marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
I really enjoy this game but for me and my group wich are usually just four ppl playing it could offer alot more. So i have been working on a variant that lets you play as any of the base houses plus added Tully and Arryn on any player count (3-6). This is very much a work in progress and im, not a seasoned player of the game but i still wanted to give it a shot. i havent tested it yet but i will very soon. I will list the changes i made and also post pictures since im also "pimping" the game with new components at the same time.

Here we go.

The map:

Two added playable houses:
House Arryn and House Tully have a starting area, i also added black boarders wich work just like rivers. one port each close by, changed and/or added seaboarders, gulltown and the twins strongholds and some more areas for Arryn.

The north:
Winterfell is now a stronghold, mainly because i added Deepwood motte. You can no linger cross from winterfell directly to Moat cailin.

Lannisters:
Lannisters now have another stronghold and area close by, Silverhill.

Grey house sigils:
The grey house sigils on the map only marks wich of the seven kingdoms and its warden house each are belongs to, noone has control over these areas at the start of the game and taking control works as normal. I will explain what they are for later on along with the printed number on each of the colored sigils.

im sure im missing something but thats the basics of the map.

Rule changes:
any combination of the eight houses can be randomly selected or picked.
The home areas of the houses that are not in play cant be controlled, ( in a four player game there would be 4 castles/areas that cant be controlled). Players can still occupy these areas but it will cost one power token. ( i might add some rules to this later where other players can object to the action and pay more power tokens to hinder the player wantion to cross an inactive area, this so simulate negotiation with the inactive house.)

Setup:
Instead of having fixed areas for units at the start of the game each player gets one knight and 3 mustering points to spend on other units. these units will be placed as follows. minimum one unit at home base. others can be placed at either the home base or at one land area ajacent to the home base and one sea area adjacent to the home base. so players will have three areas to distribute their troops. Greyjoy and Baratheon may have one sea area between their home base and the second land area. ignore black boarders for arryn and tully for placement of ships.

Instead of houses having a set order on the influence tracks there is a blind auction for each of the tracks, players have ten power tokens to spend and will keep any left over tokens when starting the game. the Troop placenent above is done in order of the iron throne track.

Extra end game scoring:
Each house other then greyjoy will have a "warden token" on their home area. this token is not of any value to the house that it belongs to. but when another player controlls the majority of a kingdom he gets this token and will keep it for as long as he controlls tha majorty of that kingdom. any tokens still in posession at the end of the game counts as 1 castle. The token will return to its house if majority is in any way lost. the numbers on each house sigil represents the number of areas in that kingdom, a player must control more then half this number in order to get the token. Im also thinking that maby endgame will be trigger if any one player manages to control 4 kingdoms.

garrisons:
i will have to play a few times in order to see if strongholds and castles need a set defense value, im thinking that home bases have atleast 2.

This is roughly what i have so far. I would just like to add that i have just played about five or so games so far so i really have no idea what im doing.

Any feedback is more then welcome.

Oh and i will list the components for Arryn and Tully, this variant works without them only that they will always be inactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting proposition. How do you break ties for the initial bid?

Also, there are countless variants out there for this game with modified maps etc. to include more and more houses (the biggest I've seen is 10, but I don't actually lurk here much). I'm also curious, do the black borders between land and sea prevent troops moving through those sea areas? If so I see little reason for Tully or Arryn to want to start with ships in those seas.

Finally, one of the expansions, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – A Feast for Crows, is specifically designed as a 4-player variant. It changes up the rules quite a lot (the objective is no longer to get 10 castles but rather complete a certain number of objective cards which score you "castles"). You may or may not be interested in it. But what is definitely interesting is that it actually introduces house Arryn. You could take a look at it in particular for combat cards and it should be noted the black border isn't deemed necessary in that variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Second highest bidder breaks any ties or if the tie is on the lower end of the track the highest bidder decides the winner.

I have seen plenty of variants that increases player count as you said but im interested in making the 3-6 game more interesting and varied.

As for The Black boarders, troops can not pass them in any way, they sort of represent Mountains, i fel i needed to separate tully, lannister and greyjoy from eachother, Will be very crowded if all three houses are active in the same game, as for arryn they have limited space and are quite exposed without the black boarders. i know that tully does not really benefit much from ships at the start of the game (unless lannister and greyjoy are inactive house that is) but the choice is there. You can spend the three points on ground troops.
Arryn can get easy access to crackclaw point if baratheon stays clear or not controlled by a player.

As for The feast for crows expansion, i own it and intend to use the house Cards,but i did not care so much for The way it played.

Im sure I will make alot of changes after i tried it a few Times. Thanks for your input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've clearly put a lot of thought in and will continue to do so, I'm interested in hearing the results of your play testing. Mostly because I find that playing with any number less than 6 can feel a little stale with the same 3-5 houses used every time. That said, I really don't play this game much anymore (it was one of the first games to get me into the hobby 5 or so years ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.