Popular Tags: [View All]
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is it a struggle to find the new STAW Starter Set and Faction Packs?

I've been seeing a small number of people getting their pre-orders but overall it seems like you can't buy any of the new sets at most retail places (the few sets that Retailers got sold out quickly). Retailers that decided to stock the new STAW sets aren't getting their full orders filled from the distributor.

Is their a huge demand for the new STAW sets or is it due to limited stock from WK? Or distributor problems?

It would be a shame if renewed interest in STAW is hurt by the inability to get the sets into the hands of buyers.

What do you see in your area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 5 FLGS around me, 2 of them actually carry attack wing, but didn't get anything new in (granted, what they have is old too. Nothing past wave 10 or so).

I asked around, and they said they could try to order things, but they had no guarantees that it would come in. One store even put in an order for 2 new core sets, but didn't get anything.

Personally, it's really frustrating to look at all the cool, shiny, new things, but have absolutely 0 access to them. That, more than anything, is turning me off to the game, which stinks, because I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
Of the 5 FLGS around me, 2 of them actually carry attack wing, but didn't get anything new in (granted, what they have is old too. Nothing past wave 10 or so).

I asked around, and they said they could try to order things, but they had no guarantees that it would come in. One store even put in an order for 2 new core sets, but didn't get anything.

Personally, it's really frustrating to look at all the cool, shiny, new things, but have absolutely 0 access to them. That, more than anything, is turning me off to the game, which stinks, because I love it!

Your story seems to be the common theme that I have been reading about. In my area only three FLGS carry STAW and none of them have any of the new sets in stock at the moment. I understand one store had the Starter Set in stock for a brief moment and the same for the Faction Packs. They had very limited quantities for sale and they sold out quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here--one local store is out,and another local store close to me quit carrying STAW altogether as could not get replacement stock.

As far as online stores,seeing same issue with Miniature Market,GameKastle,Coolstuffinc and Cardhaus--either very little or no stock on STAW products. I did get lucky and got some of the Romulan ships I need for a solo campaign (using Full Thrust rules;STAW ships are great for those rules too.)

Seems to me Wizkids dropping the ball on support for STAW. Anybody heard any response from the company on players feedback to them about this????

The other day someone else here on BGG posted same complaint:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1908281/dear-wizkids

Hope they get the message;if not will have to watch online stores and buy what I want,when I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrmm, I'm a store owner, and I really wanted to bring the game in for my store. I have 4 copies of the new base set reserved for me (hopefully!) because as far as I know this part of WizKids is exclusive to Alliance for the US at least, and Alliance is reporting the base set as already sold out. I'd love to help hook people up, but I don't know what I can actually get in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpitner wrote:
Hrmm, I'm a store owner, and I really wanted to bring the game in for my store. I have 4 copies of the new base set reserved for me (hopefully!) because as far as I know this part of WizKids is exclusive to Alliance for the US at least, and Alliance is reporting the base set as already sold out. I'd love to help hook people up, but I don't know what I can actually get in!

OK, so if this is the case, is it fair to assume that the problem lies with WK and not the distributor? Sounds like WK underestimated demand, perhaps severely. There had been some conjecture that WK had produced adequate stock of the new products, but distributors (well, sounds like one distributor) were reluctant to order any due to uncertainty over demand for the product. However, it certainly seems from this information that WK dropped the ball. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've had no luck securing either faction pack so far but I would have to imagine eventually there will be a copy or two available for my FLGS to order from; MM isn't really an option at all for me as the shipping is obscene for these -- Granted MM sells out in minutes of it appearing in stock anyway. zombierobotarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
stpitner wrote:

OK, so if this is the case, is it fair to assume that the problem lies with WK and not the distributor? Sounds like WK underestimated demand, perhaps severely. There had been some conjecture that WK had produced adequate stock of the new products, but distributors (well, sounds like one distributor) were reluctant to order any due to uncertainty over demand for the product. However, it certainly seems from this information that WK dropped the ball. Am I interpreting this correctly?

In theory, one of the points of entering an exclusive distribution agreement is to get a better handle on numbers like this. (I've yet to be impressed by how it works out in practice.) So I'm not willing to let Alliance completely off the hook. But yes, it looks like WK underestimated demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have been told on the facebook group, store owners apparently have to "pre-order" the waves as they are made available as this is the only way to ensure that you will get stock. It appears that they will only assign stock based on the pre-orders.

If you just put an order in when the stock is made available then you will get whatever is left. We have had to ask our own FLGS owner to start doing this for us in the hopes that we get any stock at all, despite continual orders for 3 of everything (just not pre-orders).

We have yet to see if this is actually going to work, as the first thing that's up for the pre-order are the faction packs (UK is about a month behind) and the starter set.

Our FLGS has not seen new attack wing stock since the Enterprise B, and we only had one of them show up. The STAW group had to order online from various stores and in my case ended up doing deals with other players who did have stock in their area to get some of the ships from the last few waves. Were actually growing as a group, but the limitations of stock in our local area is hurting things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
From what I have been told on the facebook group, store owners apparently have to "pre-order" the waves as they are made available as this is the only way to ensure that you will get stock. It appears that they will only assign stock based on the pre-orders.

If you just put an order in when the stock is made available then you will get whatever is left. We have had to ask our own FLGS owner to start doing this for us in the hopes that we get any stock at all, despite continual orders for 3 of everything (just not pre-orders).

We have yet to see if this is actually going to work, as the first thing that's up for the pre-order are the faction packs (UK is about a month behind) and the starter set.

Our FLGS has not seen new attack wing stock since the Enterprise B, and we only had one of them show up. The STAW group had to order online from various stores and in my case ended up doing deals with other players who did have stock in their area to get some of the ships from the last few waves. Were actually growing as a group, but the limitations of stock in our local area is hurting things.

Your explanation would certainly explain why it is so difficult to find the new sets.

Basically WK is working on a "crowdfunding model" to a certain extent. If you want the product than you have to order it up front. If this is how they want to operate I wish that WK would have said something instead of "disappointing" all the eager buyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.