Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pabs Fernandez
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, there are a load of Pandemic threads and none that I have seen specifically answer this question.

I'm thinking of sleeving my Pandemic cards after a game with a friend, in which he accidentally spilled beer on some cards and ate marinated olives while handling cards. Usually, I'm very cautious about the conditions under which we play but... well... I wasn't on the ball that day 11

Anyway, my question is about how everyone else out there with sleeved cards manages the player and epidemic decks. Obviously, when unsleeved, the cards have enough friction to remain on top of each other. When sleeved, I'm not sure if this is really possible. Do you all keep the cards in the box? Do you have some kind of special card box holder?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are sleeved, not because of liquid protection, but because small piles are so much easier to shuffle constantly.

They do fine, laying on top of each other. I alternated the orientation of the sleeve, but I don't know if that makes a difference. (I was experimenting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem with FFG sleeves not having enough friction for a stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
When sleeves are brand new they sometimes do slip around a bit. After a couple games playing with them they will be fine. Or if it bothers you sleeve them then shuffle a whole bunch before your first game and it should be fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pabs Fernandez
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh really? I did not honestly expect to hear that sleeves develop enough friction over time to hold together on a stack.

Yay! Thank you so much everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally no problems with our sleeved Pandemic cards staying a stack. They've been sleeved since we got it, and for probably around 100 games played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to like Matte sleeves more because they are less prone to toppling the stack when the table gets bumped. Sometimes you get weird print runs where the backs are pretty obvious as to which expansion that card came from (My On the Brink and State of Emergency cards are more 'purplish than blue), so opaque backs might be needed. I've sleeved all of the Player Deck cards in Dark Blue, Role cards in light blue (except for the 5 special roles which are in aqua/sea green), and Reference cards and other special cards (Sequence Deck and Goal from In the Lab) will be in clear.

If you do get the Biohazard Containment Crate, the FFG board game sleeves will NOT play nice with the card trench, being JUST big enough that they catch on the sides. So, gotta go with Ultra Pro clears if you plan on clear sleeving the Reference Cards, Sequence Deck, and Goal Cards to save money. At least, I know that the Ultra Pro LCG/TCG/ECG card sleeves will fit the Containment Crate. Dunno about Mayday sleeves (Standard, Premium, or Opaque. I know that they fit pretty close with the Yucatan Premiums for the Catan line or Ex Libris, but the cuts do vary with their cheaper sleeves, some of the square sleeves fitting the cards as neatly as the Premium Yucatan while others having the 'FFG Bigger than Mini Flap'.) or any of the other Major Brands with the Containment Crate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shan Rievan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
One thing you can try when sleeving is not sleeving right all the way to the bottom for FFG sleeves. By doing so you are balancing the middle of the sleeved cards so it doesn’t easily slide over.

That said, after a few playthroughs it shouldn’t slide around much with the trapped air gone from within the sleeves.

If it still does slide around a lot, and you are irked by it.. what you can do is get a deck holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erv Walter
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use UltraPro Pro-Matte sleeves for most games (that I sleeve), and they are excellent at staying in a stack, even when you bump the table pretty hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice for those that can use the FFG sleeves in any game outside of the mini sleeves (Mini American are an exact fit). Sadly, from my experience, the sleeves are JUST too tall that they catch the card trench in the Broken Token box, so that's why I gotta resleeve the Reference and Special Role cards. And with UP sleeves (for the rest of the cards) there's no way you can really safely set the FFG sleeved cards the other way (even with no ITL a good chunk of the trench is used with the dividers).

Next chance I get I should get some of the BT mini deck holders for games that use a lot of mini cards. I can make my own 'standard' deck holders instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
If you do get the Biohazard Containment Crate, the FFG board game sleeves will NOT play nice with the card trench, being JUST big enough that they catch on the sides. So, gotta go with Ultra Pro clears if you plan on clear sleeving the Reference Cards, Sequence Deck, and Goal Cards to save money. At least, I know that the Ultra Pro LCG/TCG/ECG card sleeves will fit the Containment Crate. Dunno about Mayday sleeves (Standard, Premium, or Opaque. I know that they fit pretty close with the Yucatan Premiums for the Catan line or Ex Libris, but the cuts do vary with their cheaper sleeves, some of the square sleeves fitting the cards as neatly as the Premium Yucatan while others having the 'FFG Bigger than Mini Flap'.) or any of the other Major Brands with the Containment Crate.

I have the Biohazard Containment Crate and use Mayday Premium sleeves and it's fine. It fits all the cards from all the expansions perfectly.
You can catch the cards in the grooves for the dividers if you rush dropping them in, but you can do that with unsleeved cards too, so just take the extra couple of seconds and you will be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.