Subject: Confused on solo capability of this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've read there is an app for this game that allows for solo play but it only applies to certain characters. Is that for the expansion pack characters and for the core game characters?

From what I've read it really sounds like this game isn't very solo capable. Is that assumption correct?

I'm jones'ing for a Star Wars game that lends itself to solo play (that's not a PC game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy the core box and download the app and play the game solo right away.

Buying expansion content will simply unlock additional stuff in the app (currently only the core box content is supported in the app, with the assumption that additional content will roll out eventually which includes expansion content).

The app supports 1-4 players, and if playing solo, you can control 2, 3 or 4 characters at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the released heroes from the game and its expansions are already playable in the app. It indeed does allow you to play solo. You don’t get to use all the Imperial characters nor all the Rebel Allies from the expansions yet, but those will come in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(double-ninja'd... Hmmm... Why did I even try? laugh )

acctingman wrote:
I've read there is an app for this game that allows for solo play but it only applies to certain characters. Is that for the expansion pack characters and for the core game characters?

From what I've read it really sounds like this game isn't very solo capable. Is that assumption correct?

I'm jones'ing for a Star Wars game that lends itself to solo play (that's not a PC game)

The official App lets you play solo if you play 2 heroes (or more, up to 4).
The supported heroes are any, so basically that means you're free to use the ones from the core box (as I do).
Expansions are not fully supported yet - Items, Supplies and Heroes are supported, but that's it.

The App is an OK experience in that its AI isn't on par with humans at all, so it gets serious boosts compared to normal capabilities of the enemy figures in order to compensate. (The AI doesn't know where a figure is on the board when it orders it around - you're the one executing the order to the best of your understanding.)

There's another option for solo play: Imperial Directive is a fan-made website that does the same thing, but takes you through the campaign you'd play from the core box (instead of a new campaign that was created for the official App). It's work in progress, but I find it pretty good too. Same thing though: it doesn't know where figures areon the board, so that'll limit what the AI can do. I mean - you get to activate the figures yourself, guided by orders from the App.

I am myself still looking for whether I consider this game a good solo game. It definitely is a good group game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also the Redjak variants that will let you automate the overlord and play the regular campaign out of the box. Check the file section...you have to PnP or get the cards from PrinterStudios, but folks seem to like the way it plays out. I just ordered some of the cards myself, so I will get a chance to check it out at some point.

Here's a link to one of them:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124289/redjaks-automa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a blast playing with the app. I sometimes ignore the priority shooting of the AI. I usually always make it focus fire on someone, since that is more likely the way I play as the empire, and have it played against me. This makes for a very tense game. I use the extra abilities as well, and man they can take a hero down quickly... I haven't played this way on hard yet, as normal play it makes it very difficult.

Also there is a web base solo program that takes you through the base campaign which is very nice, and you can print out redjaks variant to play more ways solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
acctingman wrote:

There are several ways to play Imperial Assault solo.

1. I have played a number of missions two-handed solo. It's a more or less exhausting way to play because you have to play both sides, especially because I (almost) always play with 4 heroes.

2. There are Redjak7's Automated Imperial and Emperor Variants. (e.g. RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1 - Under new management )

3. The already mentioned Imperial Directive.

4. The Legends of the Alliance app - you can't play the already released campaigns, but the app comes with its own Flight of the Freedom Fighter campaign and encounters. More content will be added later.

If you don't really want to play solo, but just don't have people to play with, there is quite an active Play by Forum crowd for Imperial Assault. See Play By Forum, and SWIA PBF Wiki. It takes close to a year to play a full campaign though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks folks.

Enough info for me to take the plunge.

This seems the best solo game for the SW universe that's out there.

I saw the new one, "Legion"?, but that looks like it requires lot of made terrain (no thanks!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acctingman wrote:
Thanks folks.

Enough info for me to take the plunge.

This seems the best solo game for the SW universe that's out there.

I saw the new one, "Legion"?, but that looks like it requires lot of made terrain (no thanks!)

Legion is also strictly competitive.

Here's a link to the bgg thread for Imperial Directive, which as has been pointed out, unlocks a lot of existing content for solo play, and will continue to do so, it seems: Imperial Directive, a solo/co-op campaign web app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.