Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are many posts about inserts discussing, mostly, Meeple Realty, Broken Token and Daedalus. But there are a few more brands and not much feedback about them. There is a pretty long thread Organizers Compared?... with fantastic information, but as I said, mostly about three models. And since most people only buy one of them, direct comparisons are difficult. So, I thought that maybe having players rate the inserts they bought or have seen could help those of us still deciding.

Any comments are welcome, although most of the details about MR, BT and Daedalus are already known. Any information about the other models would be really helpful.

Thanks!

BTW, I hope the format of the poll is the right one. I have never used them before on bgg, so I was not sure what to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I haven't purchased any of these, I was designing my own to be 3d printed and many of my pieces I found out after are quite similar to Daedalus'. This was of course before I decided to go with the protective pages/folder option for most things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Love the Broken Token insert, however, I've had to glue a substantial amount of it as is the case with some of their inserts for larger games. Still give it a 9/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buczek
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Go7Gaming insert and like it. It takes a different approach to the Character Boxes. It actually replaces them completely with one that holds the cards, tokens and minis all in a sturdier case. This ends up taking up more room in the big box, but will last longer over time. I also quite like the trays they use for tiles and monster minis. Because of the larger character boxes the main box lid doesn't quite close all the way, especially if you get the extra top tray. But I haven't really noticed since the box is so tall anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Randeth wrote:
I have the Go7Gaming insert and like it. It takes a different approach to the Character Boxes. It actually replaces them completely with one that holds the cards, tokens and minis all in a sturdier case. This ends up taking up more room in the big box, but will last longer over time. I also quite like the trays they use for tiles and monster minis. Because of the larger character boxes the main box lid doesn't quite close all the way, especially if you get the extra top tray. But I haven't really noticed since the box is so tall anyway.

Thank you for this information! It says on their website that character boxes won't fit all cards sleeved for some characters. I haven't played the game yet, so I do not know how much of an issue that is. Will that mean sleeving and unsleeving cards all the time?

And also, how easy is it to find all the monster stuff? Specially, since the BT insert has a box for each monster, do you miss such a feature, or is it enough to have monster cards in three large groups?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No link/vote for Y.A.S.S / other variants? They're essential and didn't cost too much. I actually prefer them to the retail ones.

Only thing i need to find is a better item/card storage for each character, it's tricky fitting everything back inside their envelopes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Rahm
msg tools
apertotes wrote:

Thank you for this information! It says on their website that character boxes won't fit all cards sleeved for some characters. I haven't played the game yet, so I do not know how much of an issue that is. Will that mean sleeving and unsleeving cards all the time?

It seems strange to me because I crafted my own insert with foamboard with the goal of having character boxes just like this high enough to accomodate for all the cards sleeved.

In the end I can sleeve all the card of the scoundrel (which have a base hand of 9) but you will never have all the cards available for your class so no need to sleeve them all. However with this solution the base of the minis are too large to fit with the height I planned for the boxes.

To conclude, if their char boxes can fit the mini, it should easily fit the cards sleeved or at least 90% of them sleeved which is enough for your pool of available cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does any insert besides the Broken Token have some kind of active party tray? This seems incredibly handy to reduce the required time to set up the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
me athome
msg tools
Are there any reviews for the GameFit one anywhere? Can the 1 person who voted 7 for it maybe tell what the issues with it are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tael2735 wrote:

To conclude, if their char boxes can fit the mini, it should easily fit the cards sleeved or at least 90% of them sleeved which is enough for your pool of available cards

Does that pool of available cards change often? Will cards need to be sleeved and unsleeved after every scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
Tael2735 wrote:

Does that pool of available cards change often? Will cards need to be sleeved and unsleeved after every scenario?

No. You add exactly one card to your pool when you level, and never remove cards from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After 31 votes, these are the results:

1. Broken Token: 21 votes, 8.85
2. Meeple Realty: 9 votes, 7.9
3. Daedalus: 5 votes, 7.8
4. Laserox: 4 votes, 8.5
5. Go7Gaming: 4 votes, 7.25
6. TowerRex: 3 votes, 7.3
7. GameFit: 3 votes, 6.65

It looks quite clear that Broken Token inserts are more appreciated than the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johan

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how much of the BT rating is related to being the most well known insert maker on the list and the seller who has likely pushed the most product.

Regardless, I just got the Go7 and am very impressed. I rated it a 9 because there's always room for improvement (like price!). That said, I suspect I would rate all others lower given what I have read/seen.

Also worth noting that the Go7 arrived in 3 days (US).

Overall, I would highly recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mjohan wrote:
I wonder how much of the BT rating is related to being the most well known insert maker on the list and the seller who has likely pushed the most product.

Regardless, I just got the Go7 and am very impressed. I rated it a 9 because there's always room for improvement (like price!). That said, I suspect I would rate all others lower given what I have read/seen.

Cool! Could you share a bit more information about it? Is there something you particularly like? Something you dislike? Judging by what you have read about other inserts, what do you think the Go7 insert does better?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
mjohan wrote:

Cool! Could you share a bit more information about it? Is there something you particularly like? Something you dislike? Judging by what you have read about other inserts, what do you think the Go7 insert does better?

Thanks!
Pluses: better material, character boxes, designed for both editions, individual labeled slots for monsters and overlays.

Minuses: Someone has to fill the character boxes (spouse/friend), hard to get all terrain in without lid lift (I think most have this problem), probably can't sleeve everything, cost.

go7 was an easy buy for me (I strongly prefer them), and I have been very happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:

It looks quite clear that Broken Token inserts are more appreciated than the rest.

Is that not just because more people have purchased the Broken Token than any other insert? How many bought the BT insert and didn't even know some of these other units existed?

I deliberately DIDN'T buy the BT insert because I don't like the monster tuck boxes. I ordered the TowerRex insert just yesterday, so of course I can't review it - or any of these other pieces.

I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but unless someone has purchased ALL of these and can compare them in such areas as ease to build, durability, ease to setup, functionality during play, and ease to tear down, then this poll really doesn't help anyone make a decision in which to purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ViperMan wrote:
apertotes wrote:

Is that not just because more people have purchased the Broken Token than any other insert? How many bought the BT insert and didn't even know some of these other units existed?

I deliberately DIDN'T buy the BT insert because I don't like the monster tuck boxes. I ordered the TowerRex insert just yesterday, so of course I can't review it - or any of these other pieces.

I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but unless someone has purchased ALL of these and can compare them in such areas as ease to build, durability, ease to setup, functionality during play, and ease to tear down, then this poll really doesn't help anyone make a decision in which to purchase.

The number of votes is surely a question of popularity. The average rating is not, though. The idea of the poll is to let people rate how happy and satisfied are they with their insert. If we get enough votes, we may see a trend.

For example, I own the BT insert for 7 Wonders. I do not own any other insert for 7 Wonders, so a comparison is difficult, yet I could easily give a rating for it, which would be a 9. Why not a 10? It comes with less card dividers than desired. Since they sell stand alone packs of dividers, I feel that I do not need to lower the rating more than 1 point. Other than that, the insert works perfectly. It has space for all expansions, sleeved cards, trays for tokens and it speeds game setup immensely.

What would be really useful is that after voting, people would post their thoughts about their insert. Feedback of those that rated poorly their insert would be specially useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
ViperMan wrote:
apertotes wrote:

The number of votes is surely a question of popularity. The average rating is not, though. The idea of the poll is to let people rate how happy and satisfied are they with their insert. If we get enough votes, we may see a trend.

For example, I own the BT insert for 7 Wonders. I do not own any other insert for 7 Wonders, so a comparison is difficult, yet I could easily give a rating for it, which would be a 9. Why not a 10? It comes with less card dividers than desired. Since they sell stand alone packs of dividers, I feel that I do not need to lower the rating more than 1 point. Other than that, the insert works perfectly. It has space for all expansions, sleeved cards, trays for tokens and it speeds game setup immensely.
This assumes people are only voting for what they own/have tried, and that you will get enough votes to weed out meaningless votes. For example, if I vote a 5 for all the ones I don't own, the BT average will change a lot less than the others. This is the whole idea on the site of the "geek rating".

Weeding through pros/cons discussions is probably your best bet for finding what is right for you, and not the average of this poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Pluses: better material, character boxes, designed for both editions, individual labeled slots for monsters and overlays.

Minuses: Someone has to fill the character boxes (spouse/friend), hard to get all terrain in without lid lift (I think most have this problem), probably can't sleeve everything, cost.

go7 was an easy buy for me (I strongly prefer them), and I have been very happy with it.

Thanks a lot! Regarding character boxes, would you say they are similar to BT character boxes? I know that the BT insert only has 4 of them, but do they fit the same role? Do they hold the same components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
This assumes people are only voting for what they own/have tried, and that you will get enough votes to weed out meaningless votes. For example, if I vote a 5 for all the ones I don't own, the BT average will change a lot less than the others.

Sure, but why would anyone do that? Why would anybody rate something they haven't tried at all? Besides, it is clear that that's not happening, since the BT insert has many more votes than the rest. If BT owners had rated the rest of the inserts, all of them would have more than 15 votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Thanks a lot! Regarding character boxes, would you say they are similar to BT character boxes? I know that the BT insert only has 4 of them, but do they fit the same role? Do they hold the same components?
They are pretty similar, though the go7 are complete boxes with lids and you have them for all classes. They also don't hold the dials since they are class boxes and not limited to the current party. The thing I like is never having to put stuff back into the default class boxes, ever, even if you switch a class out of the party. Instead you can just trash them once you move everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
This assumes people are only voting for what they own/have tried, and that you will get enough votes to weed out meaningless votes. For example, if I vote a 5 for all the ones I don't own, the BT average will change a lot less than the others.

Sure, but why would anyone do that? Why would anybody rate something they haven't tried at all? Besides, it is clear that that's not happening, since the BT insert has many more votes than the rest. If BT owners had rated the rest of the inserts, all of them would have more than 15 votes.
You currently have 33 polls answered and 51 total votes. I doubt most people have seen more than 1 insert first hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I voted for MR and BT because I bought, built and used both.

BT all the way here. Fits the tiles better and I love the tuckboxes.

The MR kit has been around longer than the others for what that is worth.

Anyone want an assembled MR insert? I will sell it at the same price, but assembled and I will cover freight. Not negotiating on the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
apertotes wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

You currently have 33 polls answered and 51 total votes. I doubt most people have seen more than 1 insert first hand.

That averages 1.55 votes per person. I do not think that is bad at all in a poll that has 7 possible votes.

There may be people that bought one insert for the 1st edition of the game and later backed the 2nd edition and decided to buy a different insert, for example. Or friends that bought different inserts and have seen them in person.

Of course, we may have trolls that simply vote down anything they didn't buy. That's life. But I think that 51 votes on 33 answers is not bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apertotes wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
apertotes wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

That averages 1.55 votes per person. I do not think that is bad at all in a poll that has 7 possible votes.

There may be people that bought one insert for the 1st edition of the game and later backed the 2nd edition and decided to buy a different insert, for example. Or friends that bought different inserts and have seen them in person.

Of course, we may have trolls that simply vote down anything they didn't buy. That's life. But I think that 51 votes on 33 answers is not bad at all.
I think the main thing is to try to get the people that marked something 5 or below to explain why. Were these votes not based on personal experience or do they have serious issues that would be relevant to potential buyers? If I felt that dissatisfied with an insert, you could expect a rant to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.