Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm playing these 3 characters and it's been ok, I chose them because I wanted to get away from the other starting characters I'd already used a bunch. However, I'm having some real problems with crowd control. None of them have much in the way of area attacks. Well, the Brute has some in-your-face multi-target cards, but not a lot and they're fairly weak.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how these guys can synergize. Crowd control isn't really an option with them, so what's the best way to deal with crowded rooms? Or, worse, rooms with those damn Cultists that summon a zillion skeletons...I think I've lost more games to that than anything other monster ability.

I'm low level still, level 2 right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metony mous
msg tools
mb

We also play Soundrel, Mindthief, Brute, now at lvl 5-6 and it has worked great.

For crowd control, Brute has been essential, we have not taken any of the tanking cards, but always chosen the cards that gets kills fastest.

It has been essential for Brut too keep two low initiative cards (even if they are not so impressing). Especially Provoking Roar (it has disarm, but most important, initiative 10, his fastest card), so with crowds he gets inn first and disarms, then Soundrel can use her cards that depends on adjacency, and the Mindthief gets inn with a stun. With that we usually get one kill and pacifies the two most scaring enemies with stun and disarm.
With all inn and fast kills, this usually gets the situation under control. Next round Brut may use his other low initiative card for move 2 and a kill, and then a new stun/kill from Mindthief.
Scoundral and Mindthief also has the invisibility cloak if it gets too tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for this combo - we used a similar version of this but we also have the tinkerer as our 4th guy. We keep the tinkerer in the back for healing and really use the 3 to single out and blitz enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hansen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
This is a "pick and kills targets to reduce threat" team imo, more than a "kill everything in 1 turn" team. As an added bonus, you have the scoundrel to reduce big threats with.

At low level, I'd focus on using invisibility 1-2 times per dungeon to breach doors and control pile ups, so that you can manage your targets.

I'd use occasional high hp summons from the MT to deal with bad spots like cultist-summoning hallways.

At mid to high level, thinks will either die WAY fast to the brute and scoundrel or be totally mind-messed by the MT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
I'm playing these 3 characters and it's been ok, I chose them because I wanted to get away from the other starting characters I'd already used a bunch. However, I'm having some real problems with crowd control. None of them have much in the way of area attacks. Well, the Brute has some in-your-face multi-target cards, but not a lot and they're fairly weak.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how these guys can synergize. Crowd control isn't really an option with them, so what's the best way to deal with crowded rooms? Or, worse, rooms with those damn Cultists that summon a zillion skeletons...I think I've lost more games to that than anything other monster ability.

I'm low level still, level 2 right now.

All three of your characters have the capability to go before the cultists when they summon, and kill or stun them.

Scoundrel: High damage, so can easily gang up on a cultist with the Mindthief or Brute and finish it off.

Mindthief: Has multiple stun attacks (and also high damage, courtesy of The Mind's Weakness).

Brute: Can buy a Warhammer and use it to stun several enemies with Trample and Boots of Speed, or use it in an emergency to stun a cultist if the summon card comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.