Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spanish Road event use conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Quinn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spanish Road reads:

"Add 1 regular in Milan. Move a leader from any space to Milan if desired. The Spanish player then moves a formation from Milan using the rules for spring deployment. Spaces under independent control (and spaces controlled by inactive HRE in a game with fewer than 6 players) can also be used in this path, however no space entered can contain enemy units. The path may freely cross one pass but it may not cross any sea zones."

Are there any conditions under which Spain is prevented from using the Spanish Road home card for the event? Some examples that might apply:

-Can it be used for the event if an enemy army is besieging a Spanish force in Milan in order to place a regular and leader there (forgoing the formation move)?
-Can it be used for the event to place an enemy controlled empty Milan under siege (forgoing the formation move)?
-Can it be used for the event if Milan is under Spanish political control but in unrest (either with or without the formation move)?

If the formation move portion of the card is mandatory, can it still be used for the event if Milan is under siege or enemy controlled, with the move happening despite these conditions?

Is it implied that the phrase "If Milan is under Spanish control and not in unrest." is a pre-condition of using this event?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nestor
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
For your first two questions, I would opine that the answer is definitely no. The third question is slightly less clear but I would also answer, no. To your last statement I would add the phrase "and not under siege".

Ed has previously ruled that cards that add units to spaces may not be used to place units in fortified spaces under siege or to spaces in unrest unless the card explicitly states that exception (e.g. Il Piccolo Soccorso).

If the formation move is not used, it is rather silly to use a 5 CP card to add 1 regular to a space when one could just use the CPs to build even more units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
In this thread Ed confirms that you can SD from a capital in unrest:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13196237#13196237

So from that, I would say "yes" to the third question. The first part of Spanish Road would then be ignored (no adding units to spaces in unrest), but the SD of a formation would be possible.

Since arriving leaders can be placed in spaces with unrest and leaders can return in winter to a capital in unrest, I would say you can also move a leader to Milan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Quinn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I would agree that if Milan is enemy controlled that this event could not be used. If Spain can use it with Milan in unrest is still unclear, I can see both sides presented here as being a possible ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.