Hey all,

I showed this game to my nine year old who's a huge Harry Potter fan, and now she's begging me to get it. I might as well, seems like a good game to play with kids and learn something about her favorite books. Only possible problem is the English language, in the cards mostly. She's been reading English at school for two years, so basically she still doesn't understand English. Is this a problem however? I can always translate the cards as they come up to her, since this is a co-op - right? She'll probably learn the cards quite fast anyway. Unless there are some curveballs waiting later on in the campaign...?

What do you say? Thanks for helping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Language dependece - playing with kids who don't understand English?
GO GET IT!

It´s a great game to play with kids and your daughter will certainly have fun with it. I played it with the daughter of a friend of ours who had been learning English at school for two years. Of course she needed help translating some aspects, but that is not much of a problem as it is a co-op game and as a nice side-effect your daughter will learn some English!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Köppen
Sweden
Nybro
Småland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing with my 9-year old and 6-year old. They can read the icons very well together with the numbers and once you've explained one of the more readier cards they usually remember it.
So... go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely do it.

As with any card-based game, a couple plays and you won't be reading the cards much anyway; the images will be more than sufficient to keep track of what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the encouragement! This game is now on my to buy -list. I told my daughter that it's an expensive game, so she started saving her weekly allowance to make sure we get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.