The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Is this the same as pathfinder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After reading a bit about the game, it sounds quite a bit like pathfinder... I think... how is it different? And I like pathfinder a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about Pathfinder Adventure Card Game?

If so, to me they are barely similar at all. 7th continent has a lot of exploring, discovery, puzzle solving, and the occasional fight, whereas PACG is mostly about fighting and acquiring items to improve your ability to fight.

Now, Apocrypha, on the other hand, has a lot of similarities to PACG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even close. I can't think of any similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
They both have cards with text on them.. very similar compared to say, the nesting habits of the New Zealand Kakapo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok thanks, I have not played pathfinder the adventure card game in a while, but my memories of it seemed similar to some of the reviews i was watching. Seems like is pretty unique. I think I might have to go all in while it is still available. As many are saying if I do not like it I can probably sell it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
They both have cards with text on them.. very similar compared to say, the nesting habits of the New Zealand Kakapo.

7th Continent has square tiles that build the map. They are printed on card stock. There is a "deck" that has several purposes, but not really like other card games. And your "hand" is just a very few "cards" many of which get built into items with dice on them to trace uses. Not like other card games.

7th Continent is really unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
R3DSH1FT wrote:

7th Continent has square tiles that build the map. They are printed on card stock. There is a "deck" that has several purposes, but not really like other card games. And your "hand" is just a very few "cards" many of which get built into items with dice on them to trace uses. Not like other card games.

7th Continent is really unique.

Totally agree. I think the game it is closest to is Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. You are doing skill checks to perform various actions. The board is made up of tiles with artwork that depicts actions you can take. You have a character that moves around on the growing map. You have a hand of cards / inventory and states / abilities that you use to help or hurt you along the way... you are trying to solve a mystery and some of the actions involve puzzle solving.

I'm not saying these games are alike exactly, but they have some definite mechanic similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
7th Continent is Choose Your Own Adventure: The Board Game.

Think those type of fantasy books that were popular in the 80's paired with map tiles and some light game mechanics, or point-and-click adventure video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
7th Continent is Choose Your Own Adventure: The Board Game.

Think those type of fantasy books that were popular in the 80's paired with map tiles and some light game mechanics, or point-and-click adventure video games.

I wouldn’t downplay the mechanisms too much. You can’t succeed in this game if you don’t play the deck to stay alive. Starvation and failure await anymore who goes in thinking they can simply choose a path over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
They couldn' be farther remote from each other really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These games have nothing in common apart from the use of cards.
It's like comparing 7C to Who wants to be a millionaire, just because they both have cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are so different that it really makes me wonder what the OP had been reading that made the two games sound similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:
The two games are so different that it really makes me wonder what the OP had been reading that made the two games sound similar.

I suppose if you are looking at the insides of the boxes and seeing large trays of cards with dividers they look a little similar in pictures until you actually see a game in play. But you could say the same then for smashup or thunderstone or legendary etc...

I suppose there is also the mechanic where the cards you have are tied to your life, and if you run out of cards you die (not really the case of course in 7th continent, but you are at RISK of dying once out of cards).

As I recall the monk in pathfinder can burn through a lot of cards to do a lot of damage in combat, but this risks them dying faster. Somewhat similar to the energy mechanic in 7th continent where you can choose to spend more cards to increase the odds of completing a task at the risk of becoming exhausted earlier.

I am stretching here.... heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:

The only thing I can think of is:
Pathfinder is subtitled 'The Adventure Card Game'.
7th continent is actually an adventure card game and described as a choose-your-own-adventure game done with cards.

Although the word adventure is used to mean different things in both cases, the similarity in description could have confused the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I havenot played pathfinder for a year or more, but when I remember it, we had an adventure to go on and fight things and roll the dice to determine outcome and you advanced your character and we went to different places like dungeons and stuff. And your life was in the deck of cards and when you ran out you died, etc. A review I watched of 7th just reminded me of it is all.

Suffice to say many of you say it is not similar, ok. I get it, just asking! I am a casual gamer and not very experienced with different games. This looked really interesting just wondered if it was different enough to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamenurse wrote:
Well I havenot played pathfinder for a year or more, but when I remember it, we had an adventure to go on and fight things and roll the dice to determine outcome and you advanced your character and we went to different places like dungeons and stuff. And your life was in the deck of cards and when you ran out you died, etc. A review I watched of 7th just reminded me of it is all.

Suffice to say many of you say it is not similar, ok. I get it, just asking! I am a casual gamer and not very experienced with different games. This looked really interesting just wondered if it was different enough to get it.

Sounds like it's definitely different enough (can's say as I've never played Pathfinder). Don't worry about the snarkiness on this thread. People who spend 2+ hrs on BGG every day and respond to every thread sometimes forget that casual gamers are out there and might ask a question that to them seems silly. I'm one of those 2+ hrs on BGG guys myself (so I'm not throwing stones), but it's always good remember that not everyone does hours of research before posting a question on the forums and that's OK!

Regardless, the game is really great. I especially think it is great for a more casual gamer or group. There are not devilishly difficult puzzles to solve or game states to analyze. There is enough meat on the bone to make it interesting and allow you to make some tough choices, but by and large it's just fun and gives you a ton of agency in making decisions and choosing how to progress. I really enjoyed it solo and have started a new game with my casual gaming wife and 9 y.o. son. It works just fine in both settings.

The one caution I'll mention is that it can feel a bit grindy at times when your life deck is getting low and you need to hunt to fill it back up. A few bad card draws and you can get really frustrated and spend a lot of time just trying to get back healthy. This is totally fine within the framework of the game, but if you spend 90 mins of your 2 hrs of gametime just trying to get your deck full, it's going to feel like you didn't accomplish much.

Final thing to consider is that the base game has a mechanic where if you die, you start over from the beginning. The first and longest curse took me 15-20 hrs to beat and I finally beat it on my 4th try... The last failure was after 10-12 hrs of play, so it was pretty heartbreaking to go back to start. Some people love that challenge and strive to do better next time. For others, this is a rage-inducing development and it ruins the whole experience. Note: the KS includes a stretch goal with something called "Immortal Mode" which removes the start over in favor of some other penalty... so this should fix it... but you only get that if you back the new expansion "What Goes Up Must Come Down" so a Rookie Pledge will get you the new mode along with the base game and a ton of extra expansion content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamenurse wrote:

I'm sorry if my response came across as snarky - that wasn't my intent. I was genuinely interested in what you had seen that gave you the impression that they were similar games is all. I've seen video reviews for both games and had never gotten such an impression. Again, sorry if I offended in some way. It's easy to misunderstand and miscommunicate over these here internets.

7th Continent is truly a unique game. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Christensen
Austria
Elsbethen
Salzburg
flag msg tools
Imo the decisions you make in 7th Continent are way more interesting and meaningful than in the Pathfinder card game. The only thing that Pathfinder ACG does "better" is the leveling system which is not existant in 7th Continent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:

Sounds like it's definitely different enough (can's say as I've never played Pathfinder). Don't worry about the snarkiness on this thread. People who spend 2+ hrs on BGG every day and respond to every thread sometimes forget that casual gamers are out there and might ask a question that to them seems silly. I'm one of those 2+ hrs on BGG guys myself (so I'm not throwing stones), but it's always good remember that not everyone does hours of research before posting a question on the forums and that's OK!

Well said. We shall not forget that all of us once were newbees.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.