15 Posts

Paths to Hell» Forums » Rules

Subject: On board artillery indirect fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
When an artillery unit is used for on board indirect fire, should it observe its range of fire limitation and the ensuing limitation in the FF when firing at a distance greater than its range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indirect fire refers to off board artillery specified by scenario instructions. Artillery units on board fire is a Direct Fire, subject to range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Indirect fire refers to off board artillery specified by scenario instructions. Artillery units on board fire is a Direct Fire, subject to range.

Hi Lawrence, I'm actually referring to section 8.1.4, i.e. "indirect on board artillery"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
samuele wrote:
When an artillery unit is used for on board indirect fire, should it observe its range of fire limitation and the ensuing limitation in the FF when firing at a distance greater than its range?

Hi Samuele

No, functions like off board artillery with small diferences write in the rules

regards

JCC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent, thanks. This means the on board artillery unit can reach any target on the map as long as the leader has LOS on the target right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
samuele wrote:
Excellent, thanks. This means the on board artillery unit can reach any target on the map as long as the leader has LOS on the target right?

Yes, but maximun distance at double of is normal range

regrads

JCC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cebryk wrote:

regrads

JCC

Eh, that's new!!!
Where is located this rule?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
madpax wrote:
Cebryk wrote:

regrads

JCC

Eh, that's new!!!
Where is located this rule?

Marc

Hi Mark

Becouse the ART or Mortar Platoon have a range number, if you shot direct or indirect fire in board you arrive at double distance that range number printed in counter.

regards

JCC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry Juan Carlos, but I don't see that in the rules and I don't see why a mortar or in board artillery should have double range if firing direct or indirect.
By the way, if the double range applies both at direct and indirect fire, and that there is no other way to fire, why the printed range is not already double that?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
I let Juan Carlos reply but I think the rule makes a lot of sense, as any on-board unit (of any type) is able to fire up to double its fire range. This is why I asked.
The problem is that the rule is not written in the artillery indirect fire sections.
I see the on-board indirect fire as a way to reach a target even if it's not in the artillery LOS and without any reduction in the FF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
samuele wrote:
I let Juan Carlos reply but I think the rule makes a lot of sense, as any on-board unit (of any type) is able to fire up to double its fire range. This is why I asked.
The problem is that the rule is not written in the artillery indirect fire sections.
I see the on-board indirect fire as a way to reach a target even if it's not in the artillery LOS and without any reduction in the FF

Greetings friends,

I'll try to clarify this subject.

Off-board artillery fires with FF defined by "off-board artillery table" (depending on caliber and status full strength/depleted) at any hex in the map that has clear LOS with the officer whose direct the attack.

On-board artillery fires with FF printed at the counter at the range printed at the counter. This is the same for direct and indirect fire. The only difference is for direct fire, the target hex should have clear LOS with artillery platoon counter; but for indirect fire, the target hex should have clear LOS with directing officer. The range is always measured from firing counter in both cases.

On-board artillery are platoons that has to comply the same rules than other platoons types like AFV or troops:

- Standard Rules. Chapter 8. Page 10:
"Maximum range.
Any combat unit can use its entire fire factor against an enemy unit within its range. If the target is farther than their normal range but less then twice the range, they may attack at half-strength. Example: A French infantry unit (FF 5, Range 2) can attack with 5 factors up to two hexes away, and may attack with 3 factors at a range of 3 or 4 hexes.
"

- Standard Rules. Chapter 8.4.4. Page 14:
"Effect of step losses on fire factors.
A full-strength unit, with three steps, has the FF given in the square or squares on its full-strength side. The first step loss suffered by the unit reduces its FF as follows:
- By 1, if its FF is between 1 and 6.
- By 2, if its FF is between 7 and 11.
- By 3, if its FF is between 12 and 15.
- By 4, if its FF is 16 or more.
The second step loss that a unit receives flips it to its reduced side, on which appears a new (and lower) fire factor. The units with intrinsic transport (see 5.5) are not flipped when they receive the second hit. Their new combat value will be half of their combat value, rounded down.
"

Best regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, please clarify just the following case:
On-board indirect fire with a unit of range equal to 4 hexes and FF10. Based on your latest comment the unit is able to fire at up to 4 hexes with FF10 and at up to 8 hexes with FF5 (that is using the very same procedure you use for a generic attack, aside from the LOS from the officer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
samuele wrote:
Thanks, please clarify just the following case:
On-board indirect fire with a unit of range equal to 4 hexes and FF10. Based on your latest comment the unit is able to fire at up to 4 hexes with FF10 and at up to 8 hexes with FF5 (that is using the very same procedure you use for a generic attack, aside from the LOS from the officer)

Greetings Samuele, all is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jose, if you have time, please visit this rules forum as well:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1910440/123-infantry-moveme...

Which movement cost an infantry should use when it enters built-up area? Is there an errata on the movement cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the clarifications.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.