Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Inis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Citadel Step rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Di Nella
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, played yesterday for the first time. Amazing game, congratulations to the designer.

Quick question about the citadel step.

Scenario: An opponent is present in a territory with 3 citadels and 3 of his clans. I move in using migration and start a clash there. During the citadel step is he allowed to protect his 3 clans? Thus ending the clash since I'm the only one with exposed clans there?

Cheers!
Federico
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I understand it yes. Unless there is a third player present in the territory who would have his own turn putting clans in citadels. Otherwise, since the instigator is not allowed into the citadels, the defender has the leisure of putting as many clans in however many citadels are available.

Last game I played, this happened twice. Player moves in, defender goes into citadels, no clash ensues.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeap, just to be clear you place 1 clan per 'turn' in the citadels step until everyone who is eligible has added as many as they want. In a two player game it's an irrelevant distinction but in a 3+ player game the non-instigators each take turns putting in one clan at a time.

Additionally, as the only person with clans in the clash area you decide when to end the clash (it is not immediately over). If your opponent turtles like this, you're still eligible to play Epic Tales and use a Withdraw action for example.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
Small clarification here. I believe the clash is still active until all players agree, or unless there are no exposed clans on any side.
So, even when your enemy has retreated into the citadel, you can continue to play any cards that might apply at this time. You may also choose to retreat some or all of your clans into an adjacent area where you are the Chieftain.

Edit: looks like someone types faster than I do. :/
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Holt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
This is especially relevant for cards like the epic tale "Battle Frenzy".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Di Nella
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

Brandizzle wrote:
Small clarification here. I believe the clash is still active until all players agree, or unless there are no exposed clans on any side.
So, even when your enemy has retreated into the citadel, you can continue to play any cards that might apply at this time. You may also choose to retreat some or all of your clans into an adjacent area where you are the Chieftain.

Edit: looks like someone types faster than I do. :/


Following on this a bit more.
Another Scenario: Someone moves into a territory with 6 clans of his own. He can start the clash using the withdraw maneuver and sending those 6 into different territories where he's chieftain, correct? They would be using a clash as only a way to re-distribute his clans.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson King wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Brandizzle wrote:
Small clarification here. I believe the clash is still active until all players agree, or unless there are no exposed clans on any side.
So, even when your enemy has retreated into the citadel, you can continue to play any cards that might apply at this time. You may also choose to retreat some or all of your clans into an adjacent area where you are the Chieftain.

Edit: looks like someone types faster than I do. :/


Following on this a bit more.
Another Scenario: Someone moves into a territory with 6 clans of his own. He can start the clash using the withdraw maneuver and sending those 6 into different territories where he's chieftain, correct? They would be using a clash as only a way to re-distribute his clans.


Yes and if there were still exposed clans it the clashing territory they can continue the clash even after the instigator has left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson King wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Brandizzle wrote:
Small clarification here. I believe the clash is still active until all players agree, or unless there are no exposed clans on any side.
So, even when your enemy has retreated into the citadel, you can continue to play any cards that might apply at this time. You may also choose to retreat some or all of your clans into an adjacent area where you are the Chieftain.

Edit: looks like someone types faster than I do. :/


Following on this a bit more.
Another Scenario: Someone moves into a territory with 6 clans of his own. He can start the clash using the withdraw maneuver and sending those 6 into different territories where he's chieftain, correct? They would be using a clash as only a way to re-distribute his clans.


Sure, so long as there are enemies present to start a clash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
Crimson King wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

Following on this a bit more.
Another Scenario: Someone moves into a territory with 6 clans of his own. He can start the clash using the withdraw maneuver and sending those 6 into different territories where he's chieftain, correct? They would be using a clash as only a way to re-distribute his clans.


Sure, so long as there are enemies present to start a clash.


Im not entirely sure what you mean. But if you are implying that the withdraw maneuvers start clashes in the adjacent territories, they do not.

Edit - I probably misunderstand your comment, but maybe someone else misunderstood this rule and will benefit from my obvious comment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he wanted to precise that for the clash to start in the first place there need to be at least one opposing clan.
And yes, it is legal to use your first manoeuver to withdraw some or all your engaged clans.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem
France
Florida
flag msg tools
So I had a game yesterday where a player wanted to fight in order to maneuver into another territory. We were only 2 on the territory where he started the clash.
I had 3 clans and there were 3 citadels.
I retreated all my clans in the citadels.
So we thought he could not do a maneuver.
Since there was no engaged clans we thought the clash ended immediatly without the possibility for the instigator ('envahisseur') to move or play an Epic Card, which he would have loved .

So I understand we played this wrong? You can start a clash and maneuver elsewhere (if you can) even when everyone retreat in the citadel(s)?

I thought the clash ended immediatly if there was only one player involved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Leeem wrote:
So I understand we played this wrong? You can start a clash and maneuver elsewhere (if you can) even when everyone retreat in the citadel(s)?

I thought the clash ended immediatly if there was only one player involved.

Yes, the clash ends when all players with exposed clans agree that its over. Even if that is only one person they can choose to extend the clash to perform maneuvers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
I think there was a reply by the designer on one post where he explains further that you can even start a clash in an area without an enemy because, thematically, there could be infighting within your clan(s).

Someone else might be able to confirm this, but I found it to be an interesting option that might come in handy at some point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brandizzle wrote:
I think there was a reply by the designer on one post where he explains further that you can even start a clash in an area without an enemy because, thematically, there could be infighting within your clan(s).

Someone else might be able to confirm this, but I found it to be an interesting option that might come in handy at some point.

I dont think that would work with a movement card.
The first sentence in the rulebook under clashes:
"A clash occurs when one or more clans are moved to a territory where any opposing clans are already present."

But you could do it with warlord. That could start a clash with no enemies present.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem
France
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok that is more clear now thank you. I found the other thread talking about it, it makes sense actually. Even more strategies ! What an amazing game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.