World in Flames» Forums » Rules

Subject: Construction engineers in RAW8? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless i'm mistaken, the construction engineer option has disappeared in RAW8. I don't really mind -- I've never used it (though I'm still pretty newbish). I just want to make sure they haven't been transformed into mandatory rules! Can anyone confirm that construction engineers are completely gone now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're gone, and good riddance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought so. I agree! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good riddance is the usual view!

Just by way of background, the original idea behind the construction engineers was to give engineers a powerful combat ability, which they had; but to balance it with the need to repair stuff. So engineer at 5 BP's are a must buy, but the idea was to make their use as construction engineers as a tough choice relative to using them as combat engineers.

Of course gamers wanted to use them in combat but didn't want to tie them down as construction engineers. Kind of like how football and other sports keep making more rules to favor offense. Also, keeping track of which factories and ports had to be repaired was a pain in the neck.

So the rules have bowed to vox populi.

I have to admit I liked the idea behind construction engineers, but I did think the added need to keep track of the captured ports and factories was annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the idea exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
banania wrote:
What was the idea exactly?

For construction engineers? IIRC, you couldn't use a captured red factory until an engineer had spent a production phase sitting on it. And a captured major port would only be a minor port till a construction engineer had done the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun, but kind of impractical.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.