Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting if I already have other FFG stuff? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
I already own Eldritch, Arkham The Card Game, and Imperial Assault--the latter I’ve only recently started playing with the app. Would this bring anything new to my collection or is this mostly redundant with the above games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 of those games along with Mansions of Madness. I love having it in my collection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 of those games along with Mansions of Madness. I love having it in my collection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
Any thoughts one why you feel that way? Why might you feel like playing the MM more than the games mentioned above? Is it better with certain play counts groups? Does it offer a significantly different dungeon crawling or story experience than the others? Etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally tend to play Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror LCG solo more often than with others. Mansions, on the other hand, has been a bigger hit with my friends and family. It is easier for me to get to the table than Eldritch, AH LCG or IA.

Imperial Assault saw less play before the new app, so I do think I will get my friends/family into that more going forward, but Mansions still has more content (compared to IA's app currently) and I find that they are different enough to not step on each others toes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham and Imperial Assault are campaign based games. You have to have a dedicated group to play them, they don't really shine on a single playthrough. Eldritch Horror is boring. Get Mansions of Madness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 of those games along with Mansions of Madness. I love having it in my collection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all different and worth getting!


As a random side, why do people frequently compare Mansions to IA? Is it because they both run on an app? They are entirely different games!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
shnar wrote:
I own all 3 of those games along with Mansions of Madness. I love having it in my collection.


I get the feeling that similar questions have been asked before on this board?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
Wyndam22 wrote:
I personally tend to play Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror LCG solo more often than with others. Mansions, on the other hand, has been a bigger hit with my friends and family. It is easier for me to get to the table than Eldritch, AH LCG or IA.

Imperial Assault saw less play before the new app, so I do think I will get my friends/family into that more going forward, but Mansions still has more content (compared to IA's app currently) and I find that they are different enough to not step on each others toes.


Ease of play is a good point, thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
silverrobert wrote:
Arkham and Imperial Assault are campaign based games. You have to have a dedicated group to play them, they don't really shine on a single playthrough. Eldritch Horror is boring. Get Mansions of Madness.


Good point about the single session.

Not sure I entirely agree on Eldritch, though. What I will say is that the game outstays its welcome. The beginning is fun, and by the end things usually reach a crisis point that requires a fair amount of strategic planning. The middle stretch of the game, however, often feels like you are going through the motions while waiting for something to happen--or in some cases to lose. Does MM not have these problems?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
mil05006 wrote:
They are all different and worth getting!


As a random side, why do people frequently compare Mansions to IA? Is it because they both run on an app? They are entirely different games!


I've read/watched more than one review that referred to MM as a "Lovecraft Dungeon Crawler," to both the games credit and detriment. That and the app is what I suspect inspires the comparisons. Would you say this isn't an accurate assessment?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I do find that having Arkham Horror LCG and Mansions in my collection does feel a bit redundant. Mechanically they're way different, but the setting is very similar. Same scale of adventure. Same type of things happening. Personally I far prefer Mansions, and so Arkham is gathering dust.

Mechanically there's probably quite a bit of overlap with Imperial Assault, so I'd be wary. Do you want another app-driven miniatures game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
celdom wrote:
I do find that having Arkham Horror LCG and Mansions in my collection does feel a bit redundant. Mechanically they're way different, but the setting is very similar. Same scale of adventure. Same type of things happening. Personally I far prefer Mansions, and so Arkham is gathering dust.

Mechanically there's probably quite a bit of overlap with Imperial Assault, so I'd be wary. Do you want another app-driven miniatures game?


Eh, my girlfriend--the person I play with most--likes the setting more than the pseudo-scifi of Star Wars, so that's a factor. The overlap in mechanics is part of what I was worried about, however, and there are a lot of interesting non-FFG dungeon crawlers out there right now. I could sell IA but I also spent quite a lot of time painting the miniatures.

Ironically, I'm also considering the Armada core set which I've really wanted to try for some time--she'd play it with me, but would probably be more eager to play MM.


On a side note, we very much like the Arkham LCG.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I find the fact that IA is already being cast as an app game quite ridiculous. It's been out for around a month, compared to the games 3 years of history in which it was way more than that.

That aside, I love Arkham Horror LCG (currently my favourite game). I've played Mansions a bit, but not much, but I found it quite dull. It seemed very random, as though you were just moving from room to room in a random non-strategic way. As another point, the miniatures are awful. Or at least, the stands for them. The copy I played with, half of them didn't fit in their stands and we ended up playing with just the bases. Why FFG needed to have such a weird system when so many of their other games that include miniatures are great, I do not know.

If your main play group is your girlfriend, then campaign play such as in AH:LCG clearly isn't a problem, and so don't worry about it and just play that. It's so much deeper and better than MoM. And so is IA, but for reasons other than just the app play (1v1 skirmish and 1vAll campaign are both great).

Oh, and as a side note, I heavily, heavily recommend asking this question in other forums that aren't just MoM, because, as you can see, you get a very biased response in the MoM forums in favour of MoM (just like you will in others, but if you ask it in all, you'll get a balanced opinion overall).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FunInTheSun wrote:
mil05006 wrote:
They are all different and worth getting!


As a random side, why do people frequently compare Mansions to IA? Is it because they both run on an app? They are entirely different games!


I've read/watched more than one review that referred to MM as a "Lovecraft Dungeon Crawler," to both the games credit and detriment. That and the app is what I suspect inspires the comparisons. Would you say this isn't an accurate assessment?


Mansions might be considered a dungeon crawl. But imperial assault isn’t really. IA is more a tactical combat game where positioning is veey important.

Mansions is certainly worth it, different experience than the other games on the list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Firstly, I find the fact that IA is already being cast as an app game quite ridiculous. It's been out for around a month, compared to the games 3 years of history in which it was way more than that.

That aside, I love Arkham Horror LCG (currently my favourite game). I've played Mansions a bit, but not much, but I found it quite dull. It seemed very random, as though you were just moving from room to room in a random non-strategic way. As another point, the miniatures are awful. Or at least, the stands for them. The copy I played with, half of them didn't fit in their stands and we ended up playing with just the bases. Why FFG needed to have such a weird system when so many of their other games that include miniatures are great, I do not know.

If your main play group is your girlfriend, then campaign play such as in AH:LCG clearly isn't a problem, and so don't worry about it and just play that. It's so much deeper and better than MoM. And so is IA, but for reasons other than just the app play (1v1 skirmish and 1vAll campaign are both great).

Oh, and as a side note, I heavily, heavily recommend asking this question in other forums that aren't just MoM, because, as you can see, you get a very biased response in the MoM forums in favour of MoM (just like you will in others, but if you ask it in all, you'll get a balanced opinion overall).


Thanks for the lengthy response! Owning Arkham is probably the biggest hit against MoM. I'd consider posting elsewhere, but honestly people here haven't done much to sell the game beyond saying they like it, so I don't really feel I'm being swayed in a particular direction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
Kwakkie wrote:
FunInTheSun wrote:
mil05006 wrote:
They are all different and worth getting!


As a random side, why do people frequently compare Mansions to IA? Is it because they both run on an app? They are entirely different games!


I've read/watched more than one review that referred to MM as a "Lovecraft Dungeon Crawler," to both the games credit and detriment. That and the app is what I suspect inspires the comparisons. Would you say this isn't an accurate assessment?


Mansions might be considered a dungeon crawl. But imperial assault isn’t really. IA is more a tactical combat game where positioning is veey important.

Mansions is certainly worth it, different experience than the other games on the list.


Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure what the distinction being made is then. Why wouldn't tactical positioning be important to a dungeon crawl? The important elements of the genre seem--at least to me--to be killing enemies (which tactical combat makes interesting), picking up loot, leveling, and light exploration. How does IA not qualify? If anything, MoM seems to be lacking in the leveling element.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FunInTheSun wrote:
Thanks for the lengthy response! Owning Arkham is probably the biggest hit against MoM. I'd consider posting elsewhere, but honestly people here haven't done much to sell the game beyond saying they like it, so I don't really feel I'm being swayed in a particular direction.


I agree with your assessment that arkham the lcg is a lot closer to mansions than the other games mentioned. Still, I play arkham solo and play mansions with others, so for me it is still worth it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FunInTheSun wrote:
Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure what the distinction being made is then. Why wouldn't tactical positioning be important to a dungeon crawl? The important elements of the genre seem--at least to me--to be killing enemies (which tactical combat makes interesting), picking up loot, leveling, and light exploration. How does IA not qualify? If anything, MoM seems to be lacking in the leveling element.


I guess I'm playing it more like a miniature skirmish game. For a dungeon crawl I think there needs to be some exploring at least. As IA has the map revealed from the start, there isn't much to explore. It's a lot more about combat and objectives that it is about loot and exploration. Mansions has a lot more exploration going on, in regards to the map, the story and the loot. In fact, I prefer the combat light scenarios of mansions as those scratch a different itch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
Kwakkie wrote:
FunInTheSun wrote:
Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure what the distinction being made is then. Why wouldn't tactical positioning be important to a dungeon crawl? The important elements of the genre seem--at least to me--to be killing enemies (which tactical combat makes interesting), picking up loot, leveling, and light exploration. How does IA not qualify? If anything, MoM seems to be lacking in the leveling element.


I guess I'm playing it more like a miniature skirmish game. For a dungeon crawl I think there needs to be some exploring at least. As IA has the map revealed from the start, there isn't much to explore. It's a lot more about combat and objectives that it is about loot and exploration. Mansions has a lot more exploration going on, in regards to the map, the story and the loot. In fact, I prefer the combat light scenarios of mansions as those scratch a different itch.


Ah, yes. I've mostly played it with the app where the map is revealed as you go. This may be why I don't see as much of a difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd argue that MoM would indeed add something new to your collection, at least when compared to the games you mentioned. I own Arkham Horror LCG and Descent(comparable to Imperial Assault I think), and would never compare those to MoM.

It shares the same universe as AH-lcg yes, but that's where the similarities end.
Both Imperial Assault and MoM has figures, tiles, fighting, an app. Yes. But I'd argue that they are in different genres. If Imperial Assault is anything like Descent, then it's almost non stop fighting and somewhat strategic. Mom is story driven and has much less fighting, the fighting is also much less complicated.

MoM is more of an experience than a strategical game, in fact I'd argue that it's not much strategy at all.
It's more like a gateway game I'd say. I have successfully played it with three people that have been completely new to board games and they have understood it straight away and had a good time.

The set up time is impressively short and simple for being such a relatively large game, and there are few things to learn/explain before playing. The app handles most things and does a good job at it.

I love this game because of the atmosphere and story. If you come looking for a tricky brain melter or strategic fighting game, you've come to the wrong place. This is a game to which you lean back and have a good time. (although some scenarios are really hard, as per usual in the AH universe)

Some might disagree with my statements, which is fine, but this is my experience after 10+ plays.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
Narstrand wrote:
I'd argue that MoM would indeed add something new to your collection, at least when compared to the games you mentioned. I own Arkham Horror LCG and Descent(comparable to Imperial Assault I think), and would never compare those to MoM.

It shares the same universe as AH-lcg yes, but that's where the similarities end.
Both Imperial Assault and MoM has figures, tiles, fighting, an app. Yes. But I'd argue that they are in different genres. If Imperial Assault is anything like Descent, then it's almost non stop fighting and somewhat strategic. Mom is story driven and has much less fighting, the fighting is also much less complicated.

MoM is more of an experience than a strategical game, in fact I'd argue that it's not much strategy at all.
It's more like a gateway game I'd say. I have successfully played it with three people that have been completely new to board games and they have understood it straight away and had a good time.

The set up time is impressively short and simple for being such a relatively large game, and there are few things to learn/explain before playing. The app handles most things and does a good job at it.

I love this game because of the atmosphere and story. If you come looking for a tricky brain melter or strategic fighting game, you've come to the wrong place. This is a game to which you lean back and have a good time. (although some scenarios are really hard, as per usual in the AH universe)

Some might disagree with my statements, which is fine, but this is my experience after 10+ plays.


Thanks for this, it nicely sums up what I'd already grown to suspect: ease of setup and play-ability are two big pluses for the game, as is the story--if you like on-rails narratives. What the game lacks is a lot of interesting choices. I think I'll leave it on my wish list as it sounds like an interesting experience and a good game to pull out on those (infrequent) occasions when I have group to play with and don't want to overwhelm them with something too complex. For now, though, I'll probably look for something a little more substantive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
In fact, I prefer the combat light scenarios of mansions as those scratch a different itch.


Your experience is much different from mine. With the exception of Rising Tide MoM has been pretty combat heavy to me. In fact, I think there’s too much combat and it’s the part of the game I like the least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FunInTheSun wrote:


Thanks for this, it nicely sums up what I'd already grown to suspect: ease of setup and play-ability are two big pluses for the game, as is the story--if you like on-rails narratives.


The MoM scenarios aren’t really “on-rails.” There are multiple paths and endings depending on choices you make and how long you take.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.