I have played games 1 to 6 with my family

It is a great family game, but we have found it a bit to easy to beat

I have the following suggestion for balancing the difficulty:

When revealing a Villain (included during game setup) with:
- 5 health, add 2 control tokens to location
- 6 health, add 1 control token to location
- 8 health, remove 1 control token from location
- 9 health, remove 2 control tokens from location

When adding/removing control tokens as result of revealing Villains, the following additional rules apply:
- no effects are triggered as a results of adding/removing the control tokens
- if a control token cannot be removed, add an upside down contol token to the location. Later, when a control token would be added, remove the upside down control token instead.

I have tried these variant rules with four players twice with game 1 resulting in one loss and one victory. I also played game 3 half way through with four players and found it more challenging. The first location was lost in early midgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Balance difficulty with control tokens basen on Villian health
Interesting, but I see the early games as tutorials more than something that needs balanced. Barring new players, year seven is the only version I've played repeatedly (before adding the expansion).

I do think adding *and removing* tokens based on villains that comes out is potentially a clever balancing mechanism, making a tough initial combination not as bad through the negative tokens, while making an easy initial setup more difficult to stay on the first location. Let me know how well this works out for you on year seven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.