Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hitting the Goodwill jackpot in the past few months!! A good find just makes my day.

It started with finding Oceanos for $3, then I found 1982 Civilization for $2 a week ago, and then the icing on the cake, yesterday I walked in and saw Santorini, Forbidden Desert and Citadels all sitting there for $2 a piece. I couldn't believe it. I'm guessing someone got a Christmas present they weren't too fond of.

Oh, and I got a sweet bicycle for my boy for $18

My wife just rolls her eyes, so needed to share with peeps who understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have awesome neighbors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my niece Santorini. Really fun game, I'd highly recommend it for parents to play with their kids.

She then got curious about all the Greek gods and goddesses, so I got her D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (it's a children's book with lots of gorgeous illustrations of all the Greek mythology Gods such as Hercules, Jason, Prometheus, Persephone) etc... She loves everything about the Greek Myths now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Reminds me that I'm about to start reading the Percy Jackson series to my oldest boy.

ShotgunGames wrote:
I got my niece Santorini. Really fun game, I'd highly recommend it for parents to play with their kids.

She then got curious about all the Greek gods and goddesses, so I got her D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (it's a children's book with lots of gorgeous illustrations of all the Greek mythology Gods such as Hercules, Jason, Prometheus, Persephone) etc... She loves everything about the Greek Myths now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife drags me into Goodwills all over Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin, and I've never found anything except endless copies of Trivial Pursuit and Scene It, plus whatever liquidated old stock Mayfair has dumped into the market... I'd love to find just one "real" game in a Goodwill someday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
almost worth moving to ohio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come join the fun on the weekly thrift lists!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/235151/your-thrift-storeb...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great finds!
Site note: I loved the D'Aulaire book as a kid, I checked it out from the library probably a dozen times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking someone in Akron got an ultimatum from their significant other and/or died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever a thrift sore has a bonanza of great games, I always wonder if something terrible happened to a gamer.

Pete (can't just enjoy anything)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Orosz
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I might have to drive down to Akron soon. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verecundus wrote:

Nooo! Stay away from my Goodwill! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a friend who has some amazing furniture that he got for pennies on the dollar. Apparently he frequents a thrift store that is in a very well-off mostly retired community, and yes, rich older people die and their kids just donate all their furniture rather than taking it back home with them.
Kinda sad but the money goes to a good cause and I'm sure it's a lot easier and cheaper for the family member who cleans out the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Whenever a thrift sore has a bonanza of great games, I always wonder if something terrible happened to a gamer.

I always wonder whether those who cry foul at the ethics of selling a game above MSRP based on demand would also cry foul at paying less for games that are well below market prices. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we were kids, my mother would routinely confiscate our old toys "that we weren't using anymore" and donate them.

All of my brother's original Kenner Star Wars toys, donated.

My Heroquest, Fireball Island, Domino Rally, Weapons and Warriors, and likely a few others I don't remember, donated.

Every time I hear about great thrift store finds, I always envision somebody's mother "cleaning out closets" in some wild fit of cathartic therapy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
Verecundus wrote:

Count your blessings. A gamer started working at my Goodwill.

Pete (never finds anything good there any more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
rutherford82 wrote:
When we were kids, my mother would routinely confiscate our old toys "that we weren't using anymore" and donate them.

All of my brother's original Kenner Star Wars toys, donated.

My Heroquest, Fireball Island, Domino Rally, Weapons and Warriors, and likely a few others I don't remember, donated.

Every time I hear about great thrift store finds, I always envision somebody's mother "cleaning out closets" in some wild fit of cathartic therapy.

As a parent in a house a little too small for all the stuff we have, this is something I struggle with. (Just talked the boy into getting rid of his Imaginext stuff he doesn't play with anymore.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get rid of so much of my kids' plastic junk. I keep the local Goodwill in business with my frequent donations. Too much junk in my house!
If it's of any decent quality, I hang on to it, i.e. Legos never get pitched, but the majority is forgotten junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got married and moved, and my son is 15 so he's moving from one set of stuff to another. We've both purged a lot of stuff, and I do have some twinges, but yeah, does he really need to keep a toy pirate ship he played with for two months that's missing half the pieces? Once it's gone, it's not missed, and very little of this stuff is irreplaceable or collectible.
(And yes, I have purged a ton of stuff as well. Hundreds of books, bags of clothes, and I'm very close to donating about 10-15 games. I'm trying to sell them but they're not big sellers.)

Now, the toy train he towed around as a little kid, the stuffed puppy he got the day after he was born (it's actually in a shadowbox next to a teddy bear I had as a kid), and the Dr Seuss Birthday Book he got on his 4th birthday signed by the Cat in the Hat - those are kept.

I know, hindsight is 20/20 and some things turn out to be more valuable in retrospect (I wish I could find my Lollapalooza '91 t-shirt, and I cringe when my folks tell me "Yep, your grandparents threw away my suitcase of comic books. I probably had some Superman and Batman in there."). But most of it is just stuff.
(Pay no attention to the full wall shelf of games behind the curtain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

But what if they have a bonanza of Bohnanza?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
Verecundus wrote:

Hey, you know what they say about fishermen never revealing their best spots ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

But what if they have a bonanza of Bohnanza?

Clearly something bad happened to a game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Combs
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NICE! I just recently found a copy of carcassone: the castle brand new in shrink for a couple bucks at a local thrift store. The thrill of the hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I hardly ever find anything of note game-wise at the thrift stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also snagged Dixit: Journey for $3. Didn't really need it, but couldn't resist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.