Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - I did try to find my specific answer by searching but I didn't find it..

I think I get how Warp movement works.

I think I get how you can move multiple systems via warp.

I SEE where you get extra tokens by advancements...

What I don't get is...

A. Why do I need those extra tokens? Nothing in the rules states (that I found) that I need to get extra tokens. The rules seem to imply I can just "ADD" those tokens if I want them to stay in the warp.

This can't be true. Intuitively, It seems like I start with warp capability 1...meaning I can travel using 1 token (although the rules don't expressing state I have a token, but the rules example uses warp, so I'm making that assumption) and if I want to use more than 1 token, I need to get advancements with the warp icon on it.

Is this true? (PS I did look at the FAQ too...)

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try reading the “Traveling at Warp” section on page 11 and the fourth paragraph on page 25. That should clear up why you need those extra warp tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcial

São Paulo
São Paulo
msg tools
mbmb
The rules say, you can expend one command to put a ship/fleet at Warp, also if you have a complete advancement (with Warp token) you can use one more in all yours ships in Warp.
In this you can jump 2 systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, if you have two advancements with Warp tokens on them, you could do the following.

Spend 1 Command to go to Warp (place a warp token beside the ship pointing to the system it left).
Spend 1 Command to come out of warp 1 System away (for the one warp token it had) + 2 more systems away for the extra tokens granted by the Advancements.

So for 2 Commands, you can now move 3 systems as opposed to normally only being able to move 1. If you only spent the 1 Command to go to Warp, you can continue to build up even more Warp tokens each turn and jump even larger distances. Same is true if you collect more Advancements with Warp icons on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps you - you don't take any actual tokens for the warp symbols on advancements - you just mentally add them to the tokens you have collected on a ship or fleet that leaves warp, thus allowing it move that many systems further. Try seeing the advancement warp symbols as "bonus moves".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo You will also use Warp Tokens to mark the level of Warp Capable Civilizations discovered during Exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Basically, if you have two advancements with Warp tokens on them, you could do the following.

Spend 1 Command to go to Warp (place a warp token beside the ship pointing to the system it left).
Spend 1 Command to come out of warp 1 System away (for the one warp token it had) + 2 more systems away for the extra tokens granted by the Advancements.

So for 2 Commands, you can now move 3 systems as opposed to normally only being able to move 1. If you only spent the 1 Command to go to Warp, you can continue to build up even more Warp tokens each turn and jump even larger distances. Same is true if you collect more Advancements with Warp icons on them.

thanks - I understand now. I think it is your last para that causes some confusion in that - you *can* do what you want (multiple systems) if you spend more time - or you can jump multiple systems with more capability (the cards).

To the person who replied I should read page 11 - I did so, many times. I do not believe the rules are clear on this. (I know THIS is also a topic of contention from browsing the site - but I've read literally hundreds of rule sets and feel confident in my assessment. The rules are pretty, but not organized in a good - go right to the spot - way to answer questions.)

I appreciate the help - many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

thanks - I understand now. I think it is your last para that causes some confusion in that - you *can* do what you want (multiple systems) if you spend more time - or you can jump multiple systems with more capability (the cards).

To the person who replied I should read page 11 - I did so, many times. I do not believe the rules are clear on this. (I know THIS is also a topic of contention from browsing the site - but I've read literally hundreds of rule sets and feel confident in my assessment. The rules are pretty, but not organized in a good - go right to the spot - way to answer questions.)

I appreciate the help - many thanks

Oh, no, the rules on warp movement are very clear on how it works.

Please, explain what is not clear about this:

Quote:
To have a Ship at Warp Exit Warp, Exhaust a Command. When a Ship Exits Warp, it may move through a number of Systems equal to the Warp Tokens they've accumulated, plus the number of Warp Tokens pictured on your completed Advancements. If the Ship Entered Warp from a System, don't count the System in which it started.

And there's an example picture right underneath that that explains it quite clearly as well.

I also don't think you actually read the rules, or you didn't read them very well, because you said this:

Quote:
although the rules don't expressing state I have a token

And the very first paragraph about warp movement states:

Quote:
To Enter Warp, Exhaust a Command and move a Ship or Fleet just off the System or Space Lane they are in and place a Warp Token next to the Ship, pointing to the Sector from which they Entered Warp.

It then proceeds to explain how to accumulate additional warp tokens. In fact, it states it both in the second paragraph under "Entering Warp" and then has another section dedicated to that functionality called "Traveling at Warp".

If you had actually read page 11, warp movement is incredibly simple to understand, and it is definitely in a good "go right to the spot" way, as you put it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.