Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Song
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My fiancee and I just got this game and man...we love it! But we get so defeated (mentally) by different cards and monsters, and have lost every game. For instance, one game all of our assets were getting removed from the game. Another game, these ridiculous monsters that had -2 strength dice with toughness of 3 were following us every reckoning, which was like 3 out of 4 mythos cards.

I still love it! But do I need an expansion to fix this game up? It seems impossible to play at 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remove all the hard Mythos cards (the ones with tentacles on them) and try it out. Add them back in when you get better at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game can be extremely difficult to win with only 2 investigators. You could try playing 2 investigators each. If that is not to your liking you could try removing the tentacle mythos cards. Choose investigators who are good at fighting and closing gates. Spend the first couple rounds gaining assets and go full speed on mysteries after that.

Personally I play with only 2 investigators and I pick them based on theme and fun and not on performance. Needless to say my win rate is quite low, but I quite enjoy being devoured by Ancient Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with 2 investigators each is an excellent suggestion. There is a reasonably steep learning curve for new players, especially if they are used to playing the old Arkham Horror board game, and try to use the same tactics in Eldritch Horror.

Keep playing, you will gradually become more successful.

Leave the hard Mythos cards in your game and play with 2 characters each for a while.

If that doesn't work out, there is a chance you are laboring under a rules misinterpretation. If you want to post a session report of the first few turns of your next game, the folks here will be able to analyze your play style and make suggestions on what you might be misinterpreting.

HAVE FUN !!

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:
My fiancee and I just got this game and man...we love it! But we get so defeated (mentally) by different cards and monsters, and have lost every game. For instance, one game all of our assets were getting removed from the game. Another game, these ridiculous monsters that had -2 strength dice with toughness of 3 were following us every reckoning, which was like 3 out of 4 mythos cards.

I still love it! But do I need an expansion to fix this game up? It seems impossible to play at 2 players.
It is very, very hard with 2 players simply because the map is so large and you have limited ability to move across the board. Although the Gates, Clues, Rumours, Mysteries and Surges are all scaled to the number of Investigators, IMO this scaling doesn't compensate for the fact that it takes you more turns (on average) to get to a Gate or Clue in a 2-P game than it does in a 6-P game. I've not thought about this overly much as I never play 2-P (or solo), but why don't you try either (1) raising the limit on the number of tickets you can hold (say to 3), or (2) giving yourself a "free" ticket of your choice every turn? (I wouldn't recommend doing both, it'll be too much of a Nerf.) Use this "variant" as training wheels until you get a handle on the game, after which you can try without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:

Play with 4 investigators. No other solution is viable, it's impossible to cover the whole map with just 2 investigators. Once we've started playing 2 investigators each with my girlfriend, we never went back to playing with just 1 investigator each. It's just that much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't like playing with multiple characters, but I think if you don't want to lose consistently at this (often through no fault of your own), two each is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:
But do I need an expansion to fix this game up?

No - everyone's favourite first expansion to buy, Forsaken Lore, actually makes the game a little bit harder.

What might help a little is bringing in the Focus rule, which you can find in official expansion rulebooks online: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/eldritch-horr...

"This expansion introduces a new action that can be performed by any investigator. As an action, an investigator on any space gains one Focus token.

^ An investigator may spend one Focus token to reroll one die when resolving a test. There is no limit to the number of Focus tokens he can spend to reroll dice.

^ An investigator cannot have more than two Focus tokens."

Focus tokens are just blank counters, you can use coins, chips, cough drops, anything you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Song
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which expansions do I find the focus tokens? I heard Strange Remnants and Mountains of Madness? But Strange Remnants is Out of Stock and Mountains of Madness is Average or not as loved. Are there any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:
Which expansions do I find the focus tokens? I heard Strange Remnants and Mountains of Madness? But Strange Remnants is Out of Stock and Mountains of Madness is Average or not as loved. Are there any more?

The Dreamlands. You can click through pictures of the expansions and look for small yellow discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:
Mountains of Madness is Average or not as loved. Are there any more?

Don't discount Mountains of Madness, I think it's the best one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmysong wrote:

The Dreamlands.

But the simpler solution is to use a bunch of pennies, beads, or other generic markers for the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Base + Strange remnants and the Forsaken lore (Yig)

Me and my fiance are so far on a winning streak 2 out of 2. Cthulu and Azatoth downed one shots. She's really struggling with the game and has pretty much 0 to no impact what so ever, unless I pretty much "guide" her on what to do when she feels totally lost, but I try to let her struggle to figure it out on her own.

Azatoth - was about to make me not like the game, seemed like an easy one shot.

Honestly the Cthulu win we got 1 hour ago was pure luck, we were down on the ropes, literally as the daughter of Cthulu killed my investigator as a result of reckoning, we still had some time on the doom track and I picked the Soldier guy. Next turn nothing important happened, we were simply trying to go back to America to kill the daughter, the timer reached 0, Cthulu got pretty angry at us

His daughter died and I looted my other char's body as an encounter on the same space (3rd mystery was solved). We didn't got a reckoning on the Mythos... Otherwise we would have lost. As Cthulu already got quite a few tokens on his face due to overrun of portals.

Then my fiance traded me all her stuff and I was able to reach Chulu(luckaly there were no Eldritch tokens on the path). Luckily AGAIN was able to pass his sanity check with 1 sanity left. Again LUCKILY with a heavy roll on strength (that soldier guy + his gasoline item - 9 dice) and 1 focus + 2 clue token, I was able to make 5 successes and kill him (funny I got the 5th success on the last re-roll).

I think this game is designed for everybody to understand the rules and what they have to do at any given time or just go on the luck train.

PS. We were using tentacles Mythos as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
steelhoh wrote:

Me and my fiance are so far on a winning streak 2 out of 2. Cthulu and Azatoth downed one shots.

Interesting... I've always found Azathoth reasonably tough, especially with Forsaken Lore in the mix and when the other players aren't too familiar with the game. Are you sure you're playing by all the correct rules?

The old 'common rules mistakes' thread is always worth a browse

In particular, playing against Azathoth, did you advance Doom for each Gate matching the current Omen (as normal for all Ancient Ones) as well as the extra Doom for Eldritch tokens when the Omen advanced to the green comet? Just checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenshrugs wrote:
steelhoh wrote:

Me and my fiance are so far on a winning streak 2 out of 2. Cthulu and Azatoth downed one shots.

Interesting... I've always found Azathoth reasonably tough, especially with Forsaken Lore in the mix and when the other players aren't too familiar with the game. Are you sure you're playing by all the correct rules?

The old 'common rules mistakes' thread is always worth a browse

In particular, playing against Azathoth, did you advance Doom for each Gate matching the current Omen (as normal for all Ancient Ones) as well as the extra Doom for Eldritch tokens when the Omen advanced to the green comet? Just checking.

It is possible to win with 2 investigators. It depends which Elder and which investigators.

I think EH can have a 30% win rate with 2. And that is almost perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, after all, it is Cthulhu...investigators are all supposed to die. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

I think EH can have a 30% win rate with 2. And that is almost perfect.

Based on submitted games, the win rate with 2 investigators is 45%, and with 4 investigators is 63%.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1075359/eldritch-horror-sta...

This is probably biased towards experienced players who are arguably more likely to log their games online. But still suggests that, with experience, your win rate can be a lot higher than you might think if you are starting out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joss Hevel

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I got this game, and we've played twice. We got absolutely owned both times. This thread really helped. We're going to try playing multiple investigators. If we don't like micro-managing all that, we may try either removing rumors or the focus tokens. I'm really glad I found all these responses.

Joss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.