Hide
17 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone had any luck finding a new box/case? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Person Guy
msg tools
I love my Cosmic. Like many others with all the expansions my box was straining under the weight of everything, and after bringing it around to a few meetups every week over the years the wear and tear finally caught up with me. After a truly epic 8 player game on NYE I’m sad to report that one of the corners came apart. This is in addition to other dings and scrapes the box has gone through; as much as I love the original box (and the Tetris-like puzzle every time I tried to get the lid to close) I think it’s officially ready for retirement now that the corner blew out.

I’m curious if anyone else out there has replaced their original FFG box with a new one. I want something more durable then cardboard for my second go around – I have plastic or wood in mind. After looking about I was able to find a few impressive handmade boxes but nothing easily obtainable from a craft store or Amazon. As I lack the tools and space (and the talent!) to make a custom case, I thought I would start asking around to see if anyone had a similar experience or would be willing to share their post-box solution.

Thanks to anyone that has an idea to share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while, I used a 9-liter Really Useful Box which I bought at Office Depot. It got too small after Cosmic Eons, though. I reverted back to the original box, with Broken Token insert, and a few expansion boxes for the odd bits that didn't fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I wonder how much efficiency you might gain by splitting it up into multiple boxes. One just to hold all the alien sheets, one for all the cards (including Rewards, Hazards, Destiny, Tech, etc.) And one for everything else (ships, planets, warp, tokens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had two Cosmic base game boxes. I cut out the bottom of one of them and placed it on top of the bottom of the uncut box. using extra cardboard, i glued walls onto the inside of this double-decker box.
I then filled this box with 3 expansion boxes to organize all of the alien sheets by color, deck boxes with sleeved cards, baggies full of player bits, and the rules etc on top. It's a beast but holds everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to make it all fit in the core box with the Broken Token organizer and a little finesse.

By removing the planet organizer bit you can fit a lot more in that space and the Alien Cards just need a cardboard corner to hold everything in place in transit.

This means the box won't close all the way (about 2cm higher) but this is all available cosmic stuff (regular sized cards sleeved) in the core box:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small plastic crate with a hodge-podge of assorted containers for storing everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep trying to convenience them that the 7th expansion needs to come in a big box to fit everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
I keep trying to convenience them that the 7th expansion needs to come in a big box to fit everything

If FFG ever does a big box expansion, I imagine it would be the final one. I'd love to see an "expansion of expansions" that adds more hazards, more tech, more stations, more stuff that references each other and creates more synergy for the hardcore fans.

Whatever's going on behind the scenes right now, I couldn't say, but it is a quite time in the cosmos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's one of my big disappointments with CE; with the exception of the Rewards Deck, every new module is just left on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Yeah, that's one of my big disappointments with CE; with the exception of the Rewards Deck, every new module is just left on its own.

There's a perfectly rational explanation for that. If expansion #X requires the base game AND expansion #Y, then FFG will sell fewer of expansion #X. It's really that simple. If expansion #Z has a feature that appeared in expansion #Q, then the new one had better be really different.

For example, the rewards deck in Cosmic Dominion offered a bunch of brand new card types. If it had been just more of what had been in Cosmic Incursion, it wouldn't have done as well. Another tech deck or another hazards deck? You'd really have to twist it and make it fairly new. So why not do something totally new to this edition, like moons? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the economics of it. It still disappoints me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Person Guy
msg tools
So, getting back on topic a bit... if anyone out there in BGG land comes after me that is also in the same pickle I wanted to report my progress from today to come up with a new storage solution.

After looking around in the kitchen for a bit I found some small Rubbermaid containers to put ships, score markers, and the special ship marker (Sidenote: thank you for these markers Jeff! We use them in almost every game using homebrew rules) in, as well as a slightly larger container that I threw all of the alien-specific contents into. I still need to find a nice cardbox that I can throw all 424 cards into that has compartmentalization that compliments cosmic well. For alien sheets I found that the 5 x 7 plastic photo boxes that IRIS sells are perfect for storage; each one is an inch thick, giving just enough room for all the alien sheets in one box if you split all the aliens up green/yellow/red. After I find a nice card box I'll find a container everything fits snugly into and upload a few photos.

I would love to see a big box expansion for sure, but I hopefully we can find a solution that works for others in my position. I miss my broken token organizer - I wish my box was in a better condition so that it'd still work, but on the other hand I'm kind of proud that of all the games I have in my collection I've gotten to the point with at least one of them that the box is falling apart. Kind of like having that one well-worn book on the shelf.

In any case, I'll get some pictures put together once I have a final product that I'm proud of. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Person Guy
msg tools
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Another tech deck or another hazards deck? You'd really have to twist it and make it fairly new. So why not do something totally new to this edition, like moons? whistle

I would love to see new tech and stations. We use both (with house rules) frequently in our games. New stuff would be amazing as well; we like our Cosmic chaotic when we play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Person Guy
msg tools
skeletonhat wrote:
I managed to make it all fit in the core box with the Broken Token organizer and a little finesse.

By removing the planet organizer bit you can fit a lot more in that space and the Alien Cards just need a cardboard corner to hold everything in place in transit.

This means the box won't close all the way (about 2cm higher) but this is all available cosmic stuff (regular sized cards sleeved) in the core box:

Lordy I miss my box and my insert. This is a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We stole the idea from the following reddit post, and it's amazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5roe2s/finally_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally was able to find a good solution:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty similar to what I did, although the tub I used is a bit larger (maybe a foot and a half wide, foot long, foot deep).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.