Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, I’m thinking about crafting a Mini-Expansion for Xia and wanted to share the process with you, and maybe get some feedback and thoughts.

I happened to pick up the minis for the Galactic Strike Force game in a random circumstance.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/137811/galactic-strike-f...

The mini’s look mostly around the same scale as Xia and might be good candidates to build around. Two of them caught my eye.

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2510803.jpg
Conclave of Niphon Strike Force ship

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2255766.jpg
The Bjarlspire (the one on the stand in the back)
the Conclave of Niphon is on the right behind another ship.

The Conclave of Niphon ship looks a lot like a creature so I’m thinking about doing up some kind of ‘Space Cow’ or other ‘space-born lifeform’ to run as an NPC.
The Bjarlspire looks very similar to the Kiln in size and rough shape, so I’m thinking maybe another space station of some type.

I have the Embers Expansion so I think I’d like to build around the ice/embers theme – maybe some kind of Ice Beast NPC and a Space Station that sells or trades for Ember.

Painting them shouldn’t be too hard, and I could use the same kind of colouring scheme as the Ice Comets.
The stand attachment holes are smaller than Xia’s, so it should be fairly easy to use a small drill to increase the size of hole to mount on Xia’s stands.

Cross-posted from (Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial Design Thoughts

- Utilize the three Ice Comet sectors

"Ice Beast"
- Power level should be roughly the same as the enforcer
- Have some kind of trigger to attack players
- Does Ice Damage on attack
- Missile, Blaster or Ram attack? I like the idea of some kind of Ram attack that it does Maybe explore that
- during normal movement, if it would pass through a ship it makes a ram attack? Might be hard to write as players control movement ("it wouldn't take that path!" "yes it would!")
Blaster/ram attack over missile I think
- Area effect? ships that start/end turn adjacent take 1 ice damage? (too much upkeep/fiddly?)
- Initial placement When first ice sector comes out? Second(like merchant)? Last?
- Merchant like movement? Travel between Ice sectors? Should it travel to the Kiln? (move adjacent to kiln before moving to next ice sector?)
- Player hunting triggers?
Like enforcer check within 1 sector? Any player carrying Ember?
Or just hostile? Target any player on same sector, or has LoS to? LoS within 6?
- Move after attacking (like Scoundrel fleeing)?
- Death rewards - with Ice Damage should be 2 FP
- 1 ember cube dropped in hex its killed in?
- Maybe autopilot like ability, move 2 after every players turn.
Ends its movement within one hex of another ship it moves 6 spaces towards target and attacks if possible?
- If a player rams the ice beast do they take ice damage?

"Ice Station"
- Located on one of the ice comet sectors
- Placement: replace the comet? Use Kiln movement rules?
- Maybe use on ice sector without a mining space?
- Placement: Replace mining space on an ice sector?
- Docking roll (same roll as mining for ember?)? is this too punitive or too fiddly?
- One hex space instead of 3 like the Kiln
- Buy 1 ember for 1,000 Cr?
- Max buy of 2 ember per round? More? Less? No Limit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remi van den barg
Netherlands
arnhem
gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds great, if I would have the Embers of a forsaken star expansion. any chance to combine this with a kickstarter campagne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the ships with Xia ships for scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(N) Ice Beast
Spaceborn Lifeform wandering the Drift
Place the Ice Beast on the \!/ mission point of the second [*:.] Ice Asteroid sector to be discovered.
Acquire Target
• If Attacked, Ice Beast targets most recent attacker (unless they are more than 2 sectors away).
• Otherwise, Ice Beast targets closest ship with Ember in its cargo hold (ties are broken by <20> [d20]).
• If no ships are targeted, Ice Beast targets the \!/ mission point of the furthest [*:.] Ice Asteroid sector.
Move
Ice Beast moves up to 8 spaces towards the target.
Ram
If Ice Beast ends is movement adjacent to target ship and has clear Line of Sight, it attacks with a <8> [d8] Ram Attack that does Ice Damage.
Ice Immunity
The Ice Beast ignores Ice Damage except its Ram attack, and ignores Ice Asteroid borders for movement.
Defense: If attacked, defend with a <8> [d8] Shield.
To Kill: 15* Damage or higher on this card.
On Kill: Collect 1 Ember from the supply and 2(FP). Add +1,000/o\ Bounty

[EDIT Rules Update]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lore

[*:.] Neo Vostok
The brightest minds from the heavily shielded scientific outpost of Neo Vostok have made a breakthrough. They are now able mine small quantities of Ember from the surrounding Ice Asteroids. A small space station, called The Crux, has been setup to sell Ember to further fund research into the secrets of the Turn.

(N) The Crux
The Crux is a small space station carved out of a particularly large Ice Asteroid drifting through the Neo Vostok sector. It is dangerous to approach given its erratic orbit, and the docking area has been forced closed on more than one occasion when a less than highly skilled pilot has attempted to dock, destroying their own ship. However, the high value of Ember continues to draw out skilled traders looking to line their pocket books.

--------------------------------------------

Neo Vostok / The Crux
The Crux: The Crux is a space station NPC that drifts within the Neo Vostok sector. Ships can dock with The Crux (similar to The Kiln).
Setup: When the Neo Vostok sector is revealed, replace the comet miniature with The Crux and place it on the special rules space.
Docking: You may dock with The Crux from any space adjacent to the Crux miniature, at the cost of 1 movement. Place your ship on the Buy Ember space on The Crux NPC card.
Drifting: Whenever any player (not NPC) moves onto any space on the path of The Crux or docks, immediately roll the <6>[d6] and move The Crux the number of spaces rolled along the path. If The Crux ends its movement on a space with a ship/Cargo Cube, that ship/cube is instantly destroyed (same rules as a Star border). Assuming the ship wasn’t destroyed by The Crux’s movement, the ship may continue moving normally. After the initial movement, The Crux won’t move again until: the ship moves off the path and back onto it, the ship docks with the station, or a 2nd ship enters the path.
Embers: The white Cargo Cube, Ember, can be bought on the buy space here at a rate of 1,000 /o\ per cube. You may purchase no more than 1 Ember per Turn.
Inside: Similar to being “on” a planet, players outside of The Crux cannot interact with players inside of The Crux. You may exit The Crux which costs 1 movement, and you’ll place your ship on the game board in any space adjacent to The Crux.
Business Phase: Ships that end their action phase docked with the station may take their normal business phase actions (as if on a planet).
Station’s Turn: The Crux does not take turns like normal NPCs (it moves when a player moves onto any space of its path). The Crux cannot be affected, attacked, or damaged by other ships. If The Crux is destroyed any ship currently docked is destroyed as well. The Crux respawns on the special rules space of Neo Vostok at the start of the next player’s turn.

--------------------------------------------

NPC Card (Similar to The Kiln NPC Card)

(N) The Crux
A Drifting Ice Station
Place on [*:. Neo Vostok] when it is discovered.
You may Enter/Exit from any adjacent space.
Drift: Roll a <6>[d6] when a ship enters the path or docks.
Artwork: Single hex outlined in Green with the following rules text
Buy upto 1 [Ember] 1,000/o\ per turn

[EDIT Rules Update]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ice Beast FAQ

Q) If the Ice Beast kills an innocent player or NPC ship, does it get a bounty?
A) No. The Ice Beast is always an Innocent.

Q) Can the Ice Beast be a legal target for the Scoundrel?
A) Yes.

Q) What happens if an NPC kills the Ice Beast?
A) Add +1,000 /o\ bounty to the NPC's card.

Q) Can the Ice Beast collect /o\ credits from killed NPC ships?
A) No. Discard them.

[EDIT Rules Update]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sallay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After much playtesting I have created these cards and posted them - feedback is welcome:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/167397/embers-mini-expans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.