7 Posts

Tao Long: The Way of the Dragon» Forums » Rules

Subject: solo variant questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danner

Oregon
msg tools
I have to admit I'm really confused on a number of points regarding the solo variant (and I'm only playing in grasshopper mode). I checked the holistic summary, but I don't think it touched on my questions. For instance, if the head of the dragon you're playing is vertical, and the opposing dragon's head is horizontal, which stones on the bagua do you select? Either way, one player may not be able to move. Do you always choose in favor of the opposing dragon's movement?

Also,stacks of stones on the bagua frequently wind up containing no stones of the opposing dragon's color. Is it permissible to use these stacks to your advantage when other stacks DO contain the opposing dragon's color? This, of course, would mean the opposing dragon might not move for a number of turns.

In the rulebook it states that in the solo variant "it's always your turn." I assume this means you do not alternate turns between yourself and the opposing dragon. Is this correct?

I would find an English-speaking solo variant video really helpful.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost, playing solo mode uses the same general rules as playing 2 player.

When selecting a stack of stones in the spirit phase, you can select any stack you want (as long as it results in a legal move for you).
You can pick up a stack of all white, or all black, or a mix of any.
Just as in two player, you only perform the action of the final stone placement, the enemy dragon will do actions based on his color stone placements.
If they're all your colors, the enemy dragon won't move, you do the action of the final stone placed.
If they're all the enemy colors, the enemy dragon will do every action a stone is placed on (including the last stone). And you do the action of the final stone placed as normal.

And yes, you are the only one taking turns. Each turn you pick a stack and do the action of the final stone. The enemy AI's 'turns' will be the action that their color stones land on.

I hope this helps a bit. I can get more specific if needed. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and I worked the solo version into the holistic summary, but if you are fundamentally confused about it, it may not help… unless you read it really literally, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kronecker Delta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At some point, you will have to use the AI's bagua stones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KroneckerDelta wrote:
At some point, you will have to use the AI's bagua stones...
laugh True, although I was surprised how long I could keep them buried and/or drop them only on invalid moves. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kronecker Delta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you wish, you can up the game level by doing the Monk mode. That forces you to do some particular moves that otherwise you might have avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can keep him locked down for a good amount of time, either by not moving his stones, or by making invalid moves for him. But this makes for a longer game.

Truly do well against the enemy dragon, you have to defeat him as fast as you can. Use the BaGua to move yourself closer to his side, and him closer to your side, to get that fight going, then defeat him as soon as you can! Quicker the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.