Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is still unclear to me how wages work.

Rules explicitly state you only pay for workers you use.

But in another thread, it seems you always pay for all workers...

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
It is still unclear to me how wages work.

Rules explicitly state you only pay for workers you use.

But in another thread, it seems you always pay for all workers...

Which is correct?

Used worker = was available to use at the beginning of the round, or was hired (back) during the round.

You can't actively CHOOSE to not use a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that you don't have to pay wages to the Helper if we didn't use him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:

If you haven't HIRED it yet, then indeed you don't have to pay. But once it's hired, it's available, therefore used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
Mordenthral wrote:

If you haven't HIRED it yet, then indeed you don't have to pay. But once it's hired, it's available, therefore used.

There is a Helper that is always available from the beginning of the game, and one you can get with an upgrade card. What do you mean by hiring one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to Pay for the helper even if you don't use him. The helper that start the game has to be paid.
Only time you won't pay is when you don't have enough money.

Hiring means taking the 2nd helper with the upgrade card.
Re-hiring is paying the dues for a worker who was a not paid in previous round(s).

To put it simple you are obliged to pay the wages for all workers in play(even if they just stand and watch in the kitchen) if you have the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rams1984 wrote:
You have to Pay for the helper even if you don't use him. The helper that start the game has to be paid.

Re-hiring is paying the dues for a worker who was a not paid in previous round(s).

To put it simple you are obliged to pay the wages for all workers in play(even if they just stand and watch in the kitchen) if you have the money.

I thought hiring was the Office action where you pay 2 coins to bring back a worker during the action phase.

—————-

I guess the take away from this is that the Helper you begin the game with needs to be paid even if you don’t use him, so there’s no reason to try to do everything without using the Helper.

Then there is also a second Helper that you can “hire” by purchasing the Upgrade.

When paying wages, you must pay 3 coins for all Workers/Helpers that were available to the players, beginning with the Helpers. Any that aren’t paid are set aside.

These Workers that are set aside can be returned in 2 ways:
1) Use the Office during the action phase; pay 2 coins and add the Worker to the Office until the sand runs out.
2) While paying wages, if you have enough coins, pay 3 coins for Workers that are still set aside from previous rounds.

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
rams1984 wrote:

I thought hiring was the Office action where you pay 2 coins to bring back a worker during the action phase.

—————-

I guess the take away from this is that the Helper you begin the game with needs to be paid even if you don’t use him, so there’s no reason to try to do everything without using the Helper.

Then there is also a second Helper that you can “hire” by purchasing the Upgrade.

When paying wages, you must pay 3 coins for all Workers/Helpers that were available to the players, beginning with the Helpers. Any that aren’t paid are set aside.

These Workers that are set aside can be returned in 2 ways:
1) Use the Office during the action phase; pay 2 coins and add the Worker to the Office until the sand runs out.
2) While paying wages, if you have enough coins, pay 3 coins for Workers that are still set aside from previous rounds.

?

Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So essentially the rules are poorly written? Rules state if the hourglass is used, you pay its wages. The assumption then is if an hourglass is not used, you would not pay its wages.

But in reality, all active workers get paid, whether used or not.

Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So essentially the rules are poorly written? Rules state if the hourglass is used, you pay its wages. The assumption then is if an hourglass is not used, you would not pay its wages.

But in reality, all active workers get paid, whether used or not.

Or am I missing something?

That was my confusion too.

You're not missing anything now. All -available- hourglasses must be paid wages, starting with the Helper hourglasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game seems difficult btw, would like to know how your fulfilling Normal and Hard objectives without using the helper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rams1984 wrote:
Game seems difficult btw, would like to know how your fulfilling Normal and Hard objectives without using the helper.

Me and my wife have squeaked past on normal. Haven't tried hard yet.

Can't even do easy with the kids playing. Haha

Edit: I think it will be harder now having to pay the Helper every round too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.