6 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie missing a basic concept somewhere rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Elswit
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, brace yourself for the stupidest question imaginable, but it's driving me crazy, so I've swallowed my shame and posted here.

I don't get the max payload chart. A Juno rocket, with a mass of 1, doing a difficulty 2 maneuver... Thrust = 2 x 1, which is 2. By my reckoning that leaves 2 thrust left for payload out of the original 4. But the max payload mass chart says a Juno can only take 1 mass on a maneuver difficulty of 2. What am I missing? It seems like the chart sutracts the rocket's mass twice.

Guess I'm just not a rocket scientist. Yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
delswit wrote:
Okay, brace yourself for the stupidest question imaginable, but it's driving me crazy, so I've swallowed my shame and posted here.

I don't get the max payload chart. A Juno rocket, with a mass of 1, doing a difficulty 2 maneuver... Thrust = 2 x 1, which is 2. By my reckoning that leaves 2 thrust left for payload out of the original 4. But the max payload mass chart says a Juno can only take 1 mass on a maneuver difficulty of 2. What am I missing? It seems like the chart sutracts the rocket's mass twice.

You are right if the rocket is flying by itself. Now, add a 1 weight payload to the rocket. Total weight is 2. A difficulty 2 maneuver with a weight of 2 means you need 4 thrust, which is what one Juno provides.

If you have a Juno carrying a 3 weight payload, and do a 1 difficulty maneuver, total weight is 4 x1 difficulty means you need 4 thrust, what the Juno provides.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juno mass 1 + Payload mass 2 = Total mass 3

3 x 2 = 6

ie 1 Juno can't push itself + 2 payload
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
delswit wrote:

It isn't subtracting the rocket's mass twice, it is subtracting the payload's mass x2 because it is a difficulty 2 maneuver. The maneuver difficulty multiplies the total mass, both payload and rocket, not just the rocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delswit wrote:
By my reckoning that leaves 2 thrust left for payload out of the original 4.
So far right, after covering its own mass the Juno supplies a surplus of two thrust. Here's the trick: next divide the surplus by the difficulty to get the payload mass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Elswit
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! The lightbulb just went off. Thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.