 'Long Rest' (aka: between Adventures when you'd be updating Features and so on).
'backpack' is in quotes because it is not an official term in the rulebook, it is my word to describe non-active Magic Items.

There is no limit on the number of COMMON Magic Items you can put into your deck -- however, making your deck too large has its own problems, so be mindful of how much you are carrying.

Rarities above COMMON have limits on how many you can carry.

At each level, you have a maximum NUMBER of Magic Items you can put into your deck, as detailed near the back of the Rulebook.
The maximum NUMBER also indicates RARITIES you can carry.
For example:
- Level 3 lets you carry 2 UNCOMMON Magic items.
- Level 4 you can carry 2 UNCOMMON Magic Items and 2 RARE Magic items.

Since you cannot *obtain* Rare Magic Items at level 4 (the first opportunity is at level 5), you can 'downgrade' a slot from RARE to UNCOMMON if you want, allowing you to carry up to 4 UNCOMMON Magic Items.

Each character also has a maximum of each TYPE of Magic Item can be carried, as printed on the back of the character shield. The categories are:
- ARMOR (usually 1, often class restricted)
- SHIELD (usually 0-1, possibly class restricted)
- WEAPON (usually 2-4)
- MISC. (usually 2-5).

You have to honor all limits of RARITY and TYPE when putting Magic Items into your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

For example:
- Level 4 you can carry 2 UNCOMMON Magic Items and 2 RARE Magic items

Weirdly the rulebook says once you get to level 4 you can carry 3 uncommon in the description , but this contradicts the table listed in the book.

Anyone know which one is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

For example:
- Level 4 you can carry 2 UNCOMMON Magic Items and 2 RARE Magic items

Weirdly the rulebook says once you get to level 4 you can carry 3 uncommon in the description , but this contradicts the table listed in the book.

Anyone know which one is correct?

I believe this was noted in the FAQ/Errata thread (I've linked my response where I grabbed the relevant bit from the FAQ): Errata & FAQ v,1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.