Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was "Wow!"

So, to begin, I have a gaming buddy who has hundreds of games (yes, like most people on BGG - I realize that). As almost a kind of "assignment" my 22 year old son gave this friend a request - a worker placement game, that had some sort of card drafting mechanic and was eithe sci-fy or fantasy themed. We had just played "Shadows Over Camelot" so my buddy brought out The Expanse.

Point 1: You don't have to know, like or even have any idea about the source material to enjoy the game.

Ironically, I might take a peek at the books or the show - but only because I really enjoyed the game. While I'm sure a background in the source material makes the game even better, the fact is, none of the four of us have ever heard of it. We all liked the game a great deal.

Point 2: The tensions are great - and not constant.
Because of the fact that each faction scores bonuses for 2 different resources - the factions are at odds with each other....but only over half their "preferred resources". This was brilliant, as it makes enemies into allies, but only for short times or in limited areas. It makes everyone uneasy with everyone else.

Point 3: You Won't Always Do What's Best For You - And You'll Like It! Another brilliant aspect of the game is the "If I just use this card for the 4 Action Points, my rivals might use the event portion". This sometimes leads to players taking actions that aren't the "optimal" play for them, simply to keep their opponents from getting an optimal chance. The way the initiative track plays into all of that is also very well done.

All in all, a great game. Very well put together. I can't comment on the quality, as my friend had plastic minis he has substituted for the ships and influence cubes - but the game itself is so good, the bits are just gravy anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good info. Thank you.

This has been sitting in my wish lists on many sites for a bit now, and I keep bypassing it.

I know almost nothing about the source material either. I bought the Season 1 DVDs , but they still sit in shrink 2 months later because a friend said I should read the first book beforehand to understand all the little hinted at things.

Anyone know how you actually pronounce the hero ships name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pronounced Rocinante
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Anyone know how you actually pronounce the hero ships name?

I believe it is pronounced Ross-In-Non-Tey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP - this is a great, simple and quick playing game.

I did know the theme before trying the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game given it was a Geoff Englestein design. Was intrigued by the backstory so watched the first 6 episodes on Netflix.

I thought that the Netflix episodes seemed to be rushing things and a little shallow and was convinced that it might be worth looking at the books.

After downloading the first on Audiobooks in November, I am just finishing book IV, Cibola Burn. I have number V downloaded.

They are excellent, can't recommend them enough and I my 27 year old son is now into them.

One of the writers is an adviser on The Game of Thrones.

The ship is named after Don Quixote's horse. The roe-see-nantay.
The crew affectionately call her the roe-see

The direct crew, Alex Kamal (pilot from Mars), Jim Holden (one of the books main protagonists and captain is from Earth), Amos Burton (mechanic and hard man is from Earth) and Natalie Nagata (XO and engineer from the "belt").

Real characters are written, believable sci-fi, which does not get in the way of the story and/or characters.

Think a bit like Star Wars crossed with Game of Thrones.

Book 1 v.good but next books better.

Nuff said?

PS: no spoilers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
As almost a kind of "assignment" my 22 year old son gave this friend a request - a worker placement game, that had some sort of card drafting mechanic and was eithe sci-fy or fantasy themed.

Incidentally, if there's another "assignment" in the works, Advanced Search is your friend!

Sci-fy
Fantasy

Of course, The Expanse doesn't show up in either list since BGG says it's neither worker placement nor card drafting! Sounds like a good game, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only concern with the game is replayability. It seems as though, while the cards can change, with objectives, starting swtups, "preferred resources" all being the same, the CMDS might get repetitive after a handful of plays.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.