Terraforming Mars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Starting corp/cards poll picks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone was wondering about hand selection in another topic and iI decided to create a poll based on card draws for a PBF game (and move the discussion to strategy)

Assume a 4p game using the base map with draft each generation

check the card list if you dont recognize the names

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1900813/terraforming-mars-c...

Poll
What cards and corp would you pick?
  Mining guild Helion
Corp
133 symbiotic fungus
139 wave power
117 geothermal power
87 grass
38 rover construction
158 industrial microbes
109 media group
120 urbanized area
107 media archives
68 sponsors
      52 answers
Poll created by Songok

Poll
1. What corp/cards would you pick.
Assume a 4p game in the base map
  InterplanetaryCinematics Credicor
Corporation
53 Lake Marineris
60 Trees
77 Solar Wind Power
99 Toll Station
104 Ore Processor
150 Anti-Gravity Technology
152 Insulation
159 Lichen
165 Magnetic Field Generators
201 Energy Tapping
2. What corp/cards would you pick.
  TharsisRepublic Teractor
Corporation
27 interstallar colony ship
125 hackers
46 lightning harvest
33 regolith eaters
160 power supply consortium
88 heather
194 power infrastructor
62 mineral deposit
192 invention contest
182 corporate stronghold
3. What corp/cards would you pick.
  UNMI PhobLog
Corporation
162 imported GHG
55 kelp farming
195 indentured worker
37 nitrogen rich asteroid
66 land claim
178 heat trappers
96 green houses
24 predators
164 micro mills
167 import of advance ghg
4. What corp/cards would you pick.
  Ecoline Thorgate
Corporation
156 standard technology
119 dust seals
21 phobos haven
205 rad chem factory
149 CEO's favorite project
91 gene repair
111 business contacts
59 mangrove
11 big asteroid
72 birds
      28 answers
Poll created by Songok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll might be better structured into triple the number:

d10-1 With this draw, which corp would you choose?
d10-2If you chose corp A, would you keep or ditch each of these cards?
d10-3If you chose corp B, would you keep or ditch each of these cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
My picks. I put some cards between parenthesis to denote they are not that great of a pick but I might consider it.

FIRST HAND

Mining Guild
Sponsors
Media Group
Geothermal Power
(Rover Construction)

This is a poor hand, I would try to draw cards ASAP. I think Mining Guild is both a better Corp and better suited to this hand than Hellion.

There's no reason not to take Sponsors turn 1 as any Corporation. Media Group is the best repeateble card draw because it's cheap and you welcome it because you want to draw as many buildings and special tiles and you can.

SECOND HAND

Credicor

Toll Station
Solar Wind Power

This is another terrible hand. You have a bunch of high-enery cards that you cannot play, a bunch of high requirement cards that you cannot play and wouldn't be great if you could. I would keep the money and play a city, lakes or forests.

You can try to keep Solar Wind Power, Energy Tapping and Ore Processor and go for that, but it's very unreliable and won't pay off fast enough.

Toll Station Solar Wind Power are a bit of a luxury, but I would rather keep a couple cards on my sleeve than to start without any. They are realiable cards, so it's not like you take a big risk by taking them.

THIRD HAND

R. Tharsis

Corporate Stronghold
Mineral Deposit
Regolith Eaters
Invention Contest

There are some solid cards here but simply being able to play Corporate Stronghold turn 1 is enough to start a smooth game. With it and your initial city you get +5 income per turn which is great.

Mineral Deposit is a +2 credit gain, no reason not to take it. Invention Contest is the best draw card in the game because it digs deep and is cheap. There are a lot of cards that you would like to find, too (Power Plants, money cards, cities, terraforming events, mines) and you don't need the money right now so I'll keep it.

Regolith Eaters are great, no need not to keep them if we can afford them.

Fun hand!

FOURTH HAND

UNMI

Nitrogen-Rich Asteroid
Indentured Workers
Imported GHG
Import of Advanced GHG

The only card that can kickstart your economy here is the fantastic Nitroge-Rich Asteroid. If you take Indentured Workers you can buy both of the GHG cards.

The reason I take UNMI instead of Phoblog is that UNMI is assured to work. Think about the second and third turns. At worst, UNMI can play a lake and use its ability and not have a bad turn. Phoblog, even if it has more "money" is much more reliant on drawing proper cards.

FIFTH HAND

Thorgate

STANDARD TECHNOLOGY
Rad Chem Factory
Bussiness Contracts
Big Asteroid

Standard Technology is the best card in the game and Thorgate is one of the Corporations that abuses it the best. Raising power for 5 credits is just so cheap that you can use it as if it were heat production.

Better yet, you start with Rad Chem Factory and an Asteroid to kickstart your economy on the first two turns.

Bussiness Contracts is expensive but it can find you an use for your energy ASAP and you can spare the cash.

This is another fun hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting results!

A few odd choices though:

Hand 3 - Why go with Regolith Eaters and not Heather as Tharsis? You want as many greeneries on the board as possible for your cities, not compete with them for oxygen.

Hand 5 - Thorgate + Standard Technology rocks! But why would you take the Big Asteroid when it is much better to just raise the energy production 6 times instead and get the temerature up anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Starting corp/cards poll pick
With tharsis i would skip regolith. Anything to prevent other players going for a plant strategy
But i would also skip the 1 plant production.. Without anything else i feel it is too slow/asteroid target

With thorgate would skip the asteroid too and hope to find 1/2 good cards to spend my €€ and if not, just raise energy for 5 as much as possible (and hope for no helion

Not sute about mining guild.. But i guess we could go for oceans

Ps: media group is 3€ back per event, not card draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Interesting results!

A few odd choices though:

Hand 3 - Why go with Regolith Eaters and not Heather as Tharsis? You want as many greeneries on the board as possible for your cities, not compete with them for oxygen.

Hand 5 - Thorgate + Standard Technology rocks! But why would you take the Big Asteroid when it is much better to just raise the energy production 6 times instead and get the temerature up anyway?

Hand 3:
Because a single plant production is pretty much worthless. It takes too long to build up and gives the opponents to much time to get artillery, which they will use, when it is most efficient. You most likely will not get a greenery until late game. It is also to inefficient to play plant production in the beginning. Too expensive for to little profit. Regolith eaters can only be attacked by ants and not until 4%. It is a reliable card. Also: Science Tag.

Hand 5:
Because raising your energy six times will cost 30 (plus St. Tech)
Playing the big asteroid cost 15, kills the plants of Ecoline should it be in play and allows you most likely to RKO one of those bonus heat productions from out of nowhere. If you have production opponents can that and take it into their considerations.
So simply take BOTH cards. But the standard tech for energy production on demand (not to boost energy like heel) and equally important for the cheap science tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW: those where some crappy starting hands. Initial draft FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lets try to keep this for the votes, but yes, some of the hands are really crappy

drafting has its issues, but maybe 3 of you want to play the draft variant with me, I proposed it here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27877190#27877190

if you do please comment on that post and we can have a go at it and see how it ends up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Fryxen wrote:

Early-game, low-plant production is not useful. It will get destroyed by asteroids so you won't get a forest out of your plants until, say, Generation 10. Personally, I think all cards that increase your plant production by just 1 are expensive and fairly weak.

Regolith Eaters gives you money and points and it gives them at a decent rate. They are going to be filled anyways, better do it yourself rather than let your opponents do it.

I don't think raising oxygen a bit on your own will impact the number of good greeneries for your cities. I've found you shouldn't build that many as R Tharsis, they don't give you points on their own.

Quote:

Big Asteroid can be played on turn two and has an effective cost of 18 if you use the Titanium, which you will. You also have it easy to get one of the heat bonuses for free which, in practice, is another TR.

Spending credits on energy will be slow. Imagine we spend 20 credits on energy production (+4).

Turn 1: No energy
Turn 2: 4 Energy, no heat
Turn 3: 4 Energy, 4 heat
Turn 4: 4 Energy, 8 Heat = 1 TR
Turn 5: 4 Energy, 4 Heat
Turn 6: 4 Energy, 8 Heat = 2 TR

In other words, it will take 6 turns for us to get the same investment as if we had used the Asteroid. But wait! The asteroid will make us 10 credits with its TR gain while the Energy would just cover for the two extra credits we spent compared to the asteroid.

The Energy gain will keep generating TR for us, but it can't compete. It will generate another TR 8 Turns later...but so would the Asteroid if you managed to get one of the heat bonuses. So you won't actually see any difference in TR until turn 10, when the game is almost over, and if you had invested the 10 credits you got from the Asteroid,c hances are you could have gotten more than 14 credits, which is what it costs to raise temperature again.

Songok wrote:
Ps: media group is 3€ back per event, not card draw

Oooh, nice catch. Still, I would take it. Very versatile card, will pay for itself for sure and make other cards more playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Early-game, low-plant production is not useful.

Sure, but you gotta start somewhere. Besides, Heather is more of a midgame card with the temp requirement; there's a decent chance a bunch of asteroid cards are already out by the time it gets played. Me, I'd keep both Heather and Regolith Eaters. R.Eaters are reliable, and a nice failsafe in case my plant production doesn't get off the ground as much as I'd like. (I would've skipped Invention Contest probably.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this poll is not particularly enticing. Like, I see what you are doing, but the poll would be a lot more worthwhile if it was like:

"You have these 10 cards [name 10 cards]. Which corp would you select [name 2 corps]"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the point of the poll is not only to find what corp players would pick, but also what cards would go with that corp

it could be done with 3 questions, like sugested earlier by Sam, but this way it works too (i didnt know how the % would shot up, i guess it would be nicer if it added vertically but meh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.