Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Removing roles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
I’ve had the game for a while now...love it!

We have always played with 5 players...I’m the type of player who likes to play with full player counts, especially in a game like this. My question is this: how good is the game with fewer and automated roles added in? Is the experience just as good or does it feel lacking? I just got the fearsome foes expansion and while I WILL likely ignore the suggestion to not play with 6 or 7 players, still, I want to know how good a game experience you get by ommitteding player controlled characters. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always had fun at every player count.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timpkmn89
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don't worry, it was playtested and designed with all player counts in mind. You'll still enjoy it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with as many as five and as few as two.

It's been great every time. Impressively so.

Do not hesitate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callum Baird
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I've played over 50 games, most at the two-player count, some three, and every role solo. We sometimes do a campaign where my partner plays the knight, and I play each of the other roles in four games. It takes about four hours, but it's lots of fun, and I'm looking forward to doing this with the new roles.

We've also set ourselves the goal of playing every role combination at 2 player this year. That's over 200 games!

One thing I've learned is that certain combos at different player counts can seem wildly unbalanced, so you have to adapt your usual play style. I was losing every game as the thief against the knight until I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Also, two-player has less downtime and plays quickly compared to three player, and there is more strategy, but you lose some of the abilities.

Pros and cons to all the combos and all the player counts, but you'll have to adjust your play style and mindset if your used to, and you enjoy, the chaos and interaction of the larger player counts.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Callum B wrote:
I've played over 50 games, most at the two-player count, some three, and every role solo. We sometimes do a campaign where my partner plays the knight, and I play each of the other roles in four games. It takes about four hours, but it's lots of fun, and I'm looking forward to doing this with the new roles.

We've also set ourselves the goal of playing every role combination at 2 player this year. That's over 200 games!

One thing I've learned is that certain combos at different player counts can seem wildly unbalanced, so you have to adapt your usual play style. I was losing every game as the thief against the knight until I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Also, two-player has less downtime and plays quickly compared to three player, and there is more strategy, but you lose some of the abilities.

Pros and cons to all the combos and all the player counts, but you'll have to adjust your play style and mindset if your used to, and you enjoy, the chaos and interaction of the larger player counts.



What's your favourite 2 player combination?

Is Knight vs Cave kinda similar to Solo knight? Like, does it feel like Solo Knight but with a 'player' rather than an 'AI' controlling the cave?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bamber
United Kingdom
Oxted
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see how you can lose a solo game. As far as I can see the purpose is so that you can familiarise yourself with the mechanics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slimy_asparagus wrote:
I don't really see how you can lose a solo game. As far as I can see the purpose is so that you can familiarise yourself with the mechanics.


I'm not sure who you're replying to, but I just got this game and have played two solo knight games. And lost both
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bamber
United Kingdom
Oxted
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt09 wrote:
slimy_asparagus wrote:
I don't really see how you can lose a solo game. As far as I can see the purpose is so that you can familiarise yourself with the mechanics.


I'm not sure who you're replying to, but I just got this game and have played two solo knight games. And lost both


So maybe you're not that familiar with the game yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slimy_asparagus wrote:
Matt09 wrote:
slimy_asparagus wrote:
I don't really see how you can lose a solo game. As far as I can see the purpose is so that you can familiarise yourself with the mechanics.


I'm not sure who you're replying to, but I just got this game and have played two solo knight games. And lost both


So maybe you're not that familiar with the game yet.


That is very true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callum Baird
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Matt09 wrote:
What's your favourite 2 player combination?


Easily the Dragon vs Knight, but I feel like I'm well versed in the intricacies of playing the dragon. I also love smashing the board to pieces using Wrath, even if it destroys us all. It sets the tone for my desire to leave the cave or bring everybody down with me.

The great thing about this game is it suits different play styles, so players can try different roles. The Vile Ghoul is another one of my favourites, but since I tend to destroy the Knight in 2p, it requires too much rebalancing to make it as enjoyable.

Matt09 wrote:
Is Knight vs Cave kinda similar to Solo knight? Like, does it feel like Solo Knight but with a 'player' rather than an 'AI' controlling the cave?


The Knight vs Cave is much harder than Knight solo. The Knight solo game is almost too easy since you know that the crystal tiles are dealt equally to each third stack. This can be remedied by cutting the stacks, removing crystal tiles, lowering health, etc. But with the Cave player actively throwing obstacles in your way, the game becomes more tense in 2p, and trying to figure out where the Cave is placing crystal tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.