Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: WIP - The Barnstorming Circus - 2018 9-Card nanogame PnP Contest (Withdrawn) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come one come all! Pilots of all skill levels are welcome to the:

An entry in the 2018 9-Card Nanogame Print and Play Design Contest

In this game you will fly some of history's greatest stunt aeroplanes using the daring pilots of the halcyon days of barnstorming. Gauge the course conditions, choose your pilot and plane and complete aerial dice manoeuvres to audience acclaim and victory point awards.

Components:
6 double sided Aeroplane cards
3 double sided Pilot cards
4 yellow eurocubes
8 blue eurocubes
1 black eurocube

5 six-sided dice

1 double sided rule sheet

Playing Time: 20-30 minutes

Number of Players: 1

Categories:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork

Game Files: http://pl123.pairlitesite.com/cards/barnstorm/ version 1.5.18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - The Barnstorming Circus - 2018 9-Card nanogame PnP Contest (Idea Phase)
So this is a yahtzee style game with a few twists.

I wanted to create a game for kids (8+ - basically you need basic math skills for the final score total) as well as adults (as solo players - because, you now, that is what i have fun designing)

Setup:
Shuffle the 6 Aeroplane cards (flipping half the cards after shuffle). Deal out four of these cards in a row to form the airfield.

Shuffle the 3 Pilots cards (flipping some without looking) and deal the 3 pilots out in a row below the airfield.

Place 5d6 dice in front of you

Place the d20 (Engine Trouble die) to one side of the airfield and set the value on 20 (beginner), 15 (normal) or 10 (advanced)

Place all eurocubes markers (4 yellow, 8 blue) within reach.

Aim of the game:
Highest VP score before the Engine Trouble die reaches 0

To Play:
The rounds are divided into 3 phases:

Phase 1 - Course Conditions

Roll all five dice once and then choose which aeroplane and pilot (from those on deck - i.e. not previously chosen in a round) you will use this round.

Phase 2 - Barnstorming

You may reroll any dice two times more to try and meet the manoeuvre action for that plane (i.e. roll four of a kind). You may not switch planes midflight (unless you have a bonus action to do that).

If you succeed you place a yellow marker on the VP track for that aeroplane, or move an existing marker forward on the track. If the marker lands on a Medal space, mark this earned medal with a blue marker and move the yellow marker one more space forward on the track.

If you fail to meet the manoeuvre action you record Engine Trouble by rotating the d20 down 1 number. If the d20 reaches 0 the game is over.

You may use any earned medals during Phase 1 or 2. (See the list of medals below for what the symbols mean). If you use an earned medal, remove the blue cube from the medal and place it back in the general supply.

Phase 3 - On Deck
Slide your current round’s pilot down slightly to signify that he or she is “off deck”. This pilot may not be chosen during future rounds. Once all pilots are in the “Off Deck” position you may slide all 3 pilots back in line to signify “On Deck” and all may now be chosen during the next round.

End Game:
Once the Engine Trouble die reaches 0 the game is over.
Add up all your VP and gain +1 bonus VP for each Earned Medal not used.

Some game designer type stuff:

I am using a subset of all the aeroplane cards per game to allow for some nice variability from game to game.

Many of the planes start out with negative point values and this is a push your luck mechanism to add some decisions to the game. As you gain points in the game you may also acrue medals (which different from plane to plane).

Sometimes the point value remain flat, or go down and then spike up. This is to simulate plane trouble during the trick flights.

Another point of decision making for the layer is to roll the dice once during Phase 1 allowing them then to choose the pilot and plane based on what this roll gives you. Yahtzee rollers are inherently luck based but this can be mitigated with choices the player actively makes during the game.

The d20 tracking the end of the game is a variable counter based on the number of round failures a player has. Games can therefore last more than 20 rounds. This may change during playtests but provides some decision making again about which planes to choose as that end game clock ticks down.

I still have to see if the point spreads work well in terms of the plus and minus values and determine what a high score might be.

I know some players do not like the beat your high score aspect to solo games but this game is more on the light scale so i hope they will excuse the choice

I am excited about kids trying this game out. We need more kids games of course and ones that provide stepping stones to more complicated games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - The Barnstorming Circus - 2018 9-Card nanogame PnP Contest (Idea Phase)
Subscribed. Looking forward to what you come up with Todd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Always interested in your games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here is the artwork thus far. I will need to work out the VP point values more as well as the medal rewards but you can see the general ideas.

The planes and pilots are all real world and may encourage some players to look them up and learn more. I know there were a few prominent black pilots in this time period but this is all I have matching artwork for. There is an equal number of male and female pilots to choose from though.

For those that do know these planes and pilots - I know I am majorly mixing up time time frames and pilot eras here but this is more of a dream sequence game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How funny ... I am thinking of doing a similar theme game, but for the wargame contest ... Regardless: Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So goals for the next couple of days

Do the point spreads work for the planes
Are the medals well distributed
Are the Pilot actions all decent ones

Create a card file for playtesters
Create a rules file with graphics for playtesters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
How funny ... I am thinking of doing a similar theme game, but for the wargame contest ... Regardless: Subscribed!

Ah i will have to follow along over there to see your spin on the theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest Todd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Nice theme!
- Typo on Amy Mollison ("one" should be "once").
- Slightly unclear how some ability rerolls affect your normal rerolls (is Mollison's 3 instead of the normal 2? In addition?).
- Is it 2 "rerolls of any number of dice you don't like" or "reroll 2 dice"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but I think according to the contest rules only D6 are allowed, so you'll have to substitute that D20 for something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Thanks for the typo spotting

- her power - after rolling your dice the 3 times(once during Course Conditions and twice during Barnstorming) you may pick 1 to 3 dice from those in front of you and reroll them

- reroll 1 die twice or 2 dice each once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandeminatic wrote:
Looks interesting. I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but I think according to the contest rules only D6 are allowed, so you'll have to substitute that D20 for something else.

ah so you are right. i wasn't think of it as a 'die' but as a 'component'.

Joseph can weigh in but I might be able to come up with a solution otherwise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No wingwalkers!?!

cry

No Bessie Coleman? I know she's in The Lost Expedition, but who cares?

No Pancho Barnes?

No Charles Lindbergh?!

Love early aviation history and The Ninety-Nines!

Here's Betty May Furman...

!!! I can't wait to play !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nope don't have images of those (other than Lindbergh). I chose pilots for their expressions mainly. and the one with the moustache.

You can pretend they are there in spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pretend there will be an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe once the contest is over yes. i have loads of goofy early airship images as well.

i can already see what i will do to expand this beyond 9 cards. but for now working within the limits of the rules.

tomorrow i swap out the d20 for a different solution that will work fine for these guidelines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine cards is fine. I'm looking for the next Muses!

I'll stop typing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rules are done and cards are in a 3x3 grid. changed some point values and actions for the pilots.

and changed the d20 to a track on the pilot cards.

will let this sit for a bit and then i will re-read and make edits and release for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok have at it

2 pages of rules
2 pages of cards

loads of fun

http://pl123.pairlitesite.com/cards/barnstorm/

specific playtest questions to answer

what are your scores?
are the points given equal to the difficulty of the Manoeuvre?
are you maxing out on an VP tracks?
are any pilots stronger than others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina

Temecula
California
msg tools
mb
Re: WIP - The Barnstorming Circus - 2018 9-Card nanogame PnP Contest (Components Ready Phase)
I'm in for giving it a run!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - The Barnstorming Circus - 2018 9-Card nanogame PnP Contest (Components Ready Phase)
dumarest123 wrote:
ok have at it

I look forward to trying this. (Un)fortunately, I just got your IUNU game in the mail today too. So, I have a tough choice to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nighteyes77 wrote:
Todd, what happens if the marker gets to the end of the VP track for a specific plane. Is that plane no longer in use or can it still be flown to avoid potential engine failure?

then that plane is done being flown and cant be chosen. this is one of the things i want to gauge, how many plane reach their end track in a game.

the balance will be adjusting the Engine Trouble track so you get a decent game in but don't max out every card. but still feel a sort of push your luck time is ticking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:
ok have at it

I look forward to trying this. (Un)fortunately, I just got your IUNU game in the mail today too. So, I have a tough choice to make.

well you have waited for IUNU for a long time

I hope I get mine soon. really want the finished product in my hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfect report thank you

i am going to play it myself tomorrow. interesting on running out of planes before the Engine Failures. i thought you would have rolled more losses. maybe i will reduce the Engine track down to 12/9/6 and see how that goes

glad to hear it held your interest though

great photo by the way. i see your planes may have been some of the easier ones to roll for. dont know if this has any bearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.