Subject: My only complaint about Mysterium... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Rose
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium is really a fantastic game! Truly wonderful! Probably one of my Top 3 board games of all time.

The only problem I have with it is that the included rulebook is TERRIBLE! I don't see how ANYBODY could learn the game from reading the rulebook. There are lots of omissions, and the things that ARE included are confusing, incomplete, and make no sense. It's likely one of the worst rulebooks that I have encountered in a while.

So it seems like the only way to learn this game is from somebody else who is already an expert on the game... either learning from them in person or via online video. Word-of-mouth is the only way to effectively learn this game.

I wish the company that makes this game would actually invest some time & resources to include a decent manual with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I had no issue with the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scotty321 wrote:
The only problem I have with it is that the included rulebook is TERRIBLE! I don't see how ANYBODY could learn the game from reading the rulebook. There are lots of omissions, and the things that ARE included are confusing, incomplete, and make no sense. It's likely one of the worst rulebooks that I have encountered in a while.

Can you provide some examples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb

You'll love Mice and Mystics then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, you should have been there for the first BGG.Con when it came out as Tajemnicze Domostwo, and there were at least two different versions of the rules, neither of which were available in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I had no issue with the rulebook.

Yeah, do you have any examples? We opened the shrink and played a 6 player game without much of an issue the first time we played. May have gotten some minor rules wrong, but the game went smooth and we all had fun.

This is the english version I assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rulebook odd, but not undecipherable. I do think the rulebook makes learning the game harder than it should be.

Also I think the rulebook appeals more to people who learn more easily from images than from text. I am not such a person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think the layout of the manual adds a little bit of unnecessary confusion, I didn't think it was bad enough to make it hard to learn the game. I do wish it would flow better. I'm used to side bars and boxes containing examples of rules that are written out, but in Mysterium, the side bars and boxes contain actual rules, which I find odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob stewart
msg tools
mbmbmb
I felt the same way after reading it over a few times. Thank the Lord for SU&SD for filling in the blanks for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got this amazing game, but yeah, the rulebook was a bear. It's funny how often the rulebooks in games are way more complex than the game itself turns out to be.
Though in this case it's more an issue with the layout. I appreciate that they tried to make it nice and visual, but the info is too scattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.