Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I saw someone post a cute fox picture on facebook

and I was like wait a minute...

It seems the fox in this game was based off a photograph of Juniper a domesticated fox!
(source: https://www.instagram.com/p/-zU0WOhG-l/)

Kind of a random post, I know, but I thought it was funny. It's not every day you recognize something from a boardgame in a random cute animal picture on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the photo properly credited and/or licensed for the game? I hate to assume the worst, but improperly valuing photography is an epidemic these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, I heart Juniper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Was the photo properly credited and/or licensed for the game? I hate to assume the worst, but improperly valuing photography is an epidemic these days.

It's possible that the license terms are such that no credit is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Right, hence the "and/or." Considering how said fox is monetized and merchandized, it'd be pretty surprising if the photo were CC0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Stomski wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Right, hence the "and/or." Considering how said fox is monetized and merchandized, it'd be pretty surprising if the photo were CC0.

Damn that fox is popular...
Makes me wonder, why is that fox living indoors, as if it's a dog?
That's another discussion, I know.

I just checked the booklet of Indian Summer, and no credits are mentioned. The 'Special Thanks' people don't seem to be related to Juniper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsaar wrote:
tumorous wrote:
Stomski wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Damn that fox is popular...
Makes me wonder, why is that fox living indoors, as if it's a dog?
That's another discussion, I know.

I just checked the booklet of Indian Summer, and no credits are mentioned. The 'Special Thanks' people don't seem to be related to Juniper.
Domesticated foxes are descended from animals that were originally bred for their fur and have lost many of their natural instincts. Due to this breeding, they also have some dog-like behaviors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

I figured either way it wouldn't hurt to let people on here know about the instagram account since I didn't see any reference to it otherwise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The fox in Indian Summer is drawn, isn't it? I don't think that a license is needed for a drawing of a photo as the drawing is new artwork by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:

The fox in Indian Summer is drawn, isn't it? I don't think that a license is needed for a drawing of a photo as the drawing is new artwork by itself.

This kind of art is known as "derivative" in copyright law, and typically the same protections apply.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:

Yes, it is needed if it is nearly an exact copy of the original. Yes you can make a drawing of a photo, but if it is exactly the same as the original and easily referring the original (as this thread here shows), then it would need a permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
tumorous wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:

This kind of art is known as "derivative" in copyright law, and typically the same protections apply.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

And note this passage under the originality requirement section:
Quote:
For copyright protection to attach to a later, allegedly derivative work, it must display some originality of its own. It cannot be a rote, uncreative variation on the earlier, underlying work.

Though this instance is highly unlikely to ever be tested, it would almost certainly fail that originality requirement if it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.