Subject: Pulse Cannon/Disruption Cell strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Azn Banjo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Hi All,

We just grabbed the Pulse Cannon and Disruption Cell combo after the last mission, and I'm curious if anyone has any general rules they use to determine if/when/which dice to replace with the red. The obvious one to swap would be the yellow if you need to make sure you hit range 5, but you lose out on the surge dice, and might not have enough to get that ~+2D if they get cancelled.

Also, do you chose your dice to swap differently when up against black vs white defense?

I started crunching the numbers on a few charts but the player that has the gun is not that type of player--he'll probably just go with his gut (or random) if I don't tell him which to swap. o_O

Also--we have Mak with the DXR-6, and just gave Fenn the Pulse Cannon/Disruption cell. Mak is a standard DPS build and Fenn is mostly blast-focused. I'm seriously considering having them swap, so Mak could use it 3x a round with No Escape. Fenn should be fine applying damage for blast with double red.

My thoughts on this: Fenn previously had the T-21, so with his Lone Wolf and extra attack surges, we haven't had to manage his strain much. Obviously this would be different with the DXR-6.

Also, at least Mak is often focused, so he actually gets to use the surge on the DXR-6 once in a while. But he's also often strained out, and the pulse cannon could help that out. Range shouldn't be a problem since with the disruption cell the Pulse Cannon would get Range 5 100% of the time, and we have his shadow suit so we don't have rely on Covert to use his Ambush Pierce 2.

Any thoughts on this? Obviously I'm a min/maxer and have thought way to much about this already. =O We've just focused on making Mak the single target damage dealer and Fenn our blast guy, so it's hard for me to put the gun with the highest DPS on Fenn and not someone who can attack 3x/round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If range isn't an issue then obviously you want to swap the blue for red. If range is an issue, it seems that swapping yellow for red will yield the best results (by not having guaranteed range, you're essentially giving the defender a "dodge" chance). Although if the range is really high, you might not want to even use the red dice at all.

If you don't already know, this calculator (http://mattyellen.github.io/imperial-assault-calculator/) exists and is really great for messing around with numbers. I use it a lot for PBF games on here, and have occasionally brought it out for my rebels to use in really tense situations, but would advise against letting people use this every turn, as it really can slow things down and detracts a lot from the fun! That said, for deciding on weapon upgrades and on how to organise attachments it can be great. It's also really good at giving you a feel for what your new setup is good at.

When I messed around with different ranges and defence dice I found that if you need range -> replace yellow. If you don't need range -> replace blue. I guess the intermediate step of if you need 4 range -> replace green is probably also true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for Fenn, you often won't need lots of single target damage if your focus is on blasting small groups of Stormtroopers. You only need his weapon to deal 2-3 damage to the primary target, which the plasma cell is definitely overkill for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Range 3 or less you replace blue, range 4 or more you replace yellow.

As you say Mak attacks more often than Fenn so should have the best gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Voss
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
I guess the intermediate step of if you need 4 range -> replace green is probably also true.

You might not want to do that. The green die has the second highest amount of damage symbols, after the red. It also has the second best accuracy and second best surge amount. Replacing the blue will always be better than replacing the green unless you need the accuracy.

Tbh, changing the yellow or the blue will have almost the exact effect. Usually replacing the blue is slightly better, but with Focus and Pierce 2 (from Ambush), replacing the yellow is slightly better because Mak becomes more likely to oversurge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Although if the range is really high, you might not want to even use the red dice at all.

Disruption Cell is not optional (no cost, no "may", or even "use"). If you have attached the Disruption Cell to a weapon you use for an attack, you must replace one die with a red die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Although if the range is really high, you might not want to even use the red dice at all.

Disruption Cell is not optional (no cost, no "may", or even "use"). If you have attached the Disruption Cell to a weapon you use for an attack, you must replace one die with a red die.

That's awesome. I did not realize that. I'm pretty sure we've played this wrong a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azn Banjo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the info! I sat down and ran bunch of chart tests on the Mattyellen calc too, so I'll do exactly as you guys said--Range 1-3 we'll swap Blue (RGY) and range 4+ we'll swap yellow (RGB).

I ran similar tests for focused Mak as well, and got similar results.
It seemed like if Mak has it and is focused, at range 4+ it best to roll RBGG. At closer range it seems basically the same to roll RBGG or RGGY. Swapping the green (RBGY)seems terrible no matter what, even if it seems so cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.