Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

The Hunger Games: District 12 Strategy Games is a mass market game that actually has a game in the box. I will go on record saying this is the best Hunger Games on the market, but will readily admit that isn't saying very much at all.

There is actually an attempt to make a good, unique game. This is a hand management game where you can plan on your game. You really just move around the board drawing and discarding cards trying to have the required cards that will need to be discarded, while also trying to score the most amount of points. This is harder than it sounds!

This sort of feels like Hunger Games, but a part of it you don't see much in the movie (and this game is based off the movie, not the books). You will go around getting resources (cards) while risking some times throwing your name in the Glass Bowl and increasing your chances of being selected as tribute.

This is a fun side of Hunger Games, but likely not the part of the movie most people wanted to play in a board game (most people likely wanted the action/last half of the movie). Even so, this is a great little mass market game that at least slightly gives me a feel of the first part of the Hunger Games movie.

I have a hard time recommending this game for anyone that isn't a Hunger Games fan. And you sort of need to know what you are getting into with this game also. It is so bizarre what part of the movie the game is set on. It also likely last a tad too long, although you need that time to have control to build your hand (too short and it is random if it is shorter). This isn't a gamer's game, but not a bad family style game. I'm keeping it around as my wife likes the Hunger Games and I know my daughter will get into the movies at some point and then I'll be able to drag this game off and blow off the dust.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are a tad better than mass market. The box is way too big likely due to the fact the board doesn't fold. Some of the cards use stills from the movie, but others are devoid of any art work. The cards are small, but there isn't anything here to write home about.

Rule Book:

The rule book is good. There are plenty of pictures and examples. The last page is a reference sheet and there are rules for 2 and 3 players. Otherwise, you can read this book in just a few minutes and be up and playing. I didn't have any issues or questions about reading the book.

Flow of the Game:

The game is played over 12 rounds.

1. Move Round Token: If there is something printed on it, follow the directions.

2. Move Player Tokens: You must move to a different area on the board and activate it. Each space has a limited number of spaces you can choose. If all the spaces are full, you cannot take that space (think worker placement). When you enter a space, you follow the instructions associated with that area.

Different areas:

A. Woods - Draw 3 cards, if a food is taken you may take 1 food.
B. Everdeen House - Take the top card off the deck.
C. Hob - Two spaces: Choose one and each space has a deck of cards above it. Examine the deck and choose 1 card to keep.
D. Bakery - Two spaces and two face up decks: Take all the face up cards depending on which of the two spaces you chose.
E. Capitol Storage - Trade one card from your hand with one card from here (this is the discard pile for the game).
F. Justice Building - Discard 1 card upon entering; then trade places without another pawn on the board and interact with that space.

What am I doing?

You are building a hand of resource cards. If the round event card asks you to discard a certain type of card and you don't have it, you then add a card to the Glass Ball.

Each of the resource cards are worth a number of resource points. At times, you will be asked to discard down to 6 (otherwise you can have more which are used to discard when needed).

At the end of the game, the Glass Ball will be shuffled and one card drawn. Which ever player's card is drawn, that player loses the game despite how many VP they have. Some people are going to hate this.

Then, each player shows their hand and whoever has the most resource points (VP) wins the game.

Should I buy this game?:

This is actually a decent game and is likely the best Hunger Games game on the market. If you are a big Hunger Games fan, then this may appeal to you. Otherwise, this is a light, "better than mass market" game that appeals to the fans of the IP. Tread lightly here.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Re: The Purge: # 1590 The Hunger Games: District 12 Strategy Games: This might be the best Hunger Games game, but is that saying much? Try it and may the Odds Ever be in your Favor
Suppose I know I don't have enough VPs to win. And suppose my sister has lots of VP but her card is chosen. Can I volunteer as tribute in her place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1590 The Hunger Games: District 12 Strategy Games: This might be the best Hunger Games game, but is that saying much? Try it and may the Odds Ever be in your Favor
EMBison wrote:
Suppose I know I don't have enough VPs to win. And suppose my sister has lots of VP but her card is chosen. Can I volunteer as tribute in her place?

Ha! While not a rule in the book, I will sanction this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.