Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing AH LCG, ran through first scenario twice just to get the hand of it before playing a real campaign.

I'm confused by the "Engage" action and not really understanding what's its purpose, especially when playing solo.

Rulebook states:

(regarding monster engagement)
Quote:

While an enemy card is in play, either it is engaged with
an investigator (and placed in that player’s threat area),
or it is at a location (and placed at that location).
[...]

Any time a ready non-engaged enemy is at the same
location as an investigator, it engages that investigator
and is placed in that investigator’s threat area.

(regarding the "Engage" action)
Quote:

Engage
The investigator using this action engages one enemy
that is at his or her location.
To engage an enemy, the
investigator places that enemy in his or her threat area.

Strategy Tip:
This action may be used to engage either an enemy
that is not currently engaged
or an enemy that is currently
engaged with another investigator at the same location.

So, my understanding of the above rules is that as soon as a monster either spawns into a location with an investigator, or if an investigator moves to a location with a monster, that monster automatically engages the investigator.

So in which circumstances would the "Engage" action make any sense then?
Based on the above, engagement would automatically happen as soon as monster(s) and investigator(s) are sharing the same location.

The only purpose I can think of is in a multiplayer game, where one investigator could engage a monster already engaged with another investigator to relieve an investigator in trouble...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aloof is a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
You are correct.

In addition (as mentioned by poster above) aloof enemies must be engaged first before attacked. That loss of action can be very annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aloof is indeed probably the key time you'll want to use it. There are others though, since exhausted enemies don't automatically engage you either - for example, you may want to engage an exhausted enemy in order to be able to deal it more damage with a Machete, or you might want to drag it into another location without taking an Attack of Opportunity along the way, or in multiplayer you may want to engage it so that when it readies its Prey instruction doesn't cause it to engage with the squishier Investigator in the room next to you!

It's not going to be an action you take nearly as frequently as other actions, but it is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I have not met any "Aloof" monsters yet so that's good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The engage action can also be used to save allies. Let's say your ally with 1 health left has an enemy engaged with them and their turn is over. You can engage that enemy and then kill it, evade it or take it's damage yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are a good number of Guardian cards that benefit/trigger from engaging/being engaged with enemies (mostly in expansions).

Zooey's special trait also incentivizes engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
The engage action can also be used to save allies. Let's say your ally with 1 health left has an enemy engaged with them and their turn is over. You can engage that enemy and then kill it, evade it or take it's damage yourself.

By allies you mean fellow investigators (not Ally assets). But the OP's post seems to suggest he's playing solo investigator so that wouldn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, other than Aloof enemies, there are very few situations where a solo investigator would use the action. I know of at least one enemy that enters play exhausted, and there are reasons to want to engage it before attacking it (e.g. Zoey's ability or the Machete bonus).

There might be a reason to Evade something then re-engage, but there would almost certainly be a better course of action. Maybe Skids would do it to safely play a Machete, then use a fourth action to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Machete +1 damage if you're engaged with only one enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Thanks guys, I have not met any "Aloof" monsters yet so that's good to know!

You don't meet any until Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Dunwich Legacy: Expansion. Engaging in solo play is very, very rare. In multiplayer, in addition to what has been pointed out above, you might engage an enemy engaged with someone else just so that if you miss you don't accidentally damage them.

I'd also recommend trying out 2-handed play after you've done a solo run-through as you get to see different tactics you'll need to employ with 2 characters than with 1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lots of reasons.

- To fight Aloof enemies

- When you want to attack an enemy engaged with another player, you will risk the damage ging to him/her when you fail the test. If you must prevent that, engage it yourself first.

- When an enemy is engaged with another player, and that player needs to grab cards, resources, clues etc. he/she would get attacks of opportunity. To prevent that, you go first, engage it, and fight it off, so that player #2 can do her thing.

- To prevent an enemy killing another investigator when the enemy phase starts. The other player could evade the enemy, but that doesn't always go as planned.

There are a lot more reasons you'll discover yourself while playing. Because you need to be creative when playing the game sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, Rex is engaged with an enemy.
And he doesn't know what to do with it.
So Roland or Mark engage it and let Rex flee.
And Rex is grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.