Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I browsed through the database for a bit and can't believe I'm not really finding something that fits my criteria. I must be just to dumb or blind, please help me.

My idea is to cobble together a Rugby-themed dice game. And I'm looking for inspiration. Here are some first ideas for my game. If you know anything like it, pls let me know.

E 2 players
E Not much more than dice (no boards, cards, etc.) - simple roll-and-write solution is fine
E Simultaneous play: Choose dice from pool, slam dice cup on table, evaluate, maybe mitigate, resolve, repeat - until score or turnover.
E Resolution probably just numbers (OMG), D4-D12?
E Variability and strategy through "customizable" dice-roll modifiers (a Rattle-Bone-style die per player or so)
E Core mechanic: You can use more/several dice in one turn to increase chances - but will struggle because of fewer dice later in the round (before all dice are re-set)

E Fast, nearly real-time
E Bluffing, Rock-Paper-Scissors, Guessing type of opponents action (Run, Pass, etc.)
E Potentially dexterity elements, flicking; maybe this is a variant
E Potentially programmable movement (several dice cups that get resolved after each other; bigger success or bigger failure)
E Probabally spatial element; Basic: Players slam dice cups against each other - representing the "gain line"; additional spaces?
E Yardage measured by cubes that you take from opponent - or loose to them
E No yatzeh-style re-rolls, thinky dice-placement, card-driven extra-powers or other elements that slow the game down.

I guess that's it for now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast dice games with unusual mechanisms (simultaneous action, spatial element)?

Hey there, I wonder why there hasn't been a single answer to this yet. There must be some dice games you can recommend me?

Maybe my bullets were too much – or too many? I guess I could also have been just writing:

What quick 2p dice games are out there with unusual/innovative mechanisms? (With quick meaning: No downtime through e.g. dice placement or card texts.)

Note: I browsed through the top-ranked dice games and watched a few "Top 10 dice games" videos... but couldn't find much that helped me.

Was it the theme? It doesn't need to be any sports games or so. Anything could work that is neither too thinky/slow not too bland (untwisted roll-and-resolve).
Area control aspects are welcome. (Just not the sort of "Put threes onto location 3" as Capo Dei Capi is, I think).

Everything is welcome. Thanks!

Thinking about it, I have two more easy questions:

What are the good, modern roll-and-move/resolve games?

What good games can you think of where you form combinations (think poker hands) with dice?

If you're interested, here's a bit more background:

As I wrote, I want to find/create a fast rugby dice game with some decisions. It should have "the pace of rugby". I'm thinking simultaneous action selection and bluffing. It'll be dice-chucking, dice-chucking and dice-chucking. I guess there'll be some form of roll-and-resolve. I fear maybe some people read that in my original post and lost interest in the thread immediately...
I admit am not sure if I'm onto something myself – as long as roll-and-resolve stands as the core mechanism.

I know there are some (a lot of) sports and dice games out there where you roll a number of dice and the roll shows some result (often words, e.g. "Home Run" or "Interception").
E.g. Pocket Sports Rugby or Sports Dice: Baseball. That's not what I'm interested in.

I'm thinking rather 1st & Goal and its expansions without the cards. I'm thinking Bottom of the 9th but less detailed.
I'm also thinking Cube Quest - just not purely dexterity. I'm thinking Dice Masters (without all the cards and custom dice) as a sports game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.