Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pace
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First solo game of Scythe with The Wind Gambit. I played Albion against Polania and Rusviet automi. The airships had the Craft (can build and deploy mechs like workers) and Siege Engine (enemy mechs/characters must pay $1 to move away from airship) abilities. I also used the Doomsday Clock resolution tile which limited the game to 20 rounds.

🚢💥
With the abilities I drew, the airships didn’t affect the usual gameplay as much as I thought they would. It’s possible I wasn’t using my ship’s full potential, as I found myself making increasingly bad decisions as the game played out 😅 I was able to pick up a few coins off of the automi but I needed to keep my ship near as many opponent mechs as possible, so I didn’t venture out and build away from my main cluster of workers. In retrospect I think this was a big mistake against the automa.

🕰💣
The Doomsday Clock resolution ends the game after 20 turns. My game ended at 19 when an automa picked up its sixth star (my fault). I did feel pressured on a couple of my turns to go for riskier, more aggressive decisions instead of plans that would need more turns to carry out.

Final First Impressions
thumbsup Both airships and resolutions are a nice addition to the existing solo game, although I wouldn’t call it essential for those who haven’t played vanilla Scythe very much.
thumbsup Airships minis are huge and loom over the other pieces. Very thematic.
thumbsupthumbsdown I wish the airship miniature models reflected the unique ships in the artwork. I love dirigibles!

I'd recommend this expansion to solo players who want to add subtle variety to the game without impacting core attributes of what makes Scythe such a stellar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

Have you played with other game end trigger conditions than Doomsday Clock? I'm interested to know how the new game ending trigger affects your game play when playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pace
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zathraz wrote:
Thanks for the review.

Have you played with other game end trigger conditions than Doomsday Clock? I'm interested to know how the new game ending trigger affects your game play when playing solo.
I’ve played with a few so far.

Land Rush forced me to play way more aggressively than I normally do.

Factory Explosion required me to be very cognizant of automa star counts and where my pieces were positioned in relation to the Factory in the endgame.

Basically, main objectives never change in Scythe (besides whichever object card you try to complete) so the resolution tiles put a new spin on how you’ll need to strategize to complete the same objectives from game to game. For someone who plays a lot of solo Scythe, I really enjoy the new challenges presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marzuki wrote:
Zathraz wrote:
Thanks for the review.

Basically, main objectives never change in Scythe (besides whichever object card you try to complete) so the resolution tiles put a new spin on how you’ll need to strategize to complete the same objectives from game to game. For someone who plays a lot of solo Scythe, I really enjoy the new challenges presented.

Played my first solo Scythe this evening. I can see that when you get used to playing it solo, you could use the variety of challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juang chiang
Canada
flag msg tools
the airship movement for automa is confusing for me. im not sure how.. does the rule says after the automa character moved then airship follow through? does this also means the airship will always be on top of the character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pace
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilbert chiang wrote:
the airship movement for automa is confusing for me. im not sure how.. does the rule says after the automa character moved then airship follow through? does this also means the airship will always be on top of the character?

No, the airship will not always be in the same hex as the character. Following a character move, the airship will follow the movement rules listed on the Automa card that matches the Aggressive (red) airship attribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.