BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Stonemaier Games Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark None
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dear all,

Today i joined your board to become acquainted with a whole new level of playing boardgames. I'm looking for a boardgame to play alone most of the times. I have played agricola before but played it this much that it's time for a new game.

As i started searching for these typical boardgames i found out that the automa term is commonly used when searching for solo boardgames.

During my search i was being dragged to the website of Stonemaiergames. Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as i can understand, Stonemaiergames is one of the brands that introduced automa, created it and used it on their boardgames and yet making it a sort of a standard.

Now i'm one of those consumers that can be persuaded to buy something only based on the looks. That being said, i love the design and overall feel of the website from stonemaiergames.

So now the real problem. I have scoped two games: Scythe and Charterstone. Again based on the design, charterstone is the way to go for me but as it is, i've never played a legacy boardgame ever.

The legacy gameplay sounds nice but i guess it's not a great start as a newbie solo player. Scythe is my second option, only thing about scythe is that it looks quite difficult.

What i'm hoping to achieve right now is that somebody could point me in the right direction. What decision is probably the best for me right now. Is it wise to start with Charterstone, Seems less difficult compared to Scythe or Skip Legacy games as a solo player or Look beyond Stonemaiersgames because this brand is not advised for the less advanced board game geeks?

regards,

Wizardoone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check into Viticulture Essential Edition.Has a very good solo mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Boyd
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment on Charterstone as I have not played it, but I have played Scythe about 10 times (9 times solo) and I absolutely love it.

I haven't played very many complex games (Agricola probably being the heaviest) but I don't think Scythe is very complicated at all. It seems like there is a lot going on at first, but once you get going the turns go by pretty quickly and it feels a lot easier to learn than Agricola.

I really enjoy the Automa included in the game and feel like it simulates a player pretty well. It does take a bit to fully understand the automa movement system and the symbols on the Automa cards and I did have both rulebooks open for my first two games. After that I found I was only occasionally checking back at the rules for certain situations.

If you like Agricola, you will probably also enjoy Viticulture by Stonemaier games. I have only recently played this game, but it includes an automa deck as well. It is a worker placement game like Agricola, but I feel like it is different enough that I enjoy having both. If you are interested in Viticulture I would recommend going with the Essential Edition.

Overall if I was in your situation, I would go with Scythe. I think it provides more of a different experience from Agricola and plays very well both solo and with other players. I am very interested in Charterstone, but haven't picked it up because I feel like if I play it solo I will miss out on enjoying the experience with other players.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Another game that I have been enjoying solo and has very pretty artwork is Lewis and Clark. Not by Stonemaier, but it's a little bit of a cross between deckbuilding and worker placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having started with Agricola Family Edition for solo play, I have moved on to Viticulture Essential Edition and have been enjoying it on a solo front. In fact, I don't think I've got it to the tablet with anyone else yet!

I eagerly await Scythe...it's on the way!

I also sat down to try out Le Havre as a solo game last night, but was knackered so had to pack it away! Will plan again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
branden price
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have played agricola, then Scythe will not be an issue for you. We have spent many nights playing scythe and my whole family loves it. I have played solo quite a few times and I enjoy it.

I have not played charterstone yet but it is on the way, and I have watched a few videos online and I am quite interested in it. I don't think you will go wrong with either game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark None
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the fast response. I think i'll start with Scythe as i found out that this one already has an expansion and charterstone not.

Lewis and clark indeed seems nice. I'll have to add that one to my list.

When i have played my first game i'll update you on my thoughts.

thanks,

Wizardoone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to tag and peruse this list at some point, you might find something in there that you will enjoy.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49479/soloplay-variants-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark None
Netherlands
flag msg tools
@Dan Ridge: thanks for the notion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.