Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Vivarium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifying Movement Rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
More Meeples
msg tools
mbmbmb
My aim here is to have a concise discirption of how movement works, but first thanks and apologies if I'm repeating content.



"Inherent movement": During your turn all animals can move once to a neibouring territory for free, or does that cost energy?


Unflipping the token: After the inherent movement the animal token is flipped to it's exhausted state, the rules then talk about flipping it again, but I didn't notice it say what conditions need to be met for that to happen, it talks about free movement, but it's not clear to me if free movement implicitly unflip the token or not.

Combat: There is a rule that you can move for free into an occupied territory - can that happen after the inherent movement, after the token has been flipped to it's exhausted state?

Extra movement: When my animal token is in the exhausted state, for whatever reason, can I now pay energy to move it (according to the cost on my animal board?) is there any limit to the amount of times I can do this in one turn? What if the animal board shows a cost of 0, if, hypothetically, there were many 0 cost zones next to each other, does that maean I could move through all of them at no cost?


More concisely:


Is inherent movement always free?

In a single turn, after inherent movement, (when the token is in it's exhausted state) when can the token be flipped back to being active?


Can the conditions described above happen multiple times for one animal in one turn?
(Eg: Can i, with one animal, pay to move as many times as I can afford, or move for free as many times as that condition is met?


Thanks. This game seems really super.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb O
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Inherent movement IS always free. If you have moved into one territory type, and your favoured territory is adjacent, you can then move into it. Or, you can Inherent Move to favoured territory, then pay energy to move to the next, and then become exhausted/flip your tokens.

2. There are cards that allow you to flip your tokens back, thereby allowing further movement. Otherwise, you just wait until the start of your next turn.

3. You get 1 free inherent movement for each token. You can pay to move into one type of territory. After that, no more movement, unless you have special abilities that help.

In relation to combat: you can move for free into a territory that an opponent occupies. BUT. If you pay energy to move adjacent to them, and they are NOT in your favoured territory, you cannot move again to attack. If they are in your favoured territory, you can move to attack. If they are not, but you moved next to them into your favoured territory (your free, inherent movement) you can attack them. Note: this paragraph is how I have interpreted the rules and played. I could be wrong. The previous three answers I'm pretty sure I'm right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
More Meeples
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am really confused by some of the movement rules, and I think some of the explanations below are incorrect and/or misleading. Can someone please clarify?

Ioannidas wrote:
1. Inherent movement IS always free. If you have moved into one territory type, and your favoured territory is adjacent, you can then move into it. Or, you can Inherent Move to favoured territory, then pay energy to move to the next, and then become exhausted/flip your tokens.


I think this is blatantly wrong/misleading. INHERENT movement is the one move each animal is allowed each turn and it is not necessarily "free." It is only free if the cost to move into that territory has "0" cost for that animal, for example tigers moving into a forest or grassland territory. After using this movement, each animal is flipped to its resting side.

Ioannidas wrote:
2. There are cards that allow you to flip your tokens back, thereby allowing further movement. Otherwise, you just wait until the start of your next turn.


This is mostly correct, except that technically all animals are flipped to their active side at the start of each SEASON.

Ioannidas wrote:
3. You get 1 free inherent movement for each token. You can pay to move into one type of territory. After that, no more movement, unless you have special abilities that help.


I think if you remove the word "free," this statement is correct. Again, as in #1, the inherent move is not necessarily free. And remember, even if the movement has 0 cost to move a token into the territory, it still uses up the inherent move for that token and flips it to its resting side.

Ioannidas wrote:
In relation to combat: you can move for free into a territory that an opponent occupies. BUT. If you pay energy to move adjacent to them, and they are NOT in your favoured territory, you cannot move again to attack. If they are in your favoured territory, you can move to attack. If they are not, but you moved next to them into your favoured territory (your free, inherent movement) you can attack them. Note: this paragraph is how I have interpreted the rules and played. I could be wrong. The previous three answers I'm pretty sure I'm right.


Ignoring the liberal use of free, I think this is mostly correct except for the one clarification I need: Can you use your animal's Territory Ability - the one to give a usually free move - into your animal's "favored" territory as Ioannidas calls it, BEFORE you use your inherent move for the turn? Or does using this free territory movement ability flip the token to the resting side? The rules clearly state you can do the inherent move first and flip the token to the resting side, then do the animal's territory move even if the animal is "resting."

For example, can the Bears use their Roaming ability first - move one bear of a pair to an adjacent territory at zero cost, then use the other bear's inherent movement to pay to cost to join the first bear. Another example, can Tigers use their Camouflage ability to freely move into a grassland, then use their inherent movement to move an adjacent space occupied by another animal, or does their Camouflage move flip them to their resting side?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb O
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
OK, I am really confused by some of the movement rules, and I think some of the explanations below are incorrect and/or misleading. Can someone please clarify?

Ioannidas wrote:
1. Inherent movement IS always free. If you have moved into one territory type, and your favoured territory is adjacent, you can then move into it. Or, you can Inherent Move to favoured territory, then pay energy to move to the next, and then become exhausted/flip your tokens.


I think this is blatantly wrong/misleading. INHERENT movement is the one move each animal is allowed each turn and it is not necessarily "free." It is only free if the cost to move into that territory has "0" cost for that animal, for example tigers moving into a forest or grassland territory. After using this movement, each animal is flipped to its resting side.

Ioannidas wrote:
2. There are cards that allow you to flip your tokens back, thereby allowing further movement. Otherwise, you just wait until the start of your next turn.


This is mostly correct, except that technically all animals are flipped to their active side at the start of each SEASON.

Ioannidas wrote:
3. You get 1 free inherent movement for each token. You can pay to move into one type of territory. After that, no more movement, unless you have special abilities that help.


I think if you remove the word "free," this statement is correct. Again, as in #1, the inherent move is not necessarily free. And remember, even if the movement has 0 cost to move a token into the territory, it still uses up the inherent move for that token and flips it to its resting side.

Ioannidas wrote:
In relation to combat: you can move for free into a territory that an opponent occupies. BUT. If you pay energy to move adjacent to them, and they are NOT in your favoured territory, you cannot move again to attack. If they are in your favoured territory, you can move to attack. If they are not, but you moved next to them into your favoured territory (your free, inherent movement) you can attack them. Note: this paragraph is how I have interpreted the rules and played. I could be wrong. The previous three answers I'm pretty sure I'm right.


Ignoring the liberal use of free, I think this is mostly correct except for the one clarification I need: Can you use your animal's Territory Ability - the one to give a usually free move - into your animal's "favored" territory as Ioannidas calls it, BEFORE you use your inherent move for the turn? Or does using this free territory movement ability flip the token to the resting side? The rules clearly state you can do the inherent move first and flip the token to the resting side, then do the animal's territory move even if the animal is "resting."

For example, can the Bears use their Roaming ability first - move one bear of a pair to an adjacent territory at zero cost, then use the other bear's inherent movement to pay to cost to join the first bear. Another example, can Tigers use their Camouflage ability to freely move into a grassland, then use their inherent movement to move an adjacent space occupied by another animal, or does their Camouflage move flip them to their resting side?


I hadn’t considered that interpretation. Hopefully the creator can give us an answer/clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the very first move of Corey Le Mesurier's play-through video, his opponent used the Tiger's Territory movement first, then used their inherent movement after. Still, it would be nice to get confirmation that this is allowed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Le Mesurier
msg tools
Apologies if I missed this one, but I think this has been answered elsewhere.

Inherent movement costs what the species board says. Sometimes it will be zero, but more commonly it won't be. hgcoleman's example is correct.

You can use your Territory ability before your inherent movement, so you can use the bear's Roaming ability to move to an adjacent Territory for free and then pay the cost of the Inherent movement to rejoin the first bear. Same goes for tigers and Camouflage. The Territory ability doesn't affect the resting/active status of the animal and can be used before or after Inherent movement.

Hope that's clearer.

Cheers,
Corey
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.