29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: No shrink-wrap on a "new" game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Mechanics Matter Theme Matters
msg tools
Has anybody else bought a game from Amazon (3rd party seller though) and had a game arrive as new but without shrink-wrap - instead with those four round transparent stickers, one on each side sticking to the box and the lid (and tearing the box as they came off, bah!)

The games like that smell kind of stale too. This particular third party seller also just sent it in a jiffy-envelope and the box got damaged.

Anyway, yeah - is this normal having no shrink wrap and just four stupid stickers or not so?

Thank you for any replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. The norm for non-mass market games are with shrink and not those stupid stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Not every game manufacturer shrink wraps. I know none of my Splotter Spellen came in shrink.

So I guess the answer is "it depends".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Not every game manufacturer shrink wraps. I know non of my Splotter Spellen came in shrink.

Splotter's been shrink-wrapping for a few years now. Any non-shrink-wrapped game from them is not new.

I think I received my copy of the 2016 edition of Robo Rally non-shrink-wrapped though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Not every game manufacturer shrink wraps. I know non of my Splotter Spellen came in shrink.

Splotter's been shrink-wrapping for a few years now. Any non-shrink-wrapped game from them is not new.

That isn't totally true. I bought the latest version of Roads and Boats from a stack at FunAgain games at BGG.Con last year that none of them were in shrink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Imhotep new on amazon's prime deal day and it actually came without shrinkwrap or anything. The components were sealed and new and the box was in great shape but it struck me as very odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you write the company, they'll probably mail you the shrink wrap.

Pete (isn't sure why people want it so badly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PYR8 wrote:
Anyway, yeah - is this normal having no shrink wrap and just four stupid stickers or not so?

It's more common on "budget" or mass-market releases (e.g. the Target version of Las Vegas), stickering is cheaper.

Quote:
The games like that smell kind of stale too. This particular third party seller also just sent it in a jiffy-envelope and the box got damaged.

Fun fact: "New game smell," like new car smell, is just the components outgassing. Mmm, benzene!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
If you think that I prefer the "offgassing" of whatever stale odors and elements the boxes have been picking up since sitting around wherever for two or three years since being printed you're wrong. Bring on the benzene.

(Since we're discussing that I have heard that certain house-plants can absorb and process certain chemicals in the air, such as benzene to some degree, or maybe it's the microbes around their roots, I forget - the book is " How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 Houseplants That Purify Your Home or Office ")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
PYR8 wrote:
If you think that I prefer the "offgassing" of whatever stale odors and elements the boxes have been picking up since sitting around wherever for two or three years since being printed you're wrong. Bring on the benzene.

Yu should smell my Nexus Ops when I bought it....was singing Captain Jack after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
If you write the company, they'll probably mail you the shrink wrap.

Pete (isn't sure why people want it so badly)

Because it allows the game to arrive/be received clean and fresh and crisp and some games without it may have been sitting in warehouses for potentially many months and picking up the smells around it - dust, scuffs, moisture in the air, ect. Also receiving a game without shrink-wrap is like paying for new but getting 2nd hand. Futhermore the alternative method apparently makes it very difficult not to accidentally tear up the box when I try to carefully peel them off in order to open them. That's why.

Simple question - and I have my answers now thank you all for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PYR8 wrote:
some games without it may have been sitting in warehouses for potentially many months and picking up the smells around it - dust, scuffs, moisture in the air, ect.
Thin plastic is air- and moisture-permeable over that sort of time span. See, e.g., freezer burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
PYR8 wrote:
some games without it may have been sitting in warehouses for potentially many months and picking up the smells around it - dust, scuffs, moisture in the air, ect.
Thin plastic is air- and moisture-permeable over that sort of time span. See, e.g., freezer burn.

Unfortunately my freezer can only hold so many games ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you told us what game it is, someone could tell you if it comes shrink-wrapped or not.

I know that Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers, for example, comes with stickers (my copy still has them, as I've cut them in order to avoid damage to the box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
GSReis wrote:
If you told us what game it is, someone could tell you if it comes shrink-wrapped or not.

I know that Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers, for example, comes with stickers (my copy still has them, as I've cut them in order to avoid damage to the box).

Risk:Europe
Hasbro - Risk Europe Premium Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PYR8 wrote:
GSReis wrote:

That one comes with no shrinkwrap, just the pesky stickers. Which is unusual. I have a copy and my son got one about a year later.

Talking of unusual shrinkwrap situations, Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire's rules are shrinkwrapped! Kinda a pain trying not to crease the manual taking the shrinkwrap off!

C'mon, industry, we need standardisation!

Have fun with the game, I really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
blackmeeple wrote:
PYR8 wrote:
GSReis wrote:

That one comes with no shrinkwrap, just the pesky stickers. Which is unusual. I have a copy and my son got one about a year later.

Talking of unusual shrinkwrap situations, Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire's rules are shrinkwrapped! Kinda a pain trying not to crease the manual taking the shrinkwrap off!

C'mon, industry, we need standardisation!

Have fun with the game, I really like it.

Thanks for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more common on game boxes with tab closures. If I got a game that came in the plain lift-off-lid style box with sticker seals, I'd be suspicious. But tab closures? Nah, that's expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
It's more common on game boxes with tab closures. If I got a game that came in the plain lift-off-lid style box with sticker seals, I'd be suspicious. But tab closures? Nah, that's expected.

It's a plain lift-off-lid style box with sticker seals - and I tore it opening it though I tried to be careful. The box also came damaged in the mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
PYR8 wrote:
GSReis wrote:

The discussion on that topic:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1689905/so-game-does-not-co...

A lot of time you can search a game's forum, as if it didn't come in shrink, someone probably already asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
It is an interesting topic considering boardgaming as a hobby doesn't really have a standard for grading or describing condition like comics, trading cards, records etc.

A game without shrink but unpunched components? Its certainly not used, but is it technically new?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
PYR8 wrote:

It's one of those acquired associations in our consumer culture. New stuff smells a certain way, we enjoy buying new stuff, therefore we enjoy the smell. But anyone who's actually wrapped things with shrink can tell you it ain't airtight.

Frankiedamn wrote:
It is an interesting topic considering boardgaming as a hobby doesn't really have a standard for grading or describing condition like comics, trading cards, records etc.

And thank God for that -- let's not enable the "MY RESALE VALUE!" crowd any further by establishing more of a grading system than we already have in the generic self-reporting of the Marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Gloomhaven uses stickers in lieu of shrink-wrap.

Think of how many oil trees this conservation of shrink rap plastic saved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
dpbush wrote:
lomn wrote:
PYR8 wrote:

It's one of those acquired associations in our consumer culture. New stuff smells a certain way, we enjoy buying new stuff, therefore we enjoy the smell. But anyone who's actually wrapped things with shrink can tell you it ain't airtight.

I believe you - infact I have another game that came and the thing stinks of perfume or insence sticks or oily greasy talcum-powder and the shrink stunk and the box under the shrink stunk and the shrink didn't stop it from making the box stink. But even so - I suppose what it is at a gut-level is the feeling of "have I been ripped off" or "something isn't right". That brand-new smell of books and games in a way is what I associate with brand-new product, and if it has some other scent which is stale or perfumey or smokey or greasy ect, then it's telling me something different.

I don't care about "resale" value, and I am not neurotic about it at all - it's like getting a hair in a restaurant meal - it might not be particularly any less clean but it doesn't feel right.

Anyway, I was surprised as I thought that the round-stupid-stickers were a throwback to decades ago and not really standard - but point taken that even being in shrink-wrap doesn't guarantee that unwanted smells wont permeate - so it's also to do with how long the thing has been sitting on some shelf somewhere and how fresh from the print it is, ect.

Thanks for the search link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PYR8 wrote:
Has anybody else bought a game from Amazon (3rd party seller though) and had a game arrive as new but without shrink-wrap - instead with those four round transparent stickers, one on each side sticking to the box and the lid (and tearing the box as they came off, bah!)

Thank you for any replies.

Did they sell it "like new" or as "new"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.