Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I read about this game on the GMT website, the examples of different situations, different tactics, different procedures and rules, the more I think this game is very likely to be excellent. I recently read Eugene Rogan's excellent 'Fall of the Ottomans'. Reading about the terrible Gallipoli campaign has whetted my appetite for this game which seems to capture the intricate, messy, diverse, and high intensity combat that took place.

I don't mind intricate games, I've played them on and off for decades, but the only draw back for me I don't have a wargaming partner who can devote the time (or any time these days!) to such a detailed game. And the drawback lies in the fact the game requires written orders for formations to define their attacks, defence, and movement, etc.

I'd love to add this game to my pre-order list but as I'd be playing it solo I don't see how I can overcome the written orders requirement. I'm really hoping the future me says damn the torpedoes and buys it anyway, but it's a lot of money to have it sit unplayed on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem here also. Just not many [if any] wargamers about. But I do love the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
VASSAL, VASSAL, and more VASSAL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Phipps
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, speaking as the designer I am naturally biased :-)

One caveat is that I have not played the large scenarios solitaire. I played the small ones solitaire repeatedly to check the combat & movement models. However, I have played TCS solitaire, which has written orders.

When playing solitaire, written orders won't be secret, but when i am playing solitaire any unwritten plans in other game designs aren't secret either.

That last sentence is key. The point of written orders is not to make player A's plan more secret than they would be in a game without written orders. They are equally secret in both games. The point is to slow the reaction time of player B's army to a historically realistic level.

Playing solitaire TCS I liked written orders because they "kept me honest" about what one half of my brain could possibly know. The same is true in Gallipoli - I've lost whole regiments because they refused to react in time :-(

So (being completely unbiased here!) don't the written orders stop you from ordering it if you mostly play solitaire.

Go on, be tempted :-)

Cheers

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it on preorder (has been for a VERY long time). I’ll be playing it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
VASSAL, VASSAL, and more VASSAL.

yuk thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate vassal, not interested at this time anyway. But from the designer's comments above I'm feeling ever more tempted. Whilst playing the game solitaire isn't as satisfying as playing against an opponent, this is such an interesting bloody bogged down battle to study that I think the game would be worth the investment.

The examples of play really do show it as full of horror and close quarters carnage that typified this protracted and sluggish campaign where every metre was hard fought for, and losses on both sides so high.

I am ever more tempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foochaba
United States
flag msg tools
badge
What did you do Ray?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone ahead and pre-ordered. I figured me and my brother can have this as an ongoing game. We used to PBM before there was email so I think I can make this work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.