Greg ivan
msg tools
I'm not asking to be difficult I'm legit asking because I don't understand how it would effect gameplay.

Is there a restriction for the recruitment cards?

I get why we ditch the old tactic cards.

I feel like I should be able to use everything I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg ivan
msg tools
I mean the cards we assign leaders to, not the Rebel I, II, III cards.

Sorry I'm new

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm thinking about doing this. But with the variant of draw 3, keep 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would be that not all mission cards are created equal. Some are great, some less so, some situational. By simply adding both together you're increasing the variance in your deck if you play with just drawing 2 - it may be that you have 2 turns of drawing 2 great missions. But it might also be the case you have 2 turns of terrible missions (or just ones that aren't good for the current situation).

With the variant of drawing 3 and keeping 2, I worry that you will end up with too much control over the variance, obviously only ever keeping the best 2.

I don't know though, as I don't own the expansion and only recently started playing the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerret Malone
msg tools
The RotE rules do encourage you to build your own custom deck. I loved the Carbonite freezing mission from the original! That being said, there is a military difference for the rebels' decks. The original was centered around more on removing Imperial pieces off the board, and the new is based more on adding Rebel pieces. If you mixed them all together, nailing down a strategy would be even more difficult. I haven't played enough as the Empire to realize the main difference for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nginear wrote:
The RotE rules do encourage you to build your own custom deck.

Do they? I thought the only deck choice was in choosing between the two full decks? Maybe I missed something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Nginear wrote:
The RotE rules do encourage you to build your own custom deck.

Do they? I thought the only deck choice was in choosing between the two full decks? Maybe I missed something.

There is no custom deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is, as somebody already said, the cards are not balanced (or more generously, not strategically harmonious).

FFG games are already randomized fairly heavily during setup and a lot is up to the luck of the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, we just mashed them in together and I didn't notice any problems. We have played twice this way. Personally I cant stand convoluted and time consuming setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played with mixed decks in a couple of games now.

More or less each card in the new deck has an equivalent in the old one, and in most cases there are 2 copies of each.
We use 1 of each, and draw 1 of 2 randomly for the 3 symbols cards.
For example you get either We're the bait or Homing beacon, etc.
So the decks aren't becoming more powerful, however they are becoming almost the same deck every game, but with more card variance.
It is true you cannot count on a Hit and Run to pop up, but overall I don't think the level of the deck has decreased/increased.

this is a variant tho.
According tot eh rules they say you should play with new or old cards (always including all the face card). I am sure they have play-tested it, and they probably have good reasons, but they are not clear to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this depends a lot on how many cards do players go through anyway in their regular plays?

Because if already in the original deck you don't go through entire deck every game, then shuffling everything does not make situation much worse. A little more chaotic perhaps, but not enough to bother unless you know every single card by heart and rely on it showing up a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game seems balanced around both sides drawing about half of their mission deck, and about half of that deck is made up of the leaders' special missions. Adding 14 more generic missions reduces the probability of any given leader mission being played in a game. I'm not certain that this imbalances things greatly toward one side or the other, but it has to alter the game somehow.

It also affects the game's balance of luck vs skill*, as adding more missions to the decks makes it harder for both sides to plan ahead strategically. One example, in my last game when the Raid Outposts objective came up, it was very important for me as the Imperials to know whether the Rebels had Hidden Fleet or Behind Enemy Lines in their deck. That one difference between decks decided where I placed the target markers and how I went about defending them.

*(it's purely subjective, of course, exactly how big a factor luck and hidden information should be, but I'm of the opinion that this game gets it just right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make your draws less predictable, reducing your ability to strategize. It would also increase the chance of you never drawing a particular mission or type of mission, e.g. rescues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, having twice the number of non-Leader mission cards would dilute those Leader mission cards, making it that much less likely that you'll get the mission suited to your recruited leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does this integrate with the base game? It looks like there are 4 new leaders for each side, but the previous game had 8 + the starting 4. Do you keep half of the old recruited leaders plus the new? How is that determined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4ndrz wrote:
So how does this integrate with the base game? It looks like there are 4 new leaders for each side, but the previous game had 8 + the starting 4. Do you keep half of the old recruited leaders plus the new? How is that determined?

You still start with the same 4 leaders. Each side has a starting action card which might let them start with an extra leader, too (Admiral Motti for Empire, Saw Guirerra for Rebels). The other leaders just come into play via regular recruiting (and Motti and Saw can come into play via recruiting as well, not just starting draw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4ndrz wrote:

What do you mean? You didn't get to use all the leaders in the base game. You only got to recruit a leader on the designated turns, ending up with a total of 8 including the 4 starters, usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Young
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
What do you mean? You didn't get to use all the leaders in the base game. You only got to recruit a leader on the designated turns, ending up with a total of 8 including the 4 starters, usually.

I phrased my question really poorly. What I am asking is, do we now pull from a pool of 12 recruitable leaders instead of 8, and how does this work with mission cards? Assuming the standard mission cards are replaced by expansion mission cards--of you so choose--and knowing that mission cards can relate to specific leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't just replace ALL mission cards. You will always use all the mission cards with a Leader icon on it, as well as either all cards with a Darth Vader symbol or without any symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG really needs to stop making their expansions require card/deck separation and management during setup. It's very tedious to setup their expansion games like this (Rebellion, Runebound, Battlelore 2e, etc..).

Poor design. They should have a design requirement that any new components, mainly cards, are simply added into the existing decks. This could have been done for the Rebellion expansion, but they way they implemented it prevents it without affecting draw ratios. Not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
FFG really needs to stop making their expansions require card/deck separation and management during setup. It's very tedious to setup their expansion games like this (Rebellion, Runebound, Battlelore 2e, etc..).

Poor design. They should have a design requirement that any new components, mainly cards, are simply added into the existing decks. This could have been done for the Rebellion expansion, but they way they implemented it prevents it without affecting draw ratios. Not good.

I'm not sure how they could have just said "add it all together to make one huge mega-pile" without affecting draw ratios (which is an important thing to avoid affecting).

It's not THAT big a deal to separate them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ghorro wrote:

I'm not sure how they could have just said "add it all together to make one huge mega-pile" without affecting draw ratios (which is an important thing to avoid affecting).

Without spending the time to formulate a proper design, couldn't they have just keep the ratio of leader cards to non-leader cards the same? That's a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ghorro wrote:

Without spending the time to formulate a proper design, couldn't they have just keep the ratio of leader cards to non-leader cards the same? That's a start.

There is exactly one leader card per leader. To do that, they'd have to make more than one leader card per leader, which could have a bigger impact on the game. Even if it's two copies of the SAME card, that means you potentially can get both, and for some of the cards that could be EXTREMELY powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg ivan
msg tools
?: if there twice as many cards with the expansion, then why not change it to draw 4 keep 2?

?2: do we add all the tiny leader recruit cards together? If not, couldn't you do the same, just draw more to compensate, but still choose 1.

It seems the issue is primarily too many cards, therefore why not just increase the dive speed on the deck to coincide with it?

Ultimately I feel like I would want to "see" everything as I played and develop my strategy around what I got.

Yes I know it should be the reverse strategically speaking, know what you want to do and only keep/play those cards, but I like (personally) the idea of being flexible and having as many choices as I've paid for while avoiding even more setup/teardown time.

If the argument is well there is no guarantee you'd see who/what you were looking for, well, ya, I alreadt felt that way w/o the expansion, I wasn't waiting for the necessary draw before I made my decision anyway.

Am I off here? I mean you already know how each decks play differently stylistically so you could still cater your draws if you wanted to, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathyr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the above posts, I think the summary is that you can put all the cards together into one deck. That’s not the designer’s intent and has not been balanced or play tested for that variant, but you certainly can. Just accept that you’re in uncharted waters when you do so and house-rules may be necessary. Assuming you are good with that, then go for it and post your variant in the variants forum once you think you have your house rules nailed down so others can try it out. That’s one of the great things about board games with cool compentnants; nothing stops us from trying to create other fun experiences uses them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.