Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunstarter
A solo game of delivering hydrogen to stars.
By: Caroline Berg

You are a member of an eldritch race of starfarers whose task is to give proto-stars infusions of hydrogen to spark their internal fusion, turning them into stars. You have been given a section of the galaxy to tend with a selection of proto-stars to cultivate. Can you make it to all the proto-stars before your power runs out?

• Number of Players: 1
• Playtime: less than 15 minutes.

Categories aiming for:
• Best Solitaire Game
• Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi)
• Best Written Rules
• Best Artwork

Components:
• 9 Double-sided Cards
• 9 Cubes
• 1 Six-Sided Die

Files:
Cards are located here.
Rules are located here.

This is for the 2018 9-Card Nanogame Print and Play Design Contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Sunstarter {2018 9-Card Nanogame P&P Contest}
Originally I thought of having this as a sci-fi game, but it would be very easy to retheme.

What it is now:

Location: Space | Character: Alien in Spaceship | Places: Proto-stars | Teleporters: Wormholes | Item: Hydrogen

Alternate themes:

Location: Space | Character: Human in Spaceship | Places: Planets | Teleporters: Wormholes | Items: Delivery Crates

Location: Arctic | Character: Seal | Places: Fish Shoals | Teleporters: Whirlpools | Items: Fish

Location: Garden | Character: Rabbit | Places: Carrot Patch | Teleporters: Gopher Holes | Items: Carrots

Granted, in some of the alternates, you are picking up cubes from the places instead of putting them down, but it's basically the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are double sided cards which consist of twenty squares per card. These squares are places the ship (which is represented as a six-sided die) can move. Each square has one of five possible icons on it:

Wormhole: This teleports the character to a wormhole on another card with one of the corresponding letter listed in it. A goes to A, B goes to B, etc...

+1: This adds one to the ship/die allowing the ship to move farther. This happens when you move horizontally between cards.

-1: This removes one from the ship/die, making the ship move less. This happens when you move vertically between cards.

Proto-star: This location needs to have a cube placed on it.

Solar Winds: These show the directions the ship can move on and off of the square.

The player is a six-sided die which starts on the 3 side. This is the amount of fuel you have left. While you travel around the cards you can gain or lose fuel. If the ship reaches 0, you lose the game, as you are dead in space. Your ship cannot have more than 6 fuel.

The point is to place all nine cubes you start with on the nine proto-stars. There is one proto-star on each card.

The scoring is as follows:

1 delivery: 1 point
2 deliveries: 3 points
3 deliveries: 6 points
4 deliveries: 10 points
5 deliveries: 15 points
6 deliveries: 21 points
7 deliveries: 28 points
8 deliveries: 36 points
9 deliveries: 45 points

You lose the game when you have no fuel left, which means reaching a fuel of zero. You also lose if you end up flying back into a star which has a cube on it. Your spaceship has no shielding for sundiving, it only has enough shielding to fly by proto-stars.

You win when you have placed cubes on five or more of the stars.

The idea of the game is to map the best way to reach all 9 proto-stars before you lose all your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome to the contest Caroline
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
You are a member of an eldritch race of starfarers whose task is to give proto-stars infusions of hydrogen to spark their internal fusion, turning them into stars.

WHAT??? surprisesurprise

Omg ..

I'm so going to follow this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

I'm going to try to get some art up for this either tonight or tomorrow night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Caroline, how can I help you with Sunstarter? My spirit of amateur astronomer is at your service ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, I just need to find the time to work on this... which just didn't happen in January. Work has been... interesting to say the least.

I do have a paper prototype all made, I just need to have time to put everything together in Photoshop so that others can test it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caroline, have you ever read Contact by Carl Sagan? there is something that reminds you of the topic you are dealing with in the game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Madden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Subscribed! Super interesting concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
Caroline, have you ever read Contact by Carl Sagan? there is something that reminds you of the topic you are dealing with in the game ...

No, I haven't read that; I tend to read a lot of Sci-Fi.

For non-fiction science I either watch Nova, go to astrophysics lectures open to the public at one of the local colleges, or read articles from the NASA website. My latest topic of personal research was supermassive black holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robert Zemeckis director, he made the film with Jodie Foster ... but the book is different: you can also read the theory of ultra-dimensional civilization that builds quasar clusters (Sagittarius A) to slow down the entropy of the universe ...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, the prototype is done! I playtested it last night and it was crazy with all the wormholes!

I managed to start two proto-stars, before I flew back into one, roasting myself in the process and ending the game. Which means I ended with 3 points.

I also ended with 5 movement, which was impressive.

I am going to tweak things a bit with this next playtest, I'd like it to be a little less crazy than last time, and hopefully this weekend I'll have time to make cards so that other people can play the game. (I'm hoping to playtest it at least five times before the public gets it, to smooth out the more egregious errors in gameplay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second playtest: Final score was again 3 points from 2 proto-stars ignited. Lost the game when my speed reached 0. Fairly fast game.

Might change speed to fuel as it thematically makes more sense, and remove the movement restriction, as it adds nothing, and is more fun if you just keep going without breaks.

Reminder: write up rules with illustrations of how to start moving through the grid of cards, and about how to chose what direction when the path forks.

Third playtest: Final score was 6 points from 3 proto-stars ignited. Lost the game when my fuel reached 0.

Fourth playtest: Final score was 21 points from 6 proto-stars ignited! Lost the game when my fuel reached 0. I'm getting better!

While crazy, I'm going to keep the wrapping (if you go off the edge, you wrap around to the other edge - it will make more sense once you see what the cards look like).

Fifth playtest: Final score was 15 points from 5 proto-stars ignited! Things are going smoother - will have to make sure the letters for the wormholes are nice and big so they are easy to spot.

It's a fairly fast game, less than 15 minutes, though part of how long it takes it finding the matching wormhole to teleport to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued and look forward to learning more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sims
United States
Hillsboro
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following for later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on the cards today, and hope to have the cards and rules done tomorrow (since it is a holiday, so I can get some decent work on them!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished half the cards yesterday, and then enjoyed a walk in the sun, since sunlight is fairly rare here.

I plan on finishing the cards tomorrow. Hopefully the rules will also be done tomorrow.

I'm also working on making clear illustrations for the major parts of gameplay:

How to lay out the cards (3x3 grid)
Where to start (topmost left square on the topmost left card)
How to move through wormholes (whatever side you enter the wormhole, you exit the matching wormhole on the opposite side - so enter on the left you leave the other on the right; enter on the top you leave the other on the bottom, etc...)
How to move when your path goes beyond the edge of the card (loop back to the same row on the opposite side of the row of cards - like the old Maelstrom game when you exit on one side of the screen you appear on the other side)
When you gain/lose fuel (happens when moving between cards - but not when moving through wormholes. Going horizontally between cards adds 1 fuel, going vertically between cards loses 1 fuel.)
How to chose what path to take when it branches (your choice!)
How to tell when a branched path doesn't give you options you can take (if the curve to a new path happens in a direction opposite the one you are moving, you cannot change to that path)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to play this! Sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I have your game all ready to print out while I'm here at work... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, logo and cards are done!

The cards are located here.

All that is left is the rules, which I'm hoping to have finished sometime on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixth playtest: Wow, this looks nice with the finished art! Way easier to follow the paths/find the matching wormholes when it isn't scribbled on post-it notes! I managed to get 7 proto-stars started, a personal best! For a total of 28 points. Then I flew back into a star and burned up. I managed to end with the same fuel as I started - so at 3.

I also managed to finish 2/3rds of making the rules look nice last night. I plan on finishing the final 1/3rd Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are done! This is now components ready!

Rules can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.