Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just purchased 2nd Edition of this game. Now, I saw some reviews for 4th edition and see it listed for 4 times the price as what I paid today for a used copy. I appreciate that things get refined over time. Are the differences between the versions of the game merely cosmetic or is there value in putting 4th edition on my "wish list"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is enough difference to make it annoying to some that the two versions have a single BGG entry. Cosmetic differences, yes... the labels, a matter of taste. More substantial differences - those too... the number of blocks, fewest in ed 2, too many (?) in ed 3 and, some think, just right in ed 4. Also, ed 4 has command unit pieces and a modified battle module (including terrain blocks).

Having played both and purchased ed 4, I think ed 2 represents good value for a very good game. I don’t think the changes are worth the extra money, and not worth buying a copy of ed 4 as well. Nonetheless, ed 4 is just as enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response. I am convinced not to purchase 4th Edition unless I find a deal. The Terrain Blocks seem like a good edition to the game adding replay-ability. Any feedback on what those actually bring to the experience and tactical decision making? How many different types of terrain are there? Is they a component that can be "modded" easily? I have extra blocks from my C&CN game that I could adapt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrain blocks do make the battles even more of a mini-wargame and the rules give a nod in the direction of defender advantage in choosing ground.

You could probably improv the ed 4 battle mode. Try finding the ed 4 rules and see what you think. I suspect you’d need to adopt the ed 4 battle mat format too, as that is slightly different (a simple thing to do). I found a picture of the terrain blocks here... https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1837002/napoleon-waterloo-ca...

And the battle board can be seen here...

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1988941
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
louiethetoad

Forest Lake
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
On the Columbia website you can download a free pdf of the 4th edition rules.
I use the terrain blocks only to draw from to determine which terrain will be in use. Then I place corresponding cut out felt pieces on the Battleboard : green for woods, brown for hills, red for farm house, and a blue strip for stream etc. Immediately identifies the terrain and the units that are in it. Makes a nice visual. Keeps the green blocks off the the Battleboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy C
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just played second edition last night. What a great game!

I haven't played 4th, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents that the old '77 AH second edition still makes for a nail-bitingly great game where you spend your time agonizing over every strategic decision; only to finish your move and watch your opponent agonize over his strategic decisions

2nd Ed. is one of the best board-games ever made ( that's a mighty claim for me to make, but) it captures the essence of the Waterloo campaign, AND the rules are simple enough you can read them in a few minutes and just start playing. (not many war-games these days can make that claim).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.