Stan E
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Arythea
mbmbmbmbmb
Multipurpose cards are used in so many good post-2000 games. I personally love this mechanic. Not sure if it is considered one but it is something I look for in my games now. Any thoughts ?

Stan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
A game mechanism, in my mind, is how a human's actions interact with a game system. In that sense, multipurpose cards is less of a mechanism, and more of a game component.

But alas, there are many mechanics that are listed in BGG that I would not think of as mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty broad concept, so I don't know how useful it would be to have a single "multipurpose cards" mechanic.

For example, it is my understanding that card driven games (CDGs which I think would typically be considered wargames) have cards that can be used for their operations value or for the event on the card; in some cases there are other ways to use the card. The CDGs I am familiar with have boards that are integral to play due to the spatial relationships between components.

In another context you have Glory to Rome where a given card could be a material, a building, a role, or a worker. Glory to Rome is a cardgame -- no central board at all.

In both cases, the cards have multiple uses. Are the games comparable? Is it useful to have Glory to Rome and Paths of Glory in the same category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, at some point Campaign / Battle Card Driven at some point became a game mechanic. (See https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/45565/item/1023494#item10...) So if there can be a category for the wargames, maybe there could be a different one for the eurogames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.